follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
Psyco
Future 86 owner

Drives: 97 Twin Turbo Supra, 99 Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know that everyone says that the car needs an allignment after a mild drop spring replacement(with lets just say a 1" lowering spring) but how would you or the allignment place actually do any sort of wheel allignment on a factory 86/BRZ which has no allignment adjustablities from factory?the only thing i can think of them being able to adjust is front toe at the steering arms. how about the camber and caster(since there are no camber/caster adjusting bolts in the front/ rear arms)?(correct me if im wrong) what would the allignment place actually be doing other than just a numbers printout from a machine...?
Psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
related question... if i (for example) put new 17x8 rims/tires with different offset (35)... and dont mess with the springs or height of the suspension....

do you need to do alignment on it ??

thanks
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
related question... if i (for example) put new 17x8 rims/tires with different offset (35)... and dont mess with the springs or height of the suspension....

do you need to do alignment on it ??

thanks
If you're just putting new wheels on, no. Nothing in the suspension system has moved if you change wheels, otherwise everytime you rotate your tires you'd need an alignment.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I've heard it's always necessary in the past. Until I installed springs/struts myself on my MR2 and again on my G35 and did not see any way to play with alignment. Everything bolted in one way. Things might've shifted a tenth of a degree or two but stayed within the spec range. A mechanic friend of mine also did not believe an alignment necessary for this straightforward job. Now if we start unbolting things beyond the struts (suspension arms, etc.), then it becomes necessary.

I don't have any tools in my new apartment so I'm getting a dealership to install my springs. They say a $90 alignment is necessary, at least on the front pair. Are they trying to gouge me for money/how necessary is this?

EDIT: This question is for a mild 0.6" drop all around.
Always get an alignment about 200-500 miles after installing any lowering springs. Been in the modification business for 10+ years and if you don't do an alignment you will have tire and handling issues, at least it won't be optimized for the drop.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
flippy (04-17-2015)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Always get an alignment about 200-500 miles after installing any lowering springs. Been in the modification business for 10+ years and if you don't do an alignment you will have tire and handling issues, at least it won't be optimized for the drop.

-Mike Paisan
Just to clarify...do you mean within the first 200-500 miles or to deliberately wait 200-500 miles prior to an alignment?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Just to clarify...do you mean within the first 200-500 miles or to deliberately wait 200-500 miles prior to an alignment?
Good question. You want to actually wait for 200-500 miles so that the new springs can settle. It takes that long for them to actually settle. If you do it on the same day, which most shops will try to make you do, as the springs settle during those 200-500 miles the alignment will come out over that period, requiring yet another alignment. What we do at our shop is give a package deal of spring install + alignment, however we allow them to come back after the 200-500 mile time period to get the alignment so that it is done correctly.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
flippy (04-17-2015)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco View Post
I know that everyone says that the car needs an allignment after a mild drop spring replacement(with lets just say a 1" lowering spring) but how would you or the allignment place actually do any sort of wheel allignment on a factory 86/BRZ which has no allignment adjustablities from factory?the only thing i can think of them being able to adjust is front toe at the steering arms. how about the camber and caster(since there are no camber/caster adjusting bolts in the front/ rear arms)?(correct me if im wrong) what would the allignment place actually be doing other than just a numbers printout from a machine...?
Well first off all they can adjust the toe, which can/will change when you drop a car. And second if they can't fix it, well you'll know you'll need camber bolts. Easy uh?
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco View Post
The only thing you can adjust on a factory BRZ/FR-S without additional parts is toe.

I'm kind of anal about alignment and "within factory specs" is not good enough for me, so it doesn't matter if you can get them after a mild drop or not. The factory specs aren't that good.

It's very much worth it to spend the 10 bucks for the OEM camber bolts to get a little extra camber up front. A big improvement in handling with identical (or better) tire wear than stock.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
gmookher (11-17-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #37
Psyco
Future 86 owner

Drives: 97 Twin Turbo Supra, 99 Celica
Thanks for answering guys.

As I had thought. I have got camber bolts to be fitted anyways but was just trying to point out that unless you have other adjustable aftermarket suspension parts fitted, it is prettymuch pointless to get an allignment done with just fitment of lowering springs as the shop would njust be charging you to do prettymuch bugger all as thats all they are able to do with the factory settings other than front toe.
Psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #38
james23

Drives: Automatic car
Alignment is not necessary at all after installing new springs. As I have experience of installing new spring for a year ago mechanic advice me for alignment but I continue without alignment still yet and have no problem. Just on Highway I feel little trouble but I overcome it by rotating the steering.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #39
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james23 View Post
Alignment is not necessary at all after installing new springs. As I have experience of installing new spring for a year ago mechanic advice me for alignment but I continue without alignment still yet and have no problem. Just on Highway I feel little trouble but I overcome it by rotating the steering.
Please stick to what you know. The statement above is a generalization and isn't accurate for these cars at all.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #40
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Can we not just delete that post? wow
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #41
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Depends really..

If you read, for example, the Eibach Pro-Kit alignment specs for before and after install - you really don't have to adjust anything on a new, straight, car.
?
I'd still do an alignment.
kosoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #42
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james23 View Post
and that is comedy gold!
kosoku is offline   Reply With Quote