follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
pakunodafie

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A small update guys, They tried to removed the end links and clunking still there, They tried to tighten the shock absorber from the mount and sound is gone.
A little but not similar from before.

So now help me decided to replace the shock or just live with it.
If I am replacing the shock do I need to replace both rear? or if the quote is a little high I can go for coilovers.
pakunodafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakunodafie View Post
A small update guys, They tried to removed the end links and clunking still there, They tried to tighten the shock absorber from the mount and sound is gone.
A little but not similar from before.

So now help me decided to replace the shock or just live with it.
If I am replacing the shock do I need to replace both rear? or if the quote is a little high I can go for coilovers.
Did the sound come back after the studs were tightened, and they were tightened with the vehicle on the ground, suspension loaded? Those bolts don't really get torqued down too much. Last strut job I did the strut clunked after settling because I torqued it before putting the car on the ground, but a little more torque across all three has kept it nice and quiet for a year and a half now.

If it's quiet now and the strut isn't bad, I say leave it until you're ready for a new set all around. If it returns after tightening multiple times, I'd actually see if you can get new mounting studs pressed in before going all in on new struts. If one is damaged (Bent or even just fatigued threads) then things should come together just fine without replacing anything more expensive.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
pakunodafie (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 12:14 AM   #17
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Did the sound come back after the studs were tightened, and they were tightened with the vehicle on the ground, suspension loaded? Those bolts don't really get torqued down too much. Last strut job I did the strut clunked after settling because I torqued it before putting the car on the ground, but a little more torque across all three has kept it nice and quiet for a year and a half now.

If it's quiet now and the strut isn't bad, I say leave it until you're ready for a new set all around. If it returns after tightening multiple times, I'd actually see if you can get new mounting studs pressed in before going all in on new struts. If one is damaged (Bent or even just fatigued threads) then things should come together just fine without replacing anything more expensive.
It was tightened with the vehicle on lifter. Ill come back again next week to make it proper assembly and to eliminate the clunking sound completely, They need to check if the shock absorber is defective or just need a tightening.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #18
dholloway543
Software Hobbiest

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This is probably not the solution but something to check. Put the car in neutral with the rear end of the car in the air and try to shake the axles and driveshaft to see if there is play. It could be a blown cv joint. Makes noise going over speed bumps in my car
dholloway543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholloway543 View Post
This is probably not the solution but something to check. Put the car in neutral with the rear end of the car in the air and try to shake the axles and driveshaft to see if there is play. It could be a blown cv joint. Makes noise going over speed bumps in my car
Actually they already did this, They lift the car, check if there are some play with each component suspension, find out all are tight. Let see if the noise still there once they fixed the stock shocks absorber. (and btw, the shock absorber is 1 year old only, Replaced by toyota last 2019 due to leaking)
Old 10-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #20
pakunodafie

Small update guys, clunking noise is gone. The spring is hitting to the shock and they tighten and put a spring sleeves to 100% eliminate the clunking sound. Save me some $$ to buy a new set of shock absorber or coilovers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pakunodafie For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (10-28-2020), humfrz (10-28-2020), norcalpb (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #21
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakunodafie View Post
Small update guys, clunking noise is gone. The spring is hitting to the shock and they tighten and put a spring sleeves to 100% eliminate the clunking sound. Save me some $$ to buy a new set of shock absorber or coilovers.
If you want to save money, just grab some shocks.
You can grab some stock off from people that swapped them for coils for cheap.
Or you can grab some aftermarkets (like I did), I'm enjoying my KYB Excel-G Struts.

Coilovers are a lot pricier, but gives you that aftermarket height and better performance. Generally harsher ride though.

Pick your poison ~