follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
username404

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited GB 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driver Side High Beam Not Working

'13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Just tested by swapping headlamps and looks like wiring issue is causing not be able to do high beam on the Driver Side.

If there a fuse or I have to trace the wiring harness?

Thanks.
username404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
FT&6

Drives: FRS Raven 6AT
If you haven't already, first check would be for corrosion on the pins in the pigtail or for a recessed pin on the headlights/pigtail not making contact. Otherwise check the fuses for each high beam in the engine bay fuse box.
FT&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT&6 View Post
If you haven't already, first check would be for corrosion on the pins in the pigtail or for a recessed pin on the headlights/pigtail not making contact. Otherwise check the fuses for each high beam in the engine bay fuse box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by username404 View Post
'13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Just tested by swapping headlamps and looks like wiring issue is causing not be able to do high beam on the Driver Side.

If there a fuse or I have to trace the wiring harness?

Thanks.

At least for the FR-S, I know that there is a relay (white/offwhite box) in the fuse box labeled "DRL" that controls both the high beams as well as DRL function, not sure about the BRZ though because it's headlights are OEM hid and LED boomerang DRL. If that relay were the issue then both headlights wouldn't be able to have DRLs or high beams not one. I suggests pulling or tugging on the wires coming from the pins on the connectors with the high beams on to see if it flashes on that side or something.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
username404 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
username404

Just swapped the sides and both work on passenger side only. Looks like wiring issue but not sure where to start yet. I guess connector on wiring hardness.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
the high beam is just a solenoid that lowers a plate in the projector to release the full beam. the HID bulb has nothing to do with the high beam actuation. it could be either a bad fuse, or a bad solenoid. I don't think it would be a problem with the actual wiring harness unless you personally messed with it and did something. just hope it's a bad fuse lol since it will cost some $$ to replace the solenoid. you can try speed cycling the high beam in case the solenoid is just some how stuck.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
username404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
the high beam is just a solenoid that lowers a plate in the projector to release the full beam. the HID bulb has nothing to do with the high beam actuation. it could be either a bad fuse, or a bad solenoid. I don't think it would be a problem with the actual wiring harness unless you personally messed with it and did something. just hope it's a bad fuse lol since it will cost some $$ to replace the solenoid. you can try speed cycling the high beam in case the solenoid is just some how stuck.
It can't be the solenoid because I took out the unit and connected to the passenger side wiring and it worked.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
It can't be the solenoid because I took out the unit and connected to the passenger side wiring and it worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post

I just double checked your fuse box you have the DRL relay that controls the high beams as well like in the FRS, looks like it's a connector or wiring harness issue, and @ryoma there is no "fuse" for the headlights it's a relay and resistor setup :

I'd check all the pins on the connector, when I was doing the DRL mod for my winjets on the FR-S I messed up a pin a bit and the high beams would only engage on one side until I jiggled the wiring harness and in turn the pin in the connector to the right position. I think you can now narrow this issue down
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
username404

YEP, IT WAS THE FUSE =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I just double checked your fuse box you have the DRL relay that controls the high beams as well like in the FRS, looks like it's a connector or wiring harness issue, and @ryoma there is no "fuse" for the headlights it's a relay and resistor setup :

I'd check all the pins on the connector, when I was doing the DRL mod for my winjets on the FR-S I messed up a pin a bit and the high beams would only engage on one side until I jiggled the wiring harness and in turn the pin in the connector to the right position. I think you can now narrow this issue down
Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
YEP, IT WAS THE FUSE =)

Fuse or relay? Also did it take 4 months to get this corrected?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
username404

Quote:
Fuse or relay? Also did it take 4 months to get this corrected?
Yep. Been busy and traveling and finally got back to work on the car. Story of my life.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to username404 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yep. Been busy and traveling and finally got back to work on the car. Story of my life.

Understandable was just curious, I'm in college so I understand what it's like I don't see my car for 5 months ever yea and then only get into it for a month.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
username404

Quote:
Understandable was just curious, I'm in college so I understand what it's like I don't see my car for 5 months ever yea and then only get into it for a month.
Yes....life gets harder after college bro. Enjoy your time there. Wish I'm back in school. LoL

The Following User Says Thank You to username404 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-08-2016)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
wrb
frank

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
YEP, IT WAS THE FUSE =)
sorry to bring up the old thread.. but i am having same problem.

was it the high beam fuse that you replaced to fix the problem? or was it DIM relay ?
SoCal LA 86 Club Member
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrb View Post
sorry to bring up the old thread.. but i am having same problem.

was it the high beam fuse that you replaced to fix the problem? or was it DIM relay ?
More necro. I have the same problem. Fuse was out, replaced it, light works for a few minutes then goes off, checked again and fuse out, so something is causing the fuse to burn. I changed the DIM relay, since its cheap and just in case, the same thing. Driver side only as well. I think its the wiring, no other way around it. I havent modded/touched my lights but I track the car pretty hardcore so maybe all of that mouvement got something loose (or me taking off and on the bumper).

Edit: I mesured the resistance on both lights, they both measure the same. I measured the current and voltage on both sides, same measurement. I swapped sides with the bulbs, same result. Its in the cable between the fuse box and the lightbulb, where exactly I dont know.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote