follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #43
eyedeez
Senior Member
 
eyedeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 176
Thanks: 211
Thanked 238 Times in 83 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
You're using V3's with OEM tophats and the noise is still there?

Yeah, oem tophats on all four corners. However, the clunk is only on the right rear and only after it settled for a little bit.
eyedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #44
brn12345
Senior Member
 
brn12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 254
Thanks: 101
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeez View Post
I'll be interested to hear if the subframe inserts help. I just installed some V3's on my FR-S and the right rear is clunking away. I undid the end links and the clunk continued. I'm going to remove the coilover later this week and inspect the entire unit for any obvious causes. I'm using the stock top-hats right now and I'm thinking perhaps there could be an issue there. Hopefully I can pinpoint the issue and eliminate the clunk, but more importantly I want to make sure I haven't installed something incorrectly.
I removed my suspension twice to check for the cause of the clunk and couldn't find anything. I think we need to concentrate on the subframe.
__________________
2013 Lightning Red - 6MT
Perrin Inlet Hose ~ TRD Panel Air Filter ~ OEM Modified Snorkel ~ Revolution 4-2-1 EL Header ~ HKS Resonated Front Pipe ~ BRZedit self tune ~ KW Clubsport Coilovers ~ AP Racing Big Brake 4 Piston ~ Whiteline Front Endlinks ~ Perrin Rear Endlinks ~ WedsSport TC105N 17x8 42+ ~Dunlop Direzza II Star Spec 225/45/17 ~ STI Trunk Lid Spoiler
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #45
d1ck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 249
Thanks: 31
Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've had this same clunk over bumps since I've installed my KW V3's as well. I've got the whiteline rear subframe mount insert kit too if that makes a difference. It's on the right side rear same as everyone else here.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #46
AxisPower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 23 GT4RS
Location: Western NY
Posts: 109
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I currently have whiteline inserts but I'll be switching to pbm risers, I'll let you know my results.
AxisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #47
eyedeez
Senior Member
 
eyedeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 176
Thanks: 211
Thanked 238 Times in 83 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Checking in after pulling out the right rear, making adjustments/checking all hardware, and re-installing. I managed to eliminate the clunk, although I couldn't pinpoint the problem. I made the following adjustments:

1) re-torqued the nut on top to 26 ft-lbs, making sure to use a strap wrench/vice grips and rubber hose to prevent the the coilover from spinning;

2) I adjusted the pre-load on the right rear to better match the left rear. I counted the threads at the bottom on the left rear and found that I was about 2 threads off from where the right rear was at;

3) I made sure to tighten the little lock on the purple collar on the bottom of the coilover to prevent my preload settings from moving;

4) finally, when reinstalling, I made sure everything was tightened down to the appropriate torque settings.

One of these things, if not all of them, helped eliminated whatever was causing my clunk.
eyedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #48
d1ck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 249
Thanks: 31
Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeez View Post
Checking in after pulling out the right rear, making adjustments/checking all hardware, and re-installing. I managed to eliminate the clunk, although I couldn't pinpoint the problem. I made the following adjustments:

1) re-torqued the nut on top to 26 ft-lbs, making sure to use a strap wrench/vice grips and rubber hose to prevent the the coilover from spinning;

2) I adjusted the pre-load on the right rear to better match the left rear. I counted the threads at the bottom on the left rear and found that I was about 2 threads off from where the right rear was at;

3) I made sure to tighten the little lock on the purple collar on the bottom of the coilover to prevent my preload settings from moving;

4) finally, when reinstalling, I made sure everything was tightened down to the appropriate torque settings.

One of these things, if not all of them, helped eliminated whatever was causing my clunk.
I'll have to give that a try when I take the car out in a week or two. Thanks for the tip.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #49
eyedeez
Senior Member
 
eyedeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 176
Thanks: 211
Thanked 238 Times in 83 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
I'll have to give that a try when I take the car out in a week or two. Thanks for the tip.
If I had to chose one that I thought was the most help, I'd say it was number one. When I installed the coilovers the first time, I don't think I compressed the tophat/spring plate/pre-stress spring enough to make everything sit flush with the compression buffer (that pink thing). Get a friend to help you compress all that stuff and then finger tighten the first nut all the way down. Then torque it to spec and add the other locking nut.

Good luck!
eyedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #50
AxisPower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 23 GT4RS
Location: Western NY
Posts: 109
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I figured I'd bump this thread since I fixed my problem. Ended up getting replacement dampers from parts shop max and the clunk went away. Wound't be surprised if BC and Stance also get their dampers from the same supplier, would explain why so many people complain about them making noise. Either way, seems like sometime last year there must have been a bad batch, its seems like they fixed it now.
AxisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #51
Superhatch
AIM4APX
 
Superhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 642
Thanked 749 Times in 324 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
FWIW I have a clunk from my fronts. This past weekend I replaced my suspension completely in essence. I replaced struts (B8's), tie rods and lower A arm bushing (whiteline roll kit), and end links (perrin). Everything was torqued, but I still have the same clunk. I did reuse the OEM pillow mounts.

Im going to take a look at the front again today and use another jack to compress the suspension in hopes that I can find something loose when its not under load.
__________________
"It's very difficult to present technology as an overtly positive sales device to people who want an emotional car" -Chris Harris
Superhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #52
Mikepage
Senior Member
 
Mikepage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Raven
Location: Canada
Posts: 690
Thanks: 380
Thanked 186 Times in 103 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have an noise also, details into this topic at the end.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81293
__________________
o= FR-S =o

Mikepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #53
wtfrs
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2014 Monogram
Location: Nevada
Posts: 72
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else still having this issue? Just installed my airlift kit and the clunking is horrible. I stop my car and press on my trunk and make it bounce and hear the clunking.. I just checked all my nuts and bolts and torqued them to all the correct specs.
wtfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #54
Mikepage
Senior Member
 
Mikepage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Raven
Location: Canada
Posts: 690
Thanks: 380
Thanked 186 Times in 103 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfrs View Post
Anyone else still having this issue? Just installed my airlift kit and the clunking is horrible. I stop my car and press on my trunk and make it bounce and hear the clunking.. I just checked all my nuts and bolts and torqued them to all the correct specs.

Do you have full metal pillow ball?

I think some noise are normal with that... Mostly with the Twins...
__________________
o= FR-S =o

Mikepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #55
DriftinFRS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 Scion Frs Whiteout
Location: Bellingham
Posts: 44
Thanks: 265
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My psm coils clunk and i have yet to figure out a solution.... guess ill try readjusting them again.
DriftinFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #56
John92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: White scion frs
Location: Homestead FL
Posts: 196
Thanks: 28
Thanked 67 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I installed coils and have the same clunk and it's only in the rear. Whenever I turn my wheels to one side the rear of the car raises and this is when the noise seems to happen. It happens on both sides. I am going to check the end links and sway bar next weeks as I checked the actual coilovers today.
John92 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clunk when going into first gear? huma BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 22 07-24-2014 05:49 PM
DG-5 Coilover harajukukei Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 17 06-27-2014 03:42 PM
Parking brake clunk FRiSson Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 4 06-28-2012 12:10 AM
Parking/Emergency Brake - "Clunk" EsoBOFH Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 6 06-24-2012 11:43 AM
Thud/Clunk when shifting. erom Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 10 06-17-2012 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.