follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
BBYZILA

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Swapping out exhaust tips, bolts broke off!!!! Help!

EDIT: Finished installing everything today, here are some pics!

roommate's RX-7, and my 2013 firestorm FR-S, above my FRS is my diamondback overdrive 29er, also in red . To the right is my roommate's ducati.

my Honda CBR250R and my FRS, same color! (i love red)

JDM/Euro tips installed, pushed all the way back. (pro tip: when removing the stock tips, spray some PB -blaster and let soak for a hr, then SLOWLY torque the bolts off) I didnt do that, and broke the head on both.

Rear diffuser installed, be patient. (Pro tip: when taking the pushpins out, take the center pin out first, then the rest will come out easily, use a small flathead to get it loose, then pull!)

Another shot of the exhaust and diffuser, looks great!!

Finally, I installed the mudguards, i messed up taking out the pushpins and will be going back to toyota to purchase them...

Hi guys,

I finally got the EURO/JDM tips from japan, I was so excited to put them on my FRS. I broke the bolts that hold the stock exhaust tips...

What can I do at this point? Can someone please help me? I know I should have used some WD40 or PBblaster, but there is no crying over split milk.

edit: also, what size replacement bolt do I need to buy? does anyone have a part number, or can i just go to lowes or someplace to get it?

Last edited by BBYZILA; 12-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.
BBYZILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
noodlebaka

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This happened to me too. I ended up cutting the old exhaust tip off since I'd never use it again. As for the bolt replacement...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7275

should have the info you need.
noodlebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Me too when I installed the Perin Tips. What I did was get behind the old tips from the bottom with a screw driver and just pulled the back of the old tips down just enough to pull the old tips off. Had to use some force but the length of the screw driver gave me some leverage and it was doable. The new tips look soooo much better than stock!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
BBYZILA

Thank you!!! I can't wait to put my tips on.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
BBYZILA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Me too when I installed the Perin Tips. What I did was get behind the old tips from the bottom with a screw driver and just pulled the back of the old tips down just enough to pull the old tips off. Had to use some force but the length of the screw driver gave me some leverage and it was doable. The new tips look soooo much better than stock!
I read through the entire thread, but no where does it say the specific kind of bolt. Do you have a part number or the bolt spec? Please let me know so I can pick some up from the hardware store tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if you only broke one, can't you just take the other one that's not broken from the other tip, and just go to a hardware store to find a matching bolt size? should cost like 30 cents or something
Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
BBYZILA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
if you only broke one, can't you just take the other one that's not broken from the other tip, and just go to a hardware store to find a matching bolt size? should cost like 30 cents or something

unfortunately, i broke both. i'm taking it to a muffler shop to get it torched off today.. hopefully they will have the bolts i need.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
BBYZILA

roommate's RX-7, and my 2013 firestorm FR-S, above my FRS is my diamondback overdrive 29er, also in red . To the right is my roommate's ducati.

my Honda CBR250R and my FRS, same color! (i love red)

JDM/Euro tips installed, pushed all the way back. (pro tip: when removing the stock tips, spray some PB -blaster and let soak for a hr, then SLOWLY torque the bolts off) I didnt do that, and broke the head on both.

Rear diffuser installed, be patient. (Pro tip: when taking the pushpins out, take the center pin out first, then the rest will come out easily, use a small flathead to get it loose, then pull!)

Another shot of the exhaust and diffuser, looks great!!

Finally, I installed the mudguards, i messed up taking out the pushpins and will be going back to toyota to purchase them...

Tags
bolt, exhaust, jdm, rust, tips