follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #71
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
One argument for doing oil change more often could be that we have Direct Injection engines and to help reduce build up on the intake valves changing the oil at 3000 mile intervals is said to help.

source: http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake...di_engines.htm
As already mentioned the FA20 uses Toyota's D4-S injection system which utilizes both direct and port fuel injection, the valves receive regular baths of gasoline/petrol to clean gunk off.

Toyota's first D4 direct injection system was implemented in 1998, D4-S as we know it was on dealership floors in 2005, if there were long term issues someone would have brought it up by now.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine"]Toyota GR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine"]Toyota UR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Motor oil should never interact with the intake charge flowing over the valves carrying waste exhaust gases which cause carbon buildup.

I suppose the argument could be made that frequent oil changes could reduce piston ring wear which contributes to oil entering the combustion chamber and burning and being recirculated and deposited as carbon buildup on the valves, but that's the point of the oil analysis, to prove that the oil still has an acceptable amount of lubricating properties as the miles pile on. That line of thinking has nothing to do with the injection system implemented, it applies to carbureted engines as well.

Interestingly Mazda's solution to carbon buildup on their SkyActiv system is to increase the temperature of the valve itself, if it's hot the carbon either doesn't stick or just burns away. We will see in a few years, especially with the new Miata carrying the technology.

I'm struggling to find an official source but this article gets brought up a few times and seems legit, I could have sworn there was an official press release mentioning it about the most recent generation of skyactiv but I'm coming up blank.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...echnology.aspx

In any case, this post will soon be automotive urban legend that direct injection engines benefit from the old Italian Tune-Up:

http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/vie...=5859&start=20
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #72
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please educate me on where crude oil comes from. I am not a geologist but maybe you are?

From my understanding, crude oil comes from any organism buried under the right conditions. Most of our oil would come from oceanic organisms like algae and plants so you are right that it isn't exactly "dino" oil. I don't see anything wrong with calling it dino oil though. Many gear heads call it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I find it funny that most people still think Crude Oil came from dinosaurs or decayed plant matter.....

"Dino Oil" LOL......
Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #73
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
While this thread has been entertaining at points, the topic has been so well covered on this forum it's amazing it still generates such debate.

Check my post here, scroll down to #298. The oil Blackstone Reports clearly indicate that's there's no risk of keeping that initial fill in the engine for 7.5k, or for 10k+ for that matter.

If you are more comfortable changing it sooner, that's awesome, you should do just that. But it might not be productive to come back here to argue why it needs to be changed sooner than the standard interval.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billyk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-28-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #74
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01 View Post
Please educate me on where crude oil comes from. I am not a geologist but maybe you are?

From my understanding, crude oil comes from any organism buried under the right conditions. Most of our oil would come from oceanic organisms like algae and plants so you are right that it isn't exactly "dino" oil. I don't see anything wrong with calling it dino oil though. Many gear heads call it that.
The crude oil we get out of the ground did not all get here from decomposing animal & vegetable proteins. It was primordial ooze that was plentiful on this planet long before there was life.

If hydrocarbon deposits "i.e. petroleum" is only a result of biological processes, where did the oceans of ethane & methane on Saturn's moon titan come from? Dinosaurs?

This simple fact has made planetary scientists rethink the origin of "fossil fuels" on the primordial Earth if we have found other worlds with rivers of the stuff in a place that life is not even possible, much less abundant.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Jond63 (05-28-2015), Koa (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #75
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I find it funny that most people still think Crude Oil came from dinosaurs or decayed plant matter.....

"Dino Oil" LOL......
It's just a saying. Get over yourself.

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-02-2015), projek_01 (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #76
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
let's see here.. ethane, methane, one and two carbon chains long. Not the same as asphaltInes and paraffin which are hundreds of carbon chains long.

How did the levels of CO2 drop though the evolution of earth? It just floated away? no, organisms died and brought the carbon with them to become fossil fuel. Is it a coincidence that fossil fuels contain molecules similar to chlorophyll or heme groups.

Sorry to derail this thread, I couldn't stand being called out. I will no longer participate this this discussion.

Quote:
The crude oil we get out of the ground did not all get here from decomposing animal & vegetable proteins. It was primordial ooze that was plentiful on this planet long before there was life.

If hydrocarbon deposits "i.e. petroleum" is only a result of biological processes, where did the oceans of ethane & methane on Saturn's moon titan come from? Dinosaurs?

This simple fact has made planetary scientists rethink the origin of "fossil fuels" on the primordial Earth if we have found other worlds with rivers of the stuff in a place that life is not even possible, much less abundant.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 AM   #77
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you hadn't mentioned primordial ooze I would have bet you would have followed this paragraph up with a young earth hypothesis.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Oil is from living matter, yes. Dinosaurs specifically, not so much.
Stu is also right but that is a very small portion of the oil around.

http://www.livescience.com/9404-myst...upply-oil.html
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #79
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01 View Post
let's see here.. ethane, methane, one and two carbon chains long. Not the same as asphaltInes and paraffin which are hundreds of carbon chains long.

How did the levels of CO2 drop though the evolution of earth? It just floated away? no, organisms died and brought the carbon with them to become fossil fuel. Is it a coincidence that fossil fuels contain molecules similar to chlorophyll or heme groups.

Sorry to derail this thread, I couldn't stand being called out. I will no longer participate this this discussion.
So that is "calling you out?" You must be fun at parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oil is from living matter, yes. Dinosaurs specifically, not so much.
Stu is also right but that is a very small portion of the oil around.

http://www.livescience.com/9404-myst...upply-oil.html
So we are all in agreement. There were Dinosaurs on the moon Titan.
We have found complex organic molecules in interstellar space.
We have also found them raining down on the earth from Outside of our atmosphere.

Oil comes first, then life. Not the other way around.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Koa (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #80
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I put a Fumoto valve on mine after the dealership free oil went away and used ENEOS Sustina 0w-20 at 20k.

Car blew up.

Experience was great. I roasted marshmellows.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-28-2015), Tcoat (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #81
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
So that is "calling you out?" You must be fun at parties.

So we are all in agreement. There were Dinosaurs on the moon Titan.
We have found complex organic molecules in interstellar space.
We have also found them raining down on the earth from Outside of our atmosphere.

Oil comes first, then life. Not the other way around.
There are several theories about where oil came from and as I attempted to point out some permit for at least a couple of sources occurring in conjunction. Don't think that is unreasonable really.
Yes there is proof that at least one type of oil predates any life (which explains the extraterrestrial compounds) but that does not exclude the other theories of organically created oil.
The whole "dinosaurs turned into oil" things goes way back in history and is firmly implanted into common lore so will never truly be rebuked. The reality of course is that many different organic materials turned to oil with dinosaurs being a minute portion of that.
HunterGreene (05-28-2015), projek_01 (05-28-2015), strat61caster (05-28-2015), stugray (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #82
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is it not slightly possible that simple carbon-based compounds on other worlds came to be from a different path than the same compound on Earth?
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
projek_01 (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #83
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
stu for fuckin president 2016