follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ryoma's CWP 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited

Just picked up my BRZ from the dealer today and wow, I'm in love with the car. It took me some getting used to, but now I like it 100%. At first, the interior and gauges seemed really small compared to all the pictures I have seen. It's so quiet at times that I forget to shift. I have to catch myself to shift before 4k RPM during the break in, otherwise I want to rev it higher. I'm also surprised how much vibrations there are in the shift lever... like wow. I also love the shifting feel. way better than my MR2.

My previous car was a 1986 Toyota MR2 with an ST205 3SGTE engine swap. it was putting out 280whp and was fun to drive but problems one after another started coming up. Recently, it was rear-ended and I took this as an opportunity to move on and get rid of the wallet-sucking vampire that is the MR2. The BRZ and the MR2 are in two different worlds. The main thing was that my MR2 didn't have AC and damn! It's so nice to have AC again. Today was 90F and I was cruising around with AC on, such a nice feeling.

I'll include this mod list for mods that I do to the car through this journey. I want to be able to look back a few years later and see how much the car has changed.

Mod list:

Powertrain:
Brakes:
Suspension/wheels/etc:
Interior:
Exterior:
Misc:

Last edited by ryoma; 11-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.
ryoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
ryoma

Rear debadging & shift knob

As soon as I brought the car back, I adjusted the clutch pedal since it was WAAAAY too high up to engage the clutch. It is so light compared to my MR2 that I feel like I might snap the pedal since I'm not used to it. I got the engagement point down but I still bog whenever I shift into 2nd... gonna try different methods out and see what it takes to drive smoothly. Seems like I need to slip the clutch and add power at the same time to go into 2nd smoothly. I only do that for take offs, but I'm gonna add it into the 2nd gear change to see if it helps. The clutch isn't as bad as everything says it is IMO.

After adjusting the clutch, I immediately threw on my titanium shift knob. It's counter-sunk and feels really nice. I expected to have to put a nut under it to make the reverse lockout work, but there was no need since the reverse lockout just slide right into the knob. I was surprised about that and pretty pleased.

After adding in the shift knob, I went to take off the rear Subaru and BRZ badge. I think this makes it look a lot cleaner.

Gonna go get the windows tinted tomorrow.

Last edited by ryoma; 11-01-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryoma For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (03-23-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice congrats!
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Very nice. Beautiful car, i'd love to see what you will be doing to it.
I am picking u mine Tuesday, same color, same specs. The window tint is planned for Wednesday.
Guru Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
ryoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
Very nice. Beautiful car, i'd love to see what you will be doing to it.
I am picking u mine Tuesday, same color, same specs. The window tint is planned for Wednesday.
window tint is a must where I live. the summers get over 120+. gotta gear up for the summer heat wave.

I really love the way the car drives. I'm surprised that the stock suspension was so stiff. way different than my mom's highlander or my dad's camry. if only I could get a stiffer clutch pedal, but that is only a small gripe since I'm already used to it. I really need to get used to the extra width of the car. it feels so big after coming from my small MR2. and I have never relied on my side mirrors so much as I have today when I was driving and parking the car, haha. I can't see behind the right portion of the car at all without the mirrors
Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
coloradobrz

Drives: 15' CWP Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on the BRZ! Just got mine in the same exact specs last week and I love it, CWP is such a great color.

The 1>2 shift gets me all the time so if you find out how to make it a smooth shift let me know. What's been working for me is just taking an extra second to let the revs fall before releasing the clutch but then I feel like a snail.
coloradobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 AM   #7
Kerune

Drives: Lexus RC-F
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradobrz View Post
Congrats on the BRZ! Just got mine in the same exact specs last week and I love it, CWP is such a great color.

The 1>2 shift gets me all the time so if you find out how to make it a smooth shift let me know. What's been working for me is just taking an extra second to let the revs fall before releasing the clutch but then I feel like a snail.
Congrats! Firstly, I have a CWP and I can't fall in love with the color until it's tinted, haha. White with nice tint is always so nice tho.

Took the words right outta my mouth for 1>2.. I've been letting revs drop too before I start releasing the clutch and it does feel way too slow. Then again, it's fine for commuting and daily driving cuz you're up to speed with everyone else but this car doesn't feel right sometimes when it's that slow. I've heard revving past 4k RPM does the trick or rev much lower, it seems the 3k range isn't good for quick shifting.
Kerune is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerune For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (11-12-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
ryoma

Window Tint

Got the tinting done today. Went with 18% suntek CXP. looks nice, but kind of dark. I didn't know that the 18% of the CXP actually looks more like 16% while 18% of the regular carbon was 18%. I based it off the regular values and the CXP is a bit darker... didn't realize it until the tint was already on. Oh well, just gotta be careful I guess.

Last edited by ryoma; 11-01-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
coloradobrz

Drives: 15' CWP Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerune View Post
Congrats! Firstly, I have a CWP and I can't fall in love with the color until it's tinted, haha. White with nice tint is always so nice tho.

Took the words right outta my mouth for 1>2.. I've been letting revs drop too before I start releasing the clutch and it does feel way too slow. Then again, it's fine for commuting and daily driving cuz you're up to speed with everyone else but this car doesn't feel right sometimes when it's that slow. I've heard revving past 4k RPM does the trick or rev much lower, it seems the 3k range isn't good for quick shifting.
I'll find out of the 4k+ rpm shifting works once I'm done with my break-in period, but I've noticed that if I shift early then the revs drop too quickly and the engine feels sluggish in second. I've just gotten used to letting the clutch out slowly on the 1>2 shift and 2>3 to make it as smooth as possible.

I agree with the tint, I've had 10-15% on all my cars in the past and this one will be no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
Got the tinting done today. Went with 18% suntek CXP. looks nice, but kind of dark. I didn't know that the 18% of the CXP actually looks more like 16% while 18% of the regular carbon was 18%. I based it off the regular values and the CXP is a bit darker... didn't realize it until the tint was already on. Oh well, just gotta be careful I guess.

Looks solid! Now I'm more anxious to get mine done lol
coloradobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tint looks excellent!
I have 18% on my other vehicles and ordered it for my BRZ too. I have no complaints looking out, even at night.
My guess is that it looks darker because the interior of the BRZ is black too.
Guru Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #11
Kerune

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradobrz View Post
I'll find out of the 4k+ rpm shifting works once I'm done with my break-in period, but I've noticed that if I shift early then the revs drop too quickly and the engine feels sluggish in second. I've just gotten used to letting the clutch out slowly on the 1>2 shift and 2>3 to make it as smooth as possible.
Well good news for you guys to look forward to! I finally found time to do the clutch adjustment that everybody here recommends, and it's an amazing change. I found no problems shifting from 1>2 whatsoever since I don't spend any time looking for the engagement point. Highly recommended and the car feels great when you can shift mindlessly, especially 1st gear.

Tint looks great, they only offer 5 and 30% here at that low of a %, I thought 30% was asking for trouble in California lol.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
ryoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerune View Post
Well good news for you guys to look forward to! I finally found time to do the clutch adjustment that everybody here recommends, and it's an amazing change. I found no problems shifting from 1>2 whatsoever since I don't spend any time looking for the engagement point. Highly recommended and the car feels great when you can shift mindlessly, especially 1st gear.

Tint looks great, they only offer 5 and 30% here at that low of a %, I thought 30% was asking for trouble in California lol.
18% sure isn't entirely legal... but I've had 20% on the cars I owned and my family does as well. None of us have yet to get pulled over for it (knock on wood). Guess it all depends on your area and the cop's mood that day.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Kerune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
18% sure isn't entirely legal... but I've had 20% on the cars I owned and my family does as well. None of us have yet to get pulled over for it (knock on wood). Guess it all depends on your area and the cop's mood that day.
I've never been pulled over with 30% but yes it really depends on the cop, and it seems they'll mostly bother you IF you get pulled over for other reasons THEN they notice the tint, lol.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #14
ryoma

Radar Detector Hardwire & RA Mudflaps

Hardwired my radar detector in today. I'm still unsure if I want to keep it mounted on the bottom or use a blendmount and mount it under my rear-view.

(I ended up going with Blendmount)

Also installed a set of Rally Armor mudflaps. I think it'll look even better after lowering the car a little bit and with a new set of rims. I hate the stock wheels so much lol

Last edited by ryoma; 10-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Tags
brz, cwp, subaru, white