follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #29
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The more power your exhaust makes, the less mature it sounds in my experience. at least with this car.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Submarinesonce For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-16-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post

love this exhaust. nice low, growly tone that goes well with the boxer. not very raspy and hardly drones on the freeway (i dont hear anything when i am in cruise control). when paired with an intake it is a perfect sound IMO.
I've heard that exhaust in person, it sounds really nice. They also have lifetime warranty on it, and we drive on salt all winter, that thing is not gonna rust away. They usually have sales on black friday and such.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #31
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAdopted View Post
what would be a good option for a more mature sounding car but subtle and wouldnt draw too much attention. everything is stock right now and wont be going FI (unless i win the lottery lol) but something needs to change about the exhasut. should i get a catback? a new header and keep everything stock? muffler delete? muffler delete and header? i dont know ahhhh. i wanna get the best bang for my buck and a make the car sound like it looks without being obnoxius and being "that guy".
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121060

Take a look at my recent thread, also a lot of thoughts/opinions and videos. My final setup is very mature....as would be just doing a cat-back.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #32
11B.brz

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I should've went with mxp instead of a knock off n1 style exhaust, lesson definitely learned. I think for the time being I'll go back to stock cat back and keep my catless setup. Hopefully that chills out most of the rasp and drone.
11B.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #33
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
i should have mentioned i am also looking to go for a quad setup, not sure if this is gonna change the sound or anything but from my understanding you can just take the quad tips to an exhaust shop to weld them on like new? or get them doing a custom tip? and i do wanna OFT tune it as well
I have the HKS Legamax quad and love it. Pretty quiet until I get above 4-5k RPM.

But like others said, it's pretty expensive. Around $1600 new.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_O6pqF1i4"]BRZ/FR-S/86 HKS Legamax Quad Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Uel header and hks legamax premium exhaust. :drops mic:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #35
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
what would be a good option for a more mature sounding car but subtle and wouldnt draw too much attention. everything is stock right now and wont be going FI (unless i win the lottery lol) but something needs to change about the exhasut. should i get a catback? a new header and keep everything stock? muffler delete? muffler delete and header? i dont know ahhhh. i wanna get the best bang for my buck and a make the car sound like it looks without being obnoxius and being "that guy".
TRD Exhaust. Well made easy to install, lifetime warranty even when bought used.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #36
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B.brz View Post
I should've went with mxp instead of a knock off n1 style exhaust, lesson definitely learned. I think for the time being I'll go back to stock cat back and keep my catless setup. Hopefully that chills out most of the rasp and drone.
The stock exhaust does not handle the volume of air well that a catless setup will feed it. It is EXTREMELY raspy.

If you want sound and are going to do an OFT tune, headers on the stock front pipe and catback is a decent option. Changing the catback after this stage is a risky decision in the noise section if not chosen carefully. Getting a catback just for sound is a good place to start, but if headers are anywhere in your future then I suggest getting an exhaust you think is quieter on a stock setup than what you'd prefer. You have a better chance of not hating it when you get different headers.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #37
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ARK DTS is an excellent way to go (disclaimer: I have it). I've heard Corsa is good as well. Both are nice and throaty. Both are more noticeable than stock/TRD, yet both aren't drony like an N1. If I didn't come across the ARK I would have gone with Corsa as they both sound the same through the internet.

imo if you want "mature" then just keep it stock. So long as you aren't waking people up at unreasonable hours then who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks, as a mature person takes into consideration others' well being
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #38
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
ARK DTS is an excellent way to go (disclaimer: I have it). I've heard Corsa is good as well. Both are nice and throaty. Both are more noticeable than stock/TRD, yet both aren't drony like an N1. If I didn't come across the ARK I would have gone with Corsa as they both sound the same through the internet.

imo if you want "mature" then just keep it stock. So long as you aren't waking people up at unreasonable hours then who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks, as a mature person takes into consideration others' well being
The Corsa sounds good with stock headers and either stock front pipe or the JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe. The Corsa with aftermarket headers and the JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe was obnoxiously loud.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #39
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Everyone will most likely just comment what they own and justify why they bought it or why its the "best". Just research the reputable companies, look for sound clips on YouTube, and be a big boy and make a decision. Some reputable companies are Ace, Nameless, Dezod, MXP, Greddy, HKS, etc just to name a few.
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lust For This Useful Post:
Williampreza (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #40
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
The Corsa sounds good with stock headers and either stock front pipe or the JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe. The Corsa with aftermarket headers and the JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe was obnoxiously loud.

Did you delete the cats? Sounds like you did cause that'll do it. Cats are great for baffling sound and reducing polution
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #41
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
Did you delete the cats? Sounds like you did cause that'll do it. Cats are great for baffling sound and reducing polution
From what I've seen resonators and proper baffling do a better job at removing rasp than cats. The JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe has a high flow cat and a resonator, but I have an ACE 350 header as well. My friend has stock headers and now owns the JDL front pipe and Corsa catback I had since I now have the full ACE exhaust that is completely catless, and also far quieter and less raspy than any previous configuration I've had setup with the exception of stock everything.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #42
Thedishdoc

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Well after much consideration, many youtube clips and much hand wringing and forum reading, on the topic of "mature exhaust sound" I purchased and am waiting on delivery of a Perrin 2.5 resonated catback and a Berk high flow catted front pipe. I hope it will have the sound I'm looking for! I wanted the Perrin HFC front pipe but it is discontinued :-(
Thedishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote