follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #99
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the new guy View Post
Excellent thread and work here @Sithspawn. It's practically convinced me to look into a cooler and logging the temps as I had no idea they'd get that high. In your track testing, how long would you say it took between sessions for the temps to return to normal?
My pleasure. It is uncommon for anyone to do this level of research and data logging, much less share the data. Even the company I used to work for didn't bother, but boy did they sell a lot of transmission coolers. Personally, I'd rather know exactly what is going on by doing the testing and ensuring that target performance is actually met. Who would have known that the airflow modifications we did made such a significant difference unless we tried and verified the modifications actually worked.

The track testing I did was not a full road course and as such, is more comparable to an auto-X course. The difference between the track I went to and an auto-X course, however, is that time between runs is much shorter. In the auto-X days that I have done, it was a good solid 30 minutes between 50 second runs due to the sheer number of people at the event.

The nice thing about the airflow mods is that when you are on a road course, you are moving much quicker and you are getting better air flow through the cooler. The other nice thing about an HPDE event is the cool down lap. With this setup, you simply won't have temperature issues because you'll actually be getting the temps back down before you even pull into the pits (provided you actually take it easy on your cool down lap). In addition, the HPDE's that I have attended have about an hour to 1.5 hour break between 20 minute sessions. Compare that to the 9 - 10 minute break we had at Adams and the transmission will have plenty of opportunity to cool down between sessions.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sithspawn For This Useful Post:
the new guy (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #100
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
subbing so I can come back and read this.

big time thanks to @Sithspawn in just the first page that I've read so far!
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Campo For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #101
Max FRS

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Question, I have a Mishimoto replacement radiator, do our Automatic Transmissions use the radiator for cooling? I think my new radiator does not have cooler connections. I know most automatics use the radiator for cooling. I want to add a transmission oil cooler and love the work everyone has done and added to these posts. My plan was to add my transmission cooler when I replaced my radiator this spring. Thanks for any insight and education. Max
Max FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #102
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max FRS View Post
Question, I have a Mishimoto replacement radiator, do our Automatic Transmissions use the radiator for cooling? I think my new radiator does not have cooler connections. I know most automatics use the radiator for cooling. I want to add a transmission oil cooler and love the work everyone has done and added to these posts. My plan was to add my transmission cooler when I replaced my radiator this spring. Thanks for any insight and education. Max
The transmission in this car has a separate heat exchanger and does not tie in directly to the factory radiator. Your radiator upgrade is 100% compatible with an automatic car. Our cooler kit ties into the factory transmission cooling loop to provide additional cooling.

On a separate note, the cooler that @Sithspawn wrote about here is our cooler kit. Here is the link to our ad in the classifieds section: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78267

Last edited by Stark Performance; 12-12-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added link
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #103
Max FRS

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the information. Now I need to know how to order one of your coolers?

Max
Max FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #104
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Sub
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #105
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max FRS View Post
Thanks for the information. Now I need to know how to order one of your coolers?

Max
My pleasure. I can be reached at mike@starkperformanceparts.com for order processing and technical support.
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #106
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Reviving this thread! Just did my take on an AT cooler. Went with a bar and plate type and mounted it on top of the crash beam. I'll try if this works, if not, I'll go with the traditional air cooler and stick it out front.

More info here.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #107
Campo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
Reviving this thread! Just did my take on an AT cooler. Went with a bar and plate type and mounted it on top of the crash beam. I'll try if this works, if not, I'll go with the traditional air cooler and stick it out front.

More info here.

Hey boss, how is this working for you so far?

I'm looking at the Jackson Racing oil cooler and thought about making a Setrab tranny cooler to match it, but I like this idea too.

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #108
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
Hey boss, how is this working for you so far?

I'm looking at the Jackson Racing oil cooler and thought about making a Setrab tranny cooler to match it, but I like this idea too.

Here's my review from my build thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=380

Since I installed the cooler my tranny temps have not exceeded 90degC during daily driving. The tranny temps mimic the engine oil temp which also uses an oil cooler. Works just fine for me! HTH!
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #109
Weapon86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, so i just wanted to share what i came up with. This is the diagram of what ill be doing for my trans fluid cooler. I added a fan to the setrab core since there is a intercooler pipe obstructing the air flow to the spot where i want the cooler to be at. Im also planning to delete the windshield washer reservoir to make the lines shorter and make the install much easier.

I havent started with my install yet as im still waiting for other bits and pieces to come in. I would say this is a little more expensive route compare to just getting a ready made kit but you can customize what parts you want for the kit and i had fun researching about the parts i needed for it. lol

here's the list of the parts i got for this project:
Setrab series 1 25row oil cooler
Setrab Mount Kit
Setrab Thermo Switch
Setrab Fan
Mocal fittings 90degree angle(2x) 6AN
Derale Inline Thermostat
High Temp Teflon Hose 3/8
Barb fittings 3/8
Koso Temp Monitor/Sensor
Tee (for temp sensor)
3/8 to 1/8 Adapter
Heat Sleeves

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #110
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon86 View Post
Hey guys, so i just wanted to share what i came up with. This is the diagram of what ill be doing for my trans fluid cooler. I added a fan to the setrab core since there is a intercooler pipe obstructing the air flow to the spot where i want the cooler to be at. Im also planning to delete the windshield washer reservoir to make the lines shorter and make the install much easier.

I havent started with my install yet as im still waiting for other bits and pieces to come in. I would say this is a little more expensive route compare to just getting a ready made kit but you can customize what parts you want for the kit and i had fun researching about the parts i needed for it. lol

here's the list of the parts i got for this project:
Setrab series 1 25row oil cooler
Setrab Mount Kit
Setrab Thermo Switch
Setrab Fan
Mocal fittings 90degree angle(2x) 6AN
Derale Inline Thermostat
High Temp Teflon Hose 3/8
Barb fittings 3/8
Koso Temp Monitor/Sensor
Tee (for temp sensor)
3/8 to 1/8 Adapter
Heat Sleeves

[IMG][/IMG]
Having a thermostat makes no sense.

- Do you know for sure that the transmission can operate with a blocked oil line?
- The heat exchanger is primarily for raising the ATF temperature as quickly as possible at start up. You're not allowing it to happen by blocking the oil line.
- Tstat is across 2 lines.

Last edited by Wayno; 08-21-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:30 AM   #111
Weapon86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Having a thermostat makes no sense.

- Do you know for sure that the transmission can operate with a blocked oil line?
- The heat exchanger is primarily for raising the ATF temperature as quickly as possible at start up. You're not allowing it to happen by blocking the oil line.
- Tstat is across 2 lines.
actually it does. IF your oil cooler core is efficient enough to cool down your oil, you wont be able to keep the oil on the preferred operating temperature. unless my car is a dedicated track car then i guess not having a thermostat would be more beneficial. the thermostat opens up at 180F. so if my temp is still below 180F, it wont allow the ATF to run thru the setrab core. instead, it re-routes it back straight to the heat exchanger. so i dont see anything on my diagram that would block the oil line and stop the ATF to circulate.

Derale Fluid Control Thermostats are highly recommended for both engines and transmissions. As the fluid temperatures exceed 180°F the thermostatic valve closes, allowing 95% flow through the oil cooler. At temps below 180°F the valve is open, with 90% of the oil bypassing the cooler. The remaining 10% of the oil flows through the cooler, maintaining constant system pressure, preventing air pockets and eliminating cold oil shock.

Features:
Bypasses cooler at 180°F
Provides quicker warm-up temps
Perfect for cold weather climates
Can be rotated 180° to switch flow direction
Flows up to 20 Gallons per minute
Rated up to 200psi
Ultra bright finish
New Billet style design

Last edited by Weapon86; 08-21-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Weapon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weapon86 For This Useful Post:
soundman414 (08-23-2015), Wayno (10-20-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #112
Campo

Drives:
I'm going from memory because I'm not in front of my own research this second, but did you compare the pressure deltas of the series 1, 6, and 9 Setrab cores? I seem to recall there was good reason to not use the series 1.

Just double check before you buy that one and I'll go back through my data to verify.

The Following User Says Thank You to Campo For This Useful Post:
Weapon86 (08-21-2015)