follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #43
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have now had my second LED failure. I bought over $200 in bulbs from Diode Dynamics. When the first one failed, they said it was out of warranty, just over one year. I have owned cars for 10 years without replacing an incandescent bulb. I don't think the aftermarket bulbs, be it from Pep Boys or DD are up to par yet.

Ironically, I just brought a CJ4 in for maintenance because the Left LED landing light failed. Fortunately, that was warranty.

It is not the LEDs that are failing, but the supporting circuitry that is failing.

John
Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #44
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
I have now had my second LED failure. I bought over $200 in bulbs from Diode Dynamics. When the first one failed, they said it was out of warranty, just over one year. I have owned cars for 10 years without replacing an incandescent bulb. I don't think the aftermarket bulbs, be it from Pep Boys or DD are up to par yet.

Ironically, I just brought a CJ4 in for maintenance because the Left LED landing light failed. Fortunately, that was warranty.

It is not the LEDs that are failing, but the supporting circuitry that is failing.

John
John,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues. Please give us a call and we will make sure you are taken care of: (314) 205-3033

LED technology has come a long way, but there's still a large disparity in quality between our products and what you'll find off the shelf at Pep Boys. All of our circuits are designed in-house by our engineering team and use the best components available.

Check the bulbs to make sure they are still installed securely in the socket and making firm contact with the metal tabs in the socket.

We stand behind our products with a 3-year limited warranty, so please don't hesitate to give us a call

Thanks,
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #45
Ornelas66

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fixing Dynamic Diode Reverse Light Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral G View Post
My switchbacks fit great, however, my rear turn (now reverse lights) don't stay seated unless I tape them in. I like the tails as turns mod but am worried the reverse lights are going to fall into the housing and it will be hell getting them out.

I purchased the Dynamic Diode Reverse/Turn Light modification and always had the same problems: 1st) the OEM socket and wire were not long enought to firmly install the Dynamic Diode reverse light on the socket, and then place into the tail light. What you had to do was place the light first partially into the tail light and then install it into the OEM socket. 2nd) the OEM socket did not support the weight of the Dynamic Diode replacement LED which would wiggle lose.
Solution: I bought two replacement sockets and cut the two wires and removed the OEM socket and soldiered the two replacements with longer wires them into the wiring harness. This provided me with more room to install and glue the Dynamic Diode LED's into the replacement sockets. The replacement socket provided a more substantial base than the OEM socket. Now I have the brightness I wanted in my reverse lights without the prior problem of them wiggling off.
I did contact Dynamic Diode and they claim that they have not had any reports of this problem. However, it has been my experience from other FT86 members I have met at gathering who have purchased this product, have had the same issue. We have tried to tape them on to get them to permanently work. The problem is that tape loses it's grip over time, especially in hot areas like South Texas. By the way, when the LED's would fall into the tail light assemble, I would use a magnetic probe to pull them out.
As far as Dynamic Diodes product, I do believe you get what you pay for. The lights are well constructed and do live up to their advertised lumen. If there was a problem with one of their lights, they (Mike and Nick) have made it right by sending out a replacement. When they inadvertently made a mistake and took long in sending a replacement, they credited me with more Dynamic Diode points on there own.
Ornelas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ornelas66 For This Useful Post:
Lateral G (04-23-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #46
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Overall I have been very pleased with Diode Dynamics products. I have replaced every single bulb apart from the fog lights. My only two issues thus far are minor:

1.) My right front side marker bulb started flickering and eventually went out. I have yet to remove the side marker assembly since each time you do that there's a 110% chance that the clip breaks (thanks Toyota!) so it's possible the bulb is just loose in the socket, and it might be fine.

2. The rear XP90 turn signal install was a bit of a PITA. The stock wiring harness doesn't have enough slack to install the bulb and then install it into the lamp assembly. The bulb is a bit too tall. Instead I had to stick the bulb into the assembly myself with one hand, then back it into the socket, while hoping to not drop it into the housing. Not a big deal, just a bit of an annoyance and you risk dropping it into the housing and that would really suck, lol.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #47
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

LED technology has come a long way, but there's still a large disparity in quality between our products and what you'll find off the shelf at Pep Boys. All of our circuits are designed in-house by our engineering team and use the best components available.

Check the bulbs to make sure they are still installed securely in the socket and making firm contact with the metal tabs in the socket.

We stand behind our products with a 3-year limited warranty, so please don't hesitate to give us a call

Thanks,
Nick C.
Nick.
The first one was the wire in the bulb came loose. The second one, when I unplug it and plug it in, it flashes and then goes out. I checked the socket with a multitester and voltage is constant with TNS on. The socket looks like new as I am here in Florida with no salt on the roads. My point is no one is infallible. The landing light assembly on the CJ costs more than my FR-S and it failed. It required FAA approval. Keep up the good work, but you will always have a percentage of failure items. I will call you today.

John
Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
Nick.
The first one was the wire in the bulb came loose. The second one, when I unplug it and plug it in, it flashes and then goes out. I checked the socket with a multitester and voltage is constant with TNS on. The socket looks like new as I am here in Florida with no salt on the roads. My point is no one is infallible. The landing light assembly on the CJ costs more than my FR-S and it failed. It required FAA approval. Keep up the good work, but you will always have a percentage of failure items. I will call you today.

John
Thank you for your patience and understanding

We always make sure our customers are taken care of (That will always be 100%)

We appreciate your support

Nick C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (04-23-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #49
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Diode Dynamics Hi Nick, I just noticed both my DRLs have gone out and are exhibiting the exact same glue issue as the OP here. I spot with someone on the phone and they mentioned that this would not be covered as it is outside of warranty (bought in 2013).

I understand that it's out of warranty and would not complain if the lights were simply burnt out but the fact that they are now stuck in my housing and have left residue on the inside of the housing has me fairly concerned. Is there anything you can do to help me out?
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #50
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
@Diode Dynamics Hi Nick, I just noticed both my DRLs have gone out and are exhibiting the exact same glue issue as the OP here. I spot with someone on the phone and they mentioned that this would not be covered as it is outside of warranty (bought in 2013).

I understand that it's out of warranty and would not complain if the lights were simply burnt out but the fact that they are now stuck in my housing and have left residue on the inside of the housing has me fairly concerned. Is there anything you can do to help me out?
Please send us pictures to: contact@diodedynamics.com

I will speak with our customer service team, and we will make sure you are taken care of

Thanks,
Nick C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
1Cor10:23 (07-10-2015), AREN (12-14-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #51
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Please send us pictures to: contact@diodedynamics.com

I will speak with our customer service team, and we will make sure you are taken care of

Thanks,
Nick C.
Just sent email with photos. Thanks Nick!
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Cor10:23 For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (07-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #52
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's awesome customer service!