follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #71
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Take spare coils for 1 and 3!

I havent heard anything from Wonderbar about cutting out a heat shield. I'm still trying to find a diagram showing physical measurements of the coils so I can bug the aftermarket ignition companies about suitable substitutions. I'm sure there's already something developed for another car that would work just fine, it's just a matter of finding it.
There is a pretty common upgrade for RX8's that keep blowing coils to use coils for the LS(x) V8 engines that are fairly inexpensive (vs. OEM). They are also much better and don't fail like OEM ones so maybe look into those and see if they might work on our twins.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #72
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Take spare coils for 1 and 3!

I havent heard anything from Wonderbar about cutting out a heat shield. I'm still trying to find a diagram showing physical measurements of the coils so I can bug the aftermarket ignition companies about suitable substitutions. I'm sure there's already something developed for another car that would work just fine, it's just a matter of finding it.
Two new revised part number OEM coils should be arriving tomorrow in the nick of time. I'm replacing my #3 which is throwing P0353 with a new one and keeping another as a spare. My #1 was replaced back in March with the same CEL issue (P0351) and has been fine since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
There is a pretty common upgrade for RX8's that keep blowing coils to use coils for the LS(x) V8 engines that are fairly inexpensive (vs. OEM). They are also much better and don't fail like OEM ones so maybe look into those and see if they might work on our twins.
Don't want to go too off topic but there's ongoing discussion on this issue including the idea of using the popular GM coils with heat sinks on them here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30879

Though the LSX coils are an odd shape and have a very slim chance of fitting in the FA20 heads as-is.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #73
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Two new revised part number OEM coils should be arriving tomorrow in the nick of time.
You think it would be worth using your brake duct hose from that side to route cool air over that area? Since you're using the GT3 ducts for your brakes now, the brake duct could be repurposed. It would at least keep the heat from the exhaust from stagnating right over the coils.

That may pressurize the engine bay though, without some way for the air to escape. @plucas or @eric6 might be able to speak towards that.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #74
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
You think it would be worth using your brake duct hose from that side to route cool air over that area? Since you're using the GT3 ducts for your brakes now, the brake duct could be repurposed. It would at least keep the heat from the exhaust from stagnating right over the coils.

That may pressurize the engine bay though, without some way for the air to escape. @plucas or @eric6 might be able to speak towards that.
It may help to an extent it but I sold my TF brake cooling kit as a whole to @AZP Installs. I think the head is going to heat soak the coils either way and the overpipe without a ceramic coating or heat shield is just going to accelerate the heat soak on that side. At this point I feel that a high performance coil with a heatsink and hotter spark is the best solution and would kill two birds with one stone.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #75
knipple

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The Endurance is actually easier to clear with most wheels than the sprint.
Do you know if Enkei RPF-1 17x9 et +35 will clear the Endurance kit?
knipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #76
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knipple View Post
Do you know if Enkei RPF-1 17x9 et +35 will clear the Endurance kit?
No, but I'll find out
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #77
chonody

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I recently installed some Porsche brake ducts and noticed that the brake dust shield pretty much blocks the flow of air. So I took some tin snips and went to town. I just cut off the very tip of the shield right under the bolt. Bent it out a little bit, filed the rough edges, and sprayed it black to prevent rust and ugly. Good to go!

chonody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chonody For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-28-2015), Wayno (05-22-2016)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #78
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I chose a slightly different implementation of the Porsche ducts by using ones from a 993. I like the profile and they match the contour of the control arm rather well. I wanted something to add a little brake cooling capacity for an occasional track day but the car needs to remain legal for autocross STX class.
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-03-2014), Rosticles (10-08-2014), Wayno (05-22-2016)
Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #79
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstlane View Post
I chose a slightly different implementation of the Porsche ducts by using ones from a 993. I like the profile and they match the contour of the control arm rather well. I wanted something to add a little brake cooling capacity for an occasional track day but the car needs to remain legal for autocross STX class.
Looks good. How did you mount those to the arms? I see they have tabs for screws on the back of them but I'm not sure you were able to use those.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
fstlane (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #80
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Looks good. How did you mount those to the arms? I see they have tabs for screws on the back of them but I'm not sure you were able to use those.
Thanks ATL BRZ! I just used 3M automobile attachment tape across the face of the control arm as well as under the taps that rests on top. I originally planned on drilling a couple of holes to run cable ties through as well but it's surprisingly secure as is. I suppose someone could drill a small hole for a screw or bolt without compromising the integrity of the arm.

Here's a picture of the back of the scoop while I was mocking up the tape placement. The tape I had wasn't wide enough so I ran two strips and cut pieces for under the tabs.

I went ahead and installed a couple of cable ties just for good measure.

Last edited by fstlane; 11-02-2014 at 10:36 AM.
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
*KID* (08-04-2014), ATL BRZ (08-03-2014), Tor (02-04-2016)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #81
Slick

Will be working on completing the brake ducting on my car this weekend but looking for feedback on another issue:

Broken Bolts.

In the past month I have broken a caliper bracket bolt, 4 dust shield bolts and I am now finding that some of my front wheel studs are getting harder to torque consistently.

Background:
  • Had car since June 2012
  • Winter driving
  • Approx. 2 track days per month in summer
  • HP+ on fronts, stock calipers.
  • Driving instructor, typically lap faster 4-10 secs faster than others in same car (2:30 typical lap)
  • Light and smooth on the brakes at the track
Could there be this much heat being generated that these bolts are getting weakened by the heat?

I am working on completing the brake cooling this weekend regardless (ducts routed through to centre of rotor backside) and this will obviously add much cooling, but curious if anyone has had similar issues with breakage?

I used to run a Miata in Time Attack years ago and just pounded that car every weekend, and never had issues of this kind.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #82
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Will be working on completing the brake ducting on my car this weekend but looking for feedback on another issue:

Broken Bolts.

In the past month I have broken a caliper bracket bolt, 4 dust shield bolts and I am now finding that some of my front wheel studs are getting harder to torque consistently.

Background:
  • Had car since June 2012
  • Winter driving
  • Approx. 2 track days per month in summer
  • HP+ on fronts, stock calipers.
  • Driving instructor, typically lap faster 4-10 secs faster than others in same car (2:30 typical lap)
  • Light and smooth on the brakes at the track
Could there be this much heat being generated that these bolts are getting weakened by the heat?

I am working on completing the brake cooling this weekend regardless (ducts routed through to centre of rotor backside) and this will obviously add much cooling, but curious if anyone has had similar issues with breakage?

I used to run a Miata in Time Attack years ago and just pounded that car every weekend, and never had issues of this kind.
I'd recommend you use a torque wrench, and use anti-seize on the wheel studs. Make sure the other bolts are also clean, and if you're changing things regularly, also use anti-seize, and make sure to re-torque them after a session of getting hot.

Most anti-seize has a 1500F+ heat tolerance; the stuff we ship with our lug nuts is 2000F+.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #83
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd recommend you use a torque wrench, and use anti-seize on the wheel studs. Make sure the other bolts are also clean, and if you're changing things regularly, also use anti-seize, and make sure to re-torque them after a session of getting hot.

Most anti-seize has a 1500F+ heat tolerance.
I always use a torque wrench and never air-tools, crack them with a pivot bar and then remove with a cordless drill (re; wheel nuts).
Any of the new brake bolts going back on have been getting anti-seize already, but will do so for the wheel studs as well.

Just very strange with the breakage of the factory bolts upon first removal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-12-2014)
Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #84
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Late bump & helping others in the future.
I just ordered some GT3 brake ducts from Porsche of Beverly Hills, and they are $7.11 each. Part number 997 341 483 92 for the Left and 997 341 484 92 for the right.
DocWalt (11-28-2015), sroby (08-08-2019)