follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #43
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I dont know really I believe this transmicion is a piece of crap... there is no reason for having so many problems with this transmission, mine had Motul since the beguining now my 4th gear grind, my ACT clutch lasted 4 months, ect, ect, I am about to remove all aftermarket place new block on it that blow up and trade the mother fucker car...

my 2002 GTI 1.8T did not give me as many problems like this car, but again I really like the looks of the FR-S... but is becoming a money pit.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Seal issue, not fluid issue. So much Bullshit.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #45
EL_to_TBD
EL_to_FR-S!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is the issue I have. The manual says GL-3 but Pentosin is GL-4 (newer fluid spec.).
The dealer said they would not specify the type of fluid in the service write-up if I were to use Pentosin, but I am a bit worried that Toyota may try to hose me later if I need to claim something tranny related under warranty.
EL_to_TBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #46
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_to_TBD View Post
This is the issue I have. The manual says GL-3 but Pentosin is GL-4 (newer fluid spec.).
The dealer said they would not specify the type of fluid in the service write-up if I were to use Pentosin, but I am a bit worried that Toyota may try to hose me later if I need to claim something tranny related under warranty.
Fwiw, my dealer said the same thing about changing the trans fluid to something not OEM. I begged them to change it and so they spoke with Subaru of Canada and they put in something that the engineer approved of. I still get a bit of notchy 2nd gear when cold but it's a lot better now. They also mentioned that they don't care about what engine oil to run, but will make a big deal about transmission fluid, my guess is because of the diff that's in the trans in te AWD models. Yes I know our cars aren't awd but that's my reasoning for it. But in saying all that if you have a good repor with your service manager it helps a lot with suggesting things to them that you want to try without backlash.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #47
theom

Drives: FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who changed the fluid? Overfill could stress the seals.
If the car was not level, and especially if a pump was used it is possible to overfill the case.

I'd still bet it was a bad part or a botched assembly on the line that caused the failure.
theom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #48
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
August of 2014.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote