follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #15
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
As mentioned before, please don't make repeat threads.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #16
Amourii

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
No pain at all. I went through this with my MX-5. No matter how I adjusted the seat, my back would hurt on long trips. In that instance, we put 88,000 touring miles on our Miata in 7 years.

After consuming as much codeine as I could talk my Doctor friend out of, my body told me there had to be a better way.

So, I went to this "therapist" for treatment. She (a cute little thing, bye the way) worked be over for a few sessions then accompanied me out to my car and ask me to sit in it. She determined that there was a gap behind my back that wasn't being supported (lumbar area) and my tail bone wasn't being cushioned adequately.

I tried several store bought cushions (like gel cushions) but they "bugged" me and didn't work for me.

So, I took a "wedge" type store bought cushion and cut it in half longways, to fill the gap in the back of the seat (lumbar support).

Then I purchased some 3/8 (or 1/2") thick closed cell foam roll and cut a section off of it for the seat cushion and covered it with the pillowcase, so I could slide off it easier and so it wouldn't look so hookie. You may wish to use two layers of foam.

FINALLY relief! Now, I could just use my codeine for mrs humfrz, to knock the edge off. when I'm roaring through the mountains (like pikes peak) .... yep, that one took a double dose ......

Something else I picked up from that pretty little therapist, was an easy exercise ....... simply sit upright on a chair put your hands on your knees and rock your pelvis up and back for a few minutes each day.

However, keep in mind, you are in your 20's and I'm in my 70's, so ....... results may vary........

I hope you find some relief so you can enjoy driving your car.

humfrz
Could you please show me a photo of the "wedge" type store bought cushion and cut it in half longways, to fill the gap in the back of the seat (lumbar support). As I would like to see what it looks like it in thickness , I am now very paranoid at how my seat sits I keep changing it haha because I don't know what feels right !
Amourii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 AM   #17
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When you sit, don't slouch. Shove your ass way back in the seat, then lean back.
EAGLE5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-17-2016), Ultramaroon (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amourii View Post
Could you please show me a photo of the "wedge" type store bought cushion and cut it in half longways, to fill the gap in the back of the seat (lumbar support). As I would like to see what it looks like it in thickness , I am now very paranoid at how my seat sits I keep changing it haha because I don't know what feels right !
Well, here is.

The cover looks all saggy because I cut half of the foam out of it.

I suggest you just do some experimenting ........ your back will tell you when you got it right .......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #19
Amourii

Quote:
Well, here is.

The cover looks all saggy because I cut half of the foam out of it.

I suggest you just do some experimenting ........ your back will tell you when you got it right .......

humfrz
Any reason why you cut half the foam out ?? Do you think bean bag beads would be a good option too ?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #20
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
here, you could try these too:

sounds like you need lumbar support.

also. hit the gym. that's the only thing that is keeping me in a single piece. lower back extensions and stretching those hamstrings out.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
Any reason why you cut half the foam out ?? Do you think bean bag beads would be a good option too ?
I cut half of the foam out because it was too thick for my use.

You might try bean bags .......

I have more old, used once, seat cushions (for my old cars) in my garage than @Cole has mufflers .........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-17-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #22
Amourii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos145 View Post
here, you could try these too:

sounds like you need lumbar support.

also. hit the gym. that's the only thing that is keeping me in a single piece. lower back extensions and stretching those hamstrings out.
I bought one of those but the problem is its too big for the seats like where the bolsters come out it touches it doesnt actually go inside !
Old 05-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #23
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
No pain at all. I went through this with my MX-5. No matter how I adjusted the seat, my back would hurt on long trips. In that instance, we put 88,000 touring miles on our Miata in 7 years.

After consuming as much codeine as I could talk my Doctor friend out of, my body told me there had to be a better way.

So, I went to this "therapist" for treatment. She (a cute little thing, bye the way) worked be over for a few sessions then accompanied me out to my car and ask me to sit in it. She determined that there was a gap behind my back that wasn't being supported (lumbar area) and my tail bone wasn't being cushioned adequately.

I tried several store bought cushions (like gel cushions) but they "bugged" me and didn't work for me.

So, I took a "wedge" type store bought cushion and cut it in half longways, to fill the gap in the back of the seat (lumbar support).

Then I purchased some 3/8 (or 1/2") thick closed cell foam roll and cut a section off of it for the seat cushion and covered it with the pillowcase, so I could slide off it easier and so it wouldn't look so hookie. You may wish to use two layers of foam.

FINALLY relief! Now, I could just use my codeine for mrs humfrz, to knock the edge off. when I'm roaring through the mountains (like pikes peak) .... yep, that one took a double dose ......

Something else I picked up from that pretty little therapist, was an easy exercise ....... simply sit upright on a chair put your hands on your knees and rock your pelvis up and back for a few minutes each day.

However, keep in mind, you are in your 20's and I'm in my 70's, so ....... results may vary........

I hope you find some relief so you can enjoy driving your car.

humfrz
Somehow I'm more interested in the fact does Mr. Hum still drive all the way out or not?

As for op......do you sit all the way back? Like all the way all the way & near upright? If you do everything already.... ross has those memory cell form pillow thing for like 10 buck... >___>
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #24
BeRZed

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel? Maybe have it closer to you, and then adjust your seating position from there.
BeRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #25
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
I bought one of those but the problem is its too big for the seats like where the bolsters come out it touches it doesnt actually go inside !
fuck it, swap the seat like i wanted to.

honestly, go for a racing seat to keep it nice and low (go into a store and sit in one for 2 hours with a newspaper, if they ask questions, show them a wad of cash), or try to get one from a Mercedes with all the supports and electronics (car parts sites, car dumps, etc).
if you go latter route, make sure its not too high and ur feet are not brushing up against the steering wheel
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #26
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I had a lot of difficulty with lower back pain with my Forester XT, very stiff, in it for 2.5 hours a day.
After swapping my seats out for 04 WRX seats, a lot of the pain eventually went away. When I got the BRZ, it was improved even further AFTER a lot of adjusting.

Keep tinkering with the seat.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
nos145 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #27
Amourii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I had a lot of difficulty with lower back pain with my Forester XT, very stiff, in it for 2.5 hours a day.
After swapping my seats out for 04 WRX seats, a lot of the pain eventually went away. When I got the BRZ, it was improved even further AFTER a lot of adjusting.

Keep tinkering with the seat.
I have kept trying to play wiht the seats cant seem to find a good sitting position because my lower back seems to be in pain even before getting in the car because of it therefore even when im sitting in the car playing with it I am unsure if it feels right if you get me ?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #28
humfrz

Quote:
I have kept trying to play wiht the seats cant seem to find a good sitting position because my lower back seems to be in pain even before getting in the car because of it therefore even when im sitting in the car playing with it I am unsure if it feels right if you get me ?
@Amourii ....... it's sounding more and more to me, like you need to get your back "fixed" before you will be able to be comfortable sitting in your car.

humfrz