follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
afohlin

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fuel Filler Neck Problem

I went to fill my tank tonight and something didn't seem right. I thought there was a piece in the filler neck that gets pushed down when you put the fuel nozzle in. Its hard to explain but I attached a picture of what it looks like. I couldn't find a single picture of what the filler neck should look like without the gas cap on. How concerned should I be about this? I will be contacting the dealership in the morning.
Attached Images

afohlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afohlin View Post
I went to fill my tank tonight and something didn't seem right. I thought there was a piece in the filler neck that gets pushed down when you put the fuel nozzle in. Its hard to explain but I attached a picture of what it looks like. I couldn't find a single picture of what the filler neck should look like without the gas cap on. How concerned should I be about this? I will be contacting the dealership in the morning.
Well, here's what mine looks like.

Looks about the same to me.

I wouldn't worry.
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afohlin View Post
Silly question but have you filled all the way up recently? Did your gas gauge go all the way to full? Just curious.

Will look at my gas filler tomorrow, just wondering if this might be an issue with my car. I topped off from 3/4 to full last Sat night because I found cheap ass 93. Got in the car to reset the trip, mpg etc and noticed the gauge still said 3/4. Drove home 25 miles, no change. Shut the car off, pulled the batt cables and it still was at 3/4. Going to run it all the way down and see if it fixed itself.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Reflash or stock? I had a similar problem with a EcuTek tune, ran the car for a day and went to top it off - gauge reset like it should. Also - do you continue to fuel after the auto shut off at the pump happens? I've read that can screw with things too..... HTH.
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
Bad Habits (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
cjsporl1996
Banned

Drives: WRB BRZ, Monte Carlo SS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
Silly question but have you filled all the way up recently? Did your gas gauge go all the way to full? Just curious.

Will look at my gas filler tomorrow, just wondering if this might be an issue with my car. I topped off from 3/4 to full last Sat night because I found cheap ass 93. Got in the car to reset the trip, mpg etc and noticed the gauge still said 3/4. Drove home 25 miles, no change. Shut the car off, pulled the batt cables and it still was at 3/4. Going to run it all the way down and see if it fixed itself.
It will fix itself next time you fill it. For whatever reason these cars do that.
cjsporl1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjsporl1996 For This Useful Post:
Bad Habits (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,217 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Seems to be an ECU problem if you fill up before 1/4 down or so. It's been covered here before somewhere.
Run it down below 1/2 and it should reset eventually. Topping up tends to give it fits.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Bad Habits (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Seems to be an ECU problem if you fill up before 1/4 down or so. It's been covered here before somewhere.
Run it down below 1/2 and it should reset eventually. Topping up tends to give it fits.

Ya..mine did it once too when I filled up at 3/4 tank. Gauge did not come up but it corrected itself. Seems to be "normal" for these cars. These quirks are what make the twins so special!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Bad Habits (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl1996 View Post
It will fix itself next time you fill it. For whatever reason these cars do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Ya..mine did it once too when I filled up at 3/4 tank. Gauge did not come up but it corrected itself. Seems to be "normal" for these cars. These quirks are what make the twins so special!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalem View Post
Reflash or stock? I had a similar problem with a EcuTek tune, ran the car for a day and went to top it off - gauge reset like it should. Also - do you continue to fuel after the auto shut off at the pump happens? I've read that can screw with things too..... HTH.
Car is stock. I just put the gas filler in and the pump auto shut off, kicked it up another 60 cents to an even amount and done. Nothing different from any other time and my mpg wasn't affected so I figured it was nothing major.

Thanks for the replys. I hadn't even searched it as I figured it was a fluke and was just going to run it down over the week and weekend if the weather was nice and disco the battery if needed.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote