follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
kphan

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRRRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Humming noise on left turns.

I have an pulsing humming noise whenever I am turning left from the LEFT wheel driver side. You can feel a slight vibration. I looked up to see if this was a wheel bearing issue but it seems like it would be the right wheel that should be making the noise. It pulses which make it seem like a tire issue and the rate of pulse increases with speed. I recently did get suspension installed. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks!
kphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kphan View Post
I have an pulsing humming noise whenever I am turning left from the LEFT wheel driver side. You can feel a slight vibration. I looked up to see if this was a wheel bearing issue but it seems like it would be the right wheel that should be making the noise. It pulses which make it seem like a tire issue and the rate of pulse increases with speed. I recently did get suspension installed. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks!
You should mention ALL the parts you have installed.
What have you checked?
Did you get an alignment after the suspension install?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
kphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
You should mention ALL the parts you have installed.
What have you checked?
Did you get an alignment after the suspension install?
Was in a rush to post and forgot to specify. All that was installed were TRD springs. I had a mechanic friend check out alignment. It could possibly be that, I just wanted input to make sure before I go and do it.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Was in a rush to post and forgot to specify. All that was installed were TRD springs. I had a mechanic friend check out alignment. It could possibly be that, I just wanted input to make sure before I go and do it.
I am asking what other parts do you have installed? Wheels? etc? What do you mean by "I had a mechanic friend check out alignment." ?

Get an alignment...
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
kphan (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,950 Times in 16,477 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest you get an alignment and mention to the tech what the car is doing.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
kphan (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
kphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
I am asking what other parts do you have installed? Wheels? etc? What do you mean by "I had a mechanic friend check out alignment." ?

Only ideas I have are, wheel not mounted correctly, wheel balance off, tire pressures, suspension loose from install, alignment off... , or other parts...
Everything is stock including wheels. Only modification are TRD springs. What I mean by mechanic friend is that he works at a shop. He lifted the car, checked the alignment of wheels and told me I was good to go. I've never done an alignment myself so I do not know what that entails.
Tire pressures are normal levels. Car has 23k miles. Sounds are a like "Whoombb.......whooomb....." etc. It happened after installation of the springs.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Front or rear and at what speed?

Could just be hearing the LSD doing what it's supposed to.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Everything is stock including wheels. Only modification are TRD springs. What I mean by mechanic friend is that he works at a shop. He lifted the car, checked the alignment of wheels and told me I was good to go. I've never done an alignment myself so I do not know what that entails.
Tire pressures are normal levels. Car has 23k miles. Sounds are a like "Whoombb.......whooomb....." etc. It happened after installation of the springs.
Did this "mechanic friend" scan the wheels themselves? Give you a telemetry sheet of the toe and offset? Or did he just look at it for a minute and say "yea, it looks good to me."?

If the alignment isn't correct than there could be possible rubbing issues either with suspension components or with the fender itself. Not saying that's exactly what's happening but you shouldn't take something like wheel alignment so lightly.

And who installed the TRD springs?
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Cervy For This Useful Post:
kphan (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
kphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Front or rear and at what speed?

Could just be hearing the LSD doing what it's supposed to.
Front. It typically is more noticeable at higher speeds but can be heard on slower turns as well. It only happens when the wheel is positioned left at any degree.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
kphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
Did this "mechanic friend" scan the wheels themselves? Give you a telemetry sheet of the toe and offset? Or did he just look at it for a minute and say "yea, it looks good to me."?

If the alignment isn't correct than there could be possible rubbing issues either with suspension components or with the fender itself. Not saying that's exactly what's happening but you shouldn't take something like wheel alignment so lightly.

And who installed the TRD springs?
Yeah no information on it. Just trusted his judgement based on his history. I will probably get an alignment here based off of everyone's suggestion and hope it fixes the issue. I installed the springs myself but its definitely not the first time I've done it.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yeah you need an alignment. It might not be what's causing the issue, but it's a good first place to start, and something you need anyhow!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote