follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,216 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
My pops however keeps complaining that there is a weird sound coming from the engine bay and that it is louder than it should be.
Sound tube? They did it on purpose!

whatevs
bcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #44
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Wait for 2015!!! The rear bumper cover is supposed to be made from a new transfused polyhydrate technology with improved theromal envelope efficiency for peak transient response in resistance to adverse meteorological conditions.
That should work well with the retractable wings and anti-left lane hog tire blasting laser system. I'm ordering the floorburger catering system so I can eat a cheeseburger on the floor just like David Hasselhoff. I might throw in the new FA2000 engine so I can lightly tap the gas pedal to humiliate the stoplight racing rednecks.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #45
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
You can find out about the back-up camera thing here:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/03/auto...htsa/index.htm

Sounds like a B.S. reason to me. How difficult is it to be a little attentive to what you're doing? Even so, if it gets passed it'll be "phased in"... starting at 10% of cars and increasing incrementally.
What a crock of shit. Did you see the projected costs associated with the upgrade? I'd say those numbers are off by several hundred dollars. The sensors alone are probably double or triple that if you ever need one replaced.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #46
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
What a crock of shit. Did you see the projected costs associated with the upgrade? I'd say those numbers are off by several hundred dollars. The sensors alone are probably double or triple that if you ever need one replaced.
Yeah, I think having these things mandated is pretty lame to say the least.
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #47
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Sensors are an add-on luxury item. This would only mandate the use of the camera. I imagine their numbers are pretty close, since the cameras run about 20-25 dollars and a small LCD screen is about the same. The biggest cost would be retrofitting the dash or something to put the screen in. Or they could do like what I've driven, and have a screen in the rear view mirror that clicks on when you're in reverse. That's the more expensive option though.

Still sucks. I can absolutely understand why you'd need it in a big SUV, since it's actually very helpful in my MIL's Acadia, but not in a small car. IMO, if they want to do this it needs to abide by some sort of stipulation saying that if the rear window is more than X inches off of the ground (for a typical SUV) then it's required.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #48
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guys, we are forgetting whats really important here...

cheese.
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #49
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hairpins View Post
OK last thread hijack: http://cougarcheese.wsu.edu/ 30oz for $20

On topic now, I also own a first 1000 FR-S and I have had several of the initial issues, although not the tail light issue or the CEL but I did have the idle drop and window issues and my car had no frame plugs installed or in the glovebox. My crickets keep me company at stoplights and I wipe the very light oil accumulation on the engine block plate about once a month. I would not trade my car for anything. I will own this thing until the wheels fall off.
+1
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #50
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Are you picking up another one? I thought you just got rid of yours not too long ago..
That's the plan... sold my argento in sept - paid debts and 'did the right thing' - i've since bought a rav4 for my wife/kids, so we have the safe, economical, practical family vehicle now.

Now i can go and get my toy Looking at hot lava this time.

Just went to jp toy in Surrey and checked it out.. I really do love the colour, and love how it stands out, without being too bright. The one on the lot has the 'upgraded' stereo, which i'm not a fan of (likely will be ripping it out anyway). Apparently they have 6 more coming in soon.
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #51
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
I am so sick of seeing this kinda posts when people ask the same thing over and over again and others post the same answers over and over again.
When someone is new, they may seem overwhelmed with so many threads and sections, that you may not have any idea where to start.

Maybe instead of complaining, you can help the new member with a link to the answered thread since you know where they are.

Cheers
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
russv (03-22-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #52
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I'd expect the 2014s to cost a few hundred more. There aren't all that many 2013s out there. The cars have been selling well, so there should be a price jump, which most automakers do anyway. Then the 2013 will still cost the same but have a discount, so to speak, if you can find one.

Seriously, just get the car if you want it and can afford it. It's so fun. It's not like a computer where waiting 6 months can get you something nearly twice as fast with more efficiency for the same money.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
K2
First 8600

Drives: Gen2 GR86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So the NTSB has proposed back up cameras be added to new vehicles.

The NTSB also proposed a nationwide ban on driver use of portable electronic devices (PEDs) while operating a motor vehicle back in December 2011.
Many more people die in a year in "distraction-related accidents" (over 3000 by NTSB figures) and less than 200 were killed in reversing accidents (again, using their figures). You can draw your own conclusion on where this camera proposal is going.

http://radioviceonline.com/federal-g...-cars-by-2014/
K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #54
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
I am so sick of seeing this kinda posts when people ask the same thing over and over again and others post the same answers over and over again.
I asked a pretty specific question about injectors - thanks for your informative response.
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #55
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I'd expect the 2014s to cost a few hundred more. There aren't all that many 2013s out there. The cars have been selling well, so there should be a price jump, which most automakers do anyway. Then the 2013 will still cost the same but have a discount, so to speak, if you can find one.
Don't forget the 2013 already got a price increase of $300 mid cycle.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #56
jipstyle

Drives: 2008 Subaru STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
You're making the fatal assumption that everyone else drives as well as you.
Fatal to whom?!

Quote:
-Never locked your keys in the car? There's still a key chime.
-Never left the lights on? Still a light chime.
-Never been in an accident? Still air bags.
-Never drink in the car? Still cupholders.

I could go on. You don't count on these things happening, that's why there are mandated devices to take care of these things.
I prefer the freedom to choose how I protect myself. Call me old-fashioned.

I don't want to waste money on a device that I don't need and I don't need to be protected while reversing out of my driveway.
jipstyle is offline   Reply With Quote