follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
white86
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Whiteout FRS
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I took my swaybar completely off and drive around. No change in noise . I wish that was it. I've been racking my head with this problem for 6 months now it seems. For a while I just sort of dealt with it. But now having new suspension and it still does it: I'm depresses all over again lol. It's irritating having a problem with your car. Especially when you can't figure out what it is. And every time you give someone a ride the look on their face when you go over a series of bumps and it sounds like your diff is going to fall off.
white86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
White64Goat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Location: Fred. Co. Md.
Posts: 2,351
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,113 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Are you sure the mounting bolts are correct diameter?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
white86
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Whiteout FRS
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm using oem bolts
white86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #32
NemeGuero
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 459
Thanks: 42
Thanked 122 Times in 95 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
any news?
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #33
Sco2355
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Drives: FR-S
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 423
Thanks: 87
Thanked 107 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Have you tried the front end links like someone else suggested? Mine was making a similar noise on the drivers side front. Checked it and one of the self locking nuts stripped itself. Replaced it and all was well.... Until now the other side is doing it. Getting under the car in a bit to see if it's the same issue.

I understand you have air suspension now, but I don't know anything about air setups, so idk if this will help.
Sco2355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #34
Hachiroku14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2014 BRZ World Rally Blue
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 133
Thanks: 23
Thanked 145 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
just a note, endlinks that came with this will knock over time so i suggest you use the oem ones unless you upgrade the sway bar.
Hachiroku14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #35
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,857
Thanks: 519
Thanked 2,999 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I know this extreme but have you tried removing spare etc. also removing rear seat and deck to see if its interior related? Maybe frame creak removing rear plastics and trunk crap will make it easier to start prying on or lubing seams if all subframe is tight including carrier assembly.
__________________
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #36
Dephective
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Location: Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 233
Thanks: 110
Thanked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've got a set of coilovers and all 4 corners clack or clunk when going over slight bumps or road imperfections. Never had this before with aluminum top hats, why now? Going to call the manufacturer soon, but before I do I figured I would find out what it could be. I'm about to order a complete bushing setup to replace essentially all bushings in the suspension.
__________________
Previous:

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #37
*KID*
86-er
 
*KID*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: BRZ tS
Location: Laredo, TX
Posts: 970
Thanks: 195
Thanked 253 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have HKS coilovers and my passenger side clunks. Haven't had a chance to remove it to inspect it.
__________________
2018 Subaru BRZ ts 020/500 - My Daily, work car, and track car
*KID* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
AxisPower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 23 GT4RS
Location: Western NY
Posts: 109
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been having the exact same problem with a set of coils and lca's that I just installed brand new. Already tried disconnecting the sway bar, checking the top nut, etc. Only thing I noticed was that the rear springs sit on the top plate unlike the fronts which have their. own upper seat. This seems to be common among stances, BR, PSM etc. When I was checking my pillowball for play I noticed when moving the top plate the spring would shift depending on how I pressed on the plate. Whenever it moved, the spring would make a "pop" as it resettled in its seat. After increasing my preload I could no longer get the spring to move by hand but wonder if it could still shift while going over a bump and make this sound? It seems like the inner diameter of the spring doesn't quite match the outer diameter of the lower spring seat. I should also add I have whiteline inserts for the subframe and diff, so there is still the possibility they could be moving but it seems unlikely. In my case this noise seems to be more pronounced at low speeds.
AxisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #39
NemeGuero
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 459
Thanks: 42
Thanked 122 Times in 95 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've adjusted the preload beyond and below "zero" according to the number of turns and it hasn't made a difference.
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #40
brn12345
Senior Member
 
brn12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 254
Thanks: 101
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have had my KW Clubsports on for a few months now and the "clunk" has always been there. I had tried to adjust endlinks, tighten the top mounts and loads of other things. The sound remains the same. The only thing I have not tried is the subframe bushings. I have a feeling that when we up the spring rate on our cars the subframe bushings are tasked with doing more than they were designed for and therefore fully compress and we get the metal on metal "clunk".

I have subframe inserts but have not had the time to install them. When I do and if they solve the issue, I will post back here.
__________________
2013 Lightning Red - 6MT
Perrin Inlet Hose ~ TRD Panel Air Filter ~ OEM Modified Snorkel ~ Revolution 4-2-1 EL Header ~ HKS Resonated Front Pipe ~ BRZedit self tune ~ KW Clubsport Coilovers ~ AP Racing Big Brake 4 Piston ~ Whiteline Front Endlinks ~ Perrin Rear Endlinks ~ WedsSport TC105N 17x8 42+ ~Dunlop Direzza II Star Spec 225/45/17 ~ STI Trunk Lid Spoiler
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #41
eyedeez
Senior Member
 
eyedeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 176
Thanks: 211
Thanked 238 Times in 83 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn12345 View Post
I have had my KW Clubsports on for a few months now and the "clunk" has always been there. I had tried to adjust endlinks, tighten the top mounts and loads of other things. The sound remains the same. The only thing I have not tried is the subframe bushings. I have a feeling that when we up the spring rate on our cars the subframe bushings are tasked with doing more than they were designed for and therefore fully compress and we get the metal on metal "clunk".

I have subframe inserts but have not had the time to install them. When I do and if they solve the issue, I will post back here.
I'll be interested to hear if the subframe inserts help. I just installed some V3's on my FR-S and the right rear is clunking away. I undid the end links and the clunk continued. I'm going to remove the coilover later this week and inspect the entire unit for any obvious causes. I'm using the stock top-hats right now and I'm thinking perhaps there could be an issue there. Hopefully I can pinpoint the issue and eliminate the clunk, but more importantly I want to make sure I haven't installed something incorrectly.
eyedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #42
NemeGuero
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 459
Thanks: 42
Thanked 122 Times in 95 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeez View Post
I'll be interested to hear if the subframe inserts help. I just installed some V3's on my FR-S and the right rear is clunking away. I undid the end links and the clunk continued. I'm going to remove the coilover later this week and inspect the entire unit for any obvious causes. I'm using the stock top-hats right now and I'm thinking perhaps there could be an issue there. Hopefully I can pinpoint the issue and eliminate the clunk, but more importantly I want to make sure I haven't installed something incorrectly.
You're using V3's with OEM tophats and the noise is still there?
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clunk when going into first gear? huma BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 22 07-24-2014 05:49 PM
DG-5 Coilover harajukukei Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 17 06-27-2014 03:42 PM
Parking brake clunk FRiSson Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 4 06-28-2012 12:10 AM
Parking/Emergency Brake - "Clunk" EsoBOFH Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 6 06-24-2012 11:43 AM
Thud/Clunk when shifting. erom Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 10 06-17-2012 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.