follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #43
tony-brz

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Another thing to add about ECUtek: It seems the RaceRom features (ie: launch control, flat-foot shift, auto-blip downshift, etc) do not work on the 2017 cars. I have done extensive testing with my tuner and cannot see to get them to work. Map switching via the cruise control stalk is also not working, we had to go back to the old style map switching, which works (gas pedal + defrost button).
Yeah those are not working on my car/tune either. Hopefully ECUtek is aware and releases a fix soon'ish.

For me the cruise control toggle "works", the tac responds and toggles through 1,2,3,4k but the features don't actually activate.
tony-brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony-brz For This Useful Post:
justinco (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #44
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So is it really worth it on 17 to get the tablet or ecutek tune? I understand if you add parts headers exhaust intake ect. But are the gains and new maps really put enough power to $. Could you really gain 10-15hp with all that?
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zentec For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (06-29-2018)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #45
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentec View Post
So is it really worth it on 17 to get the tablet or ecutek tune? I understand if you add parts headers exhaust intake ect. But are the gains and new maps really put enough power to $. Could you really gain 10-15hp with all that?
I had an OFT beta tune on my 2017 car when it was bone stock. Even then it is definitely worth it. The tuning makes the most difference I think.

The parts have the added benefit of weight savings, which is quite a lot actually.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #46
Zentec

Justin on your 17 stock car did you a couple hp gain with the oft tune or was it overall more smoother running? I agree a tune will make the most difference. If you up grade other things headers exhaust ect that's the only way to take advantage of those besides the weight savings. I'm weighing my choices now between ecutek and tablet. I'm leaning more towards the tablet now. Reason I ask is on my wrx I had Cobb ap and I saw a few hp gain and it ran so good after installed. I would like to see if the gains are silmilar to that of the ap.

I live in the desert and like you I can only get 91 out here. Rebel dose offer a pump race gas for cars its 100 octane. So when I fill up at half tank I put in 1 gal of the 100 to make 93 but this gets expensive as the 100 is 7.99 gallon. I use top shelf gas as I am still breaking in the car I got almost 4K miles on it now had it since nov of 16.

My main goal is longevity and dependability as I will have this car for a vary long time. I do want to extract the most out of it with keeping those goals. I will shoot for 220-250hp N/A and take my time getting there. So one of my first up grades was the tires but now I'm going to get an oil cooler thent I'll work on the tune. After my warranty is up then I'll start on the inside of the engine as that will be the only real way of getting close to that end goal.

Last edited by Zentec; 05-09-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #47
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Justin on your 17 stock car did you a couple hp gain with the oft tune or was it overall more smoother running? I agree a tune will make the most difference. If you up grade other things headers exhaust ect that's the only way to take advantage of those besides the weight savings. I'm weighing my choices now between ecutek and tablet. I'm leaning more towards the tablet now. Reason I ask is on my wrx I had Cobb ap and I saw a few hp gain and it ran so good after installed. I would like to see if the gains are silmilar to that of the ap.

I live in the desert and like you I can only get 91 out here. Rebel dose offer a pump race gas for cars its 100 octane. So when I fill up at half tank I put in 1 gal of the 100 to make 93 but this gets expensive as the 100 is 7.99 gallon. I use top shelf gas as I am still breaking in the car I got almost 4K miles on it now had it since nov of 16.

My main goal is longevity and dependability as I will have this car for a vary long time. I do want to extract the most out of it with keeping those goals. I will shoot for 220-250hp N/A and take my time getting there. So one of my first up grades was the tires but now I'm going to get an oil cooler thent I'll work on the tune. After my warranty is up then I'll start on the inside of the engine as that will be the only real way of getting close to that end goal.
The OFT was great for me on my FRS, highly recommended. I went to ECUtek on the 2017 because OFT was not really supporting it heavily and I really wanted the RaceRom features (which ironically are still not working yet ).

I'd say grab a used/new OFT if you just need the basics. It will smooth out the torque dip and make the power delivery more linear. Your butt dyno will approve I am pretty sure of it.

220hp NA sounds a bit ambitious, especially on 91. But, I am not familiar with what the limits are for NA on these cars so I could be wrong.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #48
Zentec

I would be intrested in seeing and feeling a stock 17 Z and 86 to see the differences in each stock tune. I wounded if it has more or less between the two in the tq dip. I have driven my friends 14 frs and what a difference between the 14 and 17.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #49
invaliduser

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Based on Shiv's new post about version 3.0 off the shelf tunes... it's looking like the official OFT tune for the 2017 USDM ecu will be out of beta when 3.0 gets out of beta.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
invaliduser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to invaliduser For This Useful Post:
justinco (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #50
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would be intrested in seeing and feeling a stock 17 Z and 86 to see the differences in each stock tune. I wounded if it has more or less between the two in the tq dip. I have driven my friends 14 frs and what a difference between the 14 and 17.

Id think the tunes in the 86 and brz will be exactly the same as per previous years.

Some countries get the upgraded manual cars some dont, red manifold is the easiest way to tell if its the newer tune
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #51
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If the car in question has been tuned, then the AFR will be whatever the tune is commanding. If you're relying on the stock primary O2, it'll be different because it can only read so low without being re-scaled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The log above AFR measured by vehicles 02 sensor, the 2017 tune calibrates it down to 10 afr.

The previous tunes only calibrated 02 sensor down to 12.17 afr so even if it ran way richer (which it did) you could not see the correct reading using the vehicle o2 sensor unless you flashed a tune with 02 sensor recalibrated to read lower afr. Or you had to use a tailpipe sensor, these usually read a little different to the vehicle 02 sensor that right near the exhaust port, tailpipe sensor usually read 0.5 to 1 afr point leaner from what ive seen.

Here is log of an older STOCK rom , note how the AFR just flatlines at the sensor reading limit of 12.17, its rearly running afr down to 10.8 or so
If Open Loop Fuel table has a value of 10.8 at 7000rpm at say 1.2g/rev engine load, then it would try target that AFR. However, there is no way for the ECU to know that it is achieving that value since there is no closed loop. It becomes an 'estimated' value and is also subject the AF#1 Learning Trims.

Here is a dyno result of a stock '13-'16 car. They show that the AFR is around 11.87 (blue line):

I don't know how they measured it. I'll ask them and let you know.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #52
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
If Open Loop Fuel table has a value of 10.8 at 7000rpm at say 1.2g/rev engine load, then it would try target that AFR. However, there is no way for the ECU to know that it is achieving that value since there is no closed loop. It becomes an 'estimated' value and is also subject the AF#1 Learning Trims.

Here is a dyno result of a stock '13-'16 car. They show that the AFR is around 11.87 (blue line):

I don't know how they measured it. I'll ask them and let you know.

Unless they rescaled the front 02 sensor in the tune (this is highly unlikely) they must have measured using an external sensor, likely a tail pipe sensor. These measure afr after it has passed through the two stock cats this generally results in leaner readings than actual. (0.5 to 1 afr point) so that correlates fairly well with the 10.8-11 values in the OL fuel tables.

The stock tune 2012-2016 sensor only calibrated to 12.17 so that's the lowest afr it will read.

Correct in open loop their is no feedback. But the ecu learns fuel trims in closed loop and apples these in open loop. The maf scaling to a large extent determines how close the commanded afr and actual afr will be during open loop operation. The old cars did run way rich as per the OL fuel tables, if you have a tuning device just flash a stock tune with the o2 sensor scaled lower and you will see.

Last edited by steve99; 05-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #53
nikitopo

Quote:
Unless they rescaled the front 02 sensor in the tune (this is highly unlikely) they must have measured using an external sensor, likely a tail pipe sensor. These measure afr after it has passed through the two stock cats this generally results in leaner readings than actual. (0.5 to 1 afr point) so that correlates fairly well with the 10.8-11 values in the OL fuel tables.
Please don't draw conclusions without additional evidence. I asked them and when I have feedback I'll let you know.

Quote:
if you have a tuning device just flash a stock tune with the o2 sensor scaled lower and you will see.
I have a tactrix cable, but I don't have a plan to plug it to my BRZ.

Weird things happened when I plugged it last time to my Forester ...
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #54
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Please don't draw conclusions without additional evidence. I asked them and when I have feedback I'll let you know.

I have a tactrix cable, but I don't have a plan to plug it to my BRZ.

Weird things happened when I plugged it last time to my Forester ...

That chart you posted up says "Dyno Simulator" so what exactly is that ?

heres some other charts to look at
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413

Tactrix works fine used it hundreds of times, you can rescale your 02 and tweak your throttle tables as well :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-10-2017), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-25-2018), phm14 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #55
Barefootdan

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-brz View Post
Yeah those are not working on my car/tune either. Hopefully ECUtek is aware and releases a fix soon'ish.

For me the cruise control toggle "works", the tac responds and toggles through 1,2,3,4k but the features don't actually activate.
I'm having the opposite affect. I can swap maps, but have to count in my head what map number I'm in since my tach doesn't move. I'm on a delicious tune and JRSC
Barefootdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #56
nikitopo

Quote:
That chart you posted up says "Dyno Simulator" so what exactly is that ?
They said that they are using a high precision air-fuel ratio meter: http://www.gtworks.ico.bz/Works.html

They build their own ECUs known as GENROM. Everything is internally developed: