follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question on PA emissions

So I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere (or out of local shops -- I'm in NEPA). I live in Lackawanna county and require an emissions test. I believe it's jsut a visual and not a sniffer. Does anyone know if I can get uncatted headers as long as the secondary cat remains in place? Or do I need catted headers?

Looking to potentially move near pittsburgh if I can find a comprable job back there, so would be curious if Allegheny county would have the same rules as Lackawanna.

Sorry if this or similar has been answered elsewhere on the forum. I did search, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Would love to be able to save a few hundred on uncatted headers if possible (not going to swap OEM back on annually)...
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
pa emissions test is an obd2 test sniffer tests are for old cars
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
Optimus Prime (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Optimus Prime

So as long as I have the secondary cat under the car, I should be good to go as long as I'm not throwing a CEL (O2 spacer, tune, et al)? Sounds good to me! I'm not sure why I was thinking I needed a header with a cat...
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Lackawanna county only requires a visual anti tampering test. You get one safety sticker and no emission sticker. Whether or not you'll pass is entirely up to the inspector. Technically you would fail, but depends on the knowledge of the inspector, and how thorough he performs the visual test. I would pass you if you come to me.
@Optimus Prime
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pche For This Useful Post:
Optimus Prime (04-25-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
ThatGuyMike

Drives: Modded 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I was wondering about this to and no one i talk to can give me a definite answer i am in the Pittsburgh region and i already have a greddy evo 3 and an invidia catless midpipe but i was looking at getting headers and an overpipe to finish off my exhaust but i dont want to spend all this money and fail emissions or inspection. And would a ft 86 speed factory catted uel header be more beneficial over the borla non catted uel?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
ThatGuyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Optimus Prime

From what I've been able to dig up, I believe I saw Allegheny county did an OBDII check for a CEL as well as a visual check to make sure a cat(s) is(are) present.

What I haven't found a definitive answer on yet, is if the visual inspection would apply to just the cat on the exhaust (yeah yeah, head is part of exhast, but you get my point!), or if it also would mean they could fail you for removing the cat off of the header.

Final point, I think technically tampering with ANY part of your exhaust could fail you, but generally speaking, so long as cat(s) are in place with no CEL, it seerms like most places would pass you.

I'm not a mechanic/inspector nor did I stay at a holiday inn express, so take this with a large mound of salt.

I've had some unexpected issues pop up with my house and my daily driver, so my header research is temporarily on hold.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So a catless header with a tune shouldn't report a CEL, so we should be good there. But, I've read some things about readiness monitors (not CEL's but still in the ECU) that might not show as "ready" that might affect the ability to get inspected. Anyone run into this?
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Pokeguyjai

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ (AT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For Northampton it is also OBDII. As long as you are not throwing a CEL you are good to go. I believe that if you are throwing a CEL due to being catless, you can get that fixed at a performance shop to avoid the CEL light.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
ThatGuyMike

Drives: Modded 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/aq_apps/emissions/test.aspx

Anyone else see this I just found it today and it seems like it clears up at least a little about our question. Seems as long as no CEL your good unless there is a visual check for cats. You can type in your county and car and see what type of test is performed.
Mods: Greddy evo 3, invidia catless midpipe, Diode Dynamics leds HID and switchbacks, Spyder tail lights, Plasti dipped emblems wheels and front bumper, Perrin filter, inlet hose, and lightweight pulley kit, Rexpeed mirrors, Grimmspeed hood struts and strut tower bar, and tinted down
ThatGuyMike is offline   Reply With Quote