follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
manonastick

Drives: WRB ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buckled rims? Vibrations? No signs of damage?

Hey guys

Im in a pickle here and wondering if anyone could help offer some advice..
here is my story in short sentences not sure in correct grammer though.

I purschased used set of wheels they were perfect with slight rash
(Ame tracers tm-02)

Then i replaced the crappy Chinese tires that was on them with some new Nitto Invo at the shop

next i put them on my BRZ, Drove on them for 10 minutes and it felt fine, but then took it out the next day and felt there was definitely some vibration being felt from my bottom.

So i took it to another tyre shop to get the wheels balanced as the place I got my tires was far from my place.. They guys say 3 of my wheels is buckled but i had my doubt as they were dunlop retailer and told me my nitto was some chinese crap til they found out it was made in japan and gave me the impression they are not too knowledgeable on what they are doing.

I had a read about Nito Invo vibrations on google and found out there is few cases egarding this with new tyres having this problem

So im not sure where to go from this point as i dont know if i should investigate into the wheels being damaged but i dont see any dents out our inside of them or speak he the tyre dealer that sold me the Invos. Note i do have the correct Hubcentric Rings as well.

Any insight will be appreciated

Cheers guys!

Last edited by manonastick; 01-13-2015 at 11:25 AM.
manonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonastick View Post
Hey guys

Im in a pickle here and wondering if anyone could help offer some advice..
here is my story in short sentences not sure in correct grammer though.

I purschased used set of wheels they were perfect with slight rash
(Ame tracers tm-02)

Then i replaced the crappy Chinese tires that was on them with some new Nitto Invo at the shop

next i put them on my BRZ, Drove on them for 10 minutes and it felt fine, but then took it out the next day and felt there was definitely some vibration being felt from my bottom.

So i took it to another tyre shop to get the wheels balanced as the place I got my tires was far from my place.. They guys say 3 of my wheels is buckled but i had my doubt as they were dunlop retailer and told me my nitto was some chinese crap til they found out it was made in japan and gave me the impression they are not too knowledgeable on what they are doing.

I had a read about Nito Invo vibrations on google and found out there is few cases egarding this with new tyres having this problem

So im not sure where to go from this point as i dont know if i should investigate into the wheels being damaged but i dont see any dents out our inside of them or speak he the tyre dealer that sold me the Invos. Note i do have the correct Hubcentric Rings as well.

Any insight will be appreciated

Cheers guys!
I have used Nitto INVO in both 225 and 255 widths (on 18" wheels).

The narrower tyres I didn't have any issues with but the 255 tyres highlighted slight buckles in a brand new set of wheels I had. Wheel place had me remove the tyres as the INVOs in 255 ran so far from true they were exaggerating the buckles.

Took them off to check wheels.

Now have a perfect set of wheels and as for road mainly I put the INVOs back on and have some vibration back. Personally I think the deep channels aren't quite true on the wider tyres but not too bad on the narrower 225 tyres.

Used them on track last week and were ok but still some vibration that I can't get rid of. I will use them until they have worn out and then look at Michelin Pilot Sports again or Bridgestone RE002 tyres I think.

What I'd do if I were you is have the tyres removed from the wheels and then have a tyre or wheel place put on their balancing machine to see if the wheels are true. If they are then swap out the tyres. If the wheels aren't true then see if they can be repaired. But, get them checked without tyres on is the key.