follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Delicious tuning OTS?

I was wondering, if most of the maps that delicious tuning sell could be compared as an OTS map like OFT.
What I mean is: I see delicious doing extensive dyno test on different FI solution and then releasing a map for a specific kit (ex: kraftwerk, AVO, innovate). They even update the map time to time with improvement.

What I'm trying to understand here is if when you buy a map like that you need extra dyno-street tune or you are ready to go with just a bit of data logging to ensure everything run smoothly.

My problem is I have no tuners in my country (gt86 here is almost unknown) so I need a tune that will not need any extra dynotune etc.
Like the OTS maps that shiv provide.

I hope I made myself clear, if not I apologize in advance.

WARNING:

I'M NOT COMPARING IN ANY WAY OFT MAPS TO DELICIOUS TUNING MAPS!
NEITHER I'M TALKING ABOUT OFT VS ECUTEK.

SO PLEASE DON'T START A FLAME AGAIN ABOUT PROS AND CONS OF THESE TWO TUNING SOLUTION.

@DeliciousTuning
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
I was wondering, if most of the maps that delicious tuning sell could be compared as an OTS map like OFT.
What I mean is: I see delicious doing extensive dyno test on different FI solution and then releasing a map for a specific kit (ex: kraftwerk, AVO, innovate). They even update the map time to time with improvement.

What I'm trying to understand here is if when you buy a map like that you need extra dyno-street tune or you are ready to go with just a bit of data logging to ensure everything run smoothly.

My problem is I have no tuners in my country (gt86 here is almost unknown) so I need a tune that will not need any extra dynotune etc.

WARNING:

SO PLEASE DON'T START A FLAME AGAIN ABOUT PROS AND CONS OF THESE TWO TUNING SOLUTION.

@DeliciousTuning
well, pretty sure he did the carb tune for both innovate and JR.
However, if you have other mods which varies from what he tuned on, it no longer applies. That is how it is with OTS tunes for specific modifications.

Do you actually have an OFT?
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Victor Draken

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
well, pretty sure he did the carb tune for both innovate and JR.
However, if you have other mods which varies from what he tuned on, it no longer applies. That is how it is with OTS tunes for specific modifications.

Do you actually have an OFT?
Why are you asking it ?

When you say other mods you mean different brands or just different parts?

I don't think delicious did JR carb. I believe he tuned KW, but I could be wrong.
I'm not interested in carb legal tune anyway so it doesn't really concern or answer my question.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
s2d4

Quote:
Why are you asking it ?

When you say other mods you mean different brands or just different parts?

I don't think delicious did JR carb. I believe he tuned KW, but I could be wrong.
I'm not interested in carb legal tune anyway so it doesn't really concern or answer my question.
1. Just wondering because you seem to hound shiv all the time.
2. Different parts.
3. Perhaps you are right about carb for JR, but what I am saying is if you deviate from what the tune was done on (carb is basically an OTS tune for stock header), you will need for it to be retuned to take advantage or not lose power because of your other mods.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
s2d4

btw, he actually has a thread for these type of questions.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52200
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Victor Draken

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
1. Just wondering because you seem to hound shiv all the time.
2. Different parts.
3. Perhaps you are right about carb for JR, but what I am saying is if you deviate from what the tune was done on (carb is basically an OTS tune for stock header), you will need for it to be retuned to take advantage or not lose power because of your other mods.
1) i dont hound him, I just like to understand things properly. So I question.

Yes i have an OFT if you were going to check out 1.56b ots thread you would have seen my first log posted few days ago.

I'll check out that thread. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bill has tuned a lot of twins remotely, without a dyno. Your car isn't any different. The tunes aren't as good as it would be if they were in the car & on a dyno. But they are still very good/certainly better than stock, and incredibly affordable. If you have a completely one off forced induction system, you'll be shit out of luck. But a remote tune for any of the off the shelf kits shouldn't be an issue.

If you mod the kit for more boost, a different exhaust etc. you'll have to ask your tuner about that directly. From my dealings with Bill from DT, I doubt he'd fret about the minor changes required for a header, and most of his tunes are made to work with most of the optional supercharger pulleys that are available. But you should ask him about that. If you don't plan to mod the kit after you buy it, you should have zero issues with Bill.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:

WARNING:

@DeliciousTuning
Great questions and thanks for taking to time to think them out and ask.

The tunes I have been developing are a wide range but here is a break down of how they work for customers remotely.

1. Not turbo applications come down a couple main difference, headers and intake.
- From what we have seen changing the size of the MAF sensor housing will have a large impact on the tune, so this does take time to refine. So we suggest (from our tuning perspective) sticking with systems that improve the performance but does not affect the size of the intake diameter near the MAF. So either stick with the stock intake box, removing the snorkle and dropping in a panel filter OR go with an AirAid intake as they keep nearly identical airflow characteristics past the MAF sensor and actually help horsepower.
- The headers, such as PPE or JDL, benefit greatly from cam adjustments. Luckily we have done quite a few of both now and have seen gains to about 200+ whp on California 91 octane, definitely an impressive improvement over 170 stock. So they do require a more specific tune but we do have those tunes available also.

2. On forced induction (supercharger) applications it comes down to a few things, based primarily on Supercharged or Turbocharged.
- Supercharged systems we have pretty much dialed in every kit so far. Reason being the back pressure (out the exhaust) is pretty minimal on these systems and so we have pretty standard maps that get you about 90% of the way of a dyno tune. While changing full exhaust system does help, the bulk of the tune and power if from the supercharger itself. Yes there is more refining, and we offer those refinement updates to our customers as we improve the tune, at no additional charge.
- Turbocharged systems, are a little different but for the most part we have developed a way to dial in just about any setup (literally) to about 80% of a dyno tune. So with that in mind we can take any kit on the market and tune it pretty quickly for you, even remotely. We just need a couple pieces of information from you and we can develop a tune for it and get you up in runnning the same day (just make sure to schedule time with us). This is an ongoing development and will probably update forever. We are now also adding in boost control, FlexFuel/E85 options for these tuning applications that can be added at the time of purchase.

So are these the best maps out there, no, there are local tuners that I am sure will make a better map if they have the vehicle in their hand and the use of a dyno. But for those of you out there, that do not have that option, this is our goal, to offer a solid reliable, drivable solution you can enjoy with no additional tuning required.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (03-03-2014), pmccut (03-03-2014), The Racers Line (03-02-2014), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (03-03-2014), Victor Draken (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post

The tunes I have been developing are a wide range but here is a break down of how they work for customers remotely.

1. Not turbo applications come down a couple main difference, headers and intake.
- From what we have seen changing the size of the MAF sensor housing will have a large impact on the tune, so this does take time to refine. So we suggest (from our tuning perspective) sticking with systems that improve the performance but does not affect the size of the intake diameter near the MAF. So either stick with the stock intake box, removing the snorkle and dropping in a panel filter OR go with an AirAid intake as they keep nearly identical airflow characteristics past the MAF sensor and actually help horsepower.
- The headers, such as PPE or JDL, benefit greatly from cam adjustments. Luckily we have done quite a few of both now and have seen gains to about 200+ whp on California 91 octane, definitely an impressive improvement over 170 stock. So they do require a more specific tune but we do have those tunes available also.

2. On forced induction (supercharger) applications it comes down to a few things, based primarily on Supercharged or Turbocharged.
- Supercharged systems we have pretty much dialed in every kit so far. Reason being the back pressure (out the exhaust) is pretty minimal on these systems and so we have pretty standard maps that get you about 90% of the way of a dyno tune. While changing full exhaust system does help, the bulk of the tune and power if from the supercharger itself. Yes there is more refining, and we offer those refinement updates to our customers as we improve the tune, at no additional charge.
- Turbocharged systems, are a little different but for the most part we have developed a way to dial in just about any setup (literally) to about 80% of a dyno tune. So with that in mind we can take any kit on the market and tune it pretty quickly for you, even remotely. We just need a couple pieces of information from you and we can develop a tune for it and get you up in runnning the same day (just make sure to schedule time with us). This is an ongoing development and will probably update forever. We are now also adding in boost control, FlexFuel/E85 options for these tuning applications that can be added at the time of purchase.

So are these the best maps out there, no, there are local tuners that I am sure will make a better map if they have the vehicle in their hand and the use of a dyno. But for those of you out there, that do not have that option, this is our goal, to offer a solid reliable, drivable solution you can enjoy with no additional tuning required.

Cheers,
William Knose
I've been trying to decide on a FI kit for sometime now, and had decided to go with the JDL kit until I couldn't find a good way to acquire a base tune. I'm so happy you are coming out with a base tune for their kit! Hopefully Equal and Unequal length options

BTW, Jay's car with the Innovate kit I installed yesterday runs great! Thanks again for the quick response and tune.

Neal
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Cheers,
William Knose

But you basic kit doesn't have a "tune", the way I read the webpage its the first ECUtek package that is unlocked for someone to take to a local tuner/dyno for the tune, or even DIY?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
But you basic kit doesn't have a "tune", the way I read the webpage its the first ECUtek package that is unlocked for someone to take to a local tuner/dyno for the tune, or even DIY?
If you would like to tune yourself with EcuTeK and all the available features we tune with, this is what i would suggest: EcuTeK ProECU Kit and RaceROM Upgrade

We do not currently offer unlocked base maps at this time. The maps we have developed are designed to potentially be a complete tune for your setup. As we have stated we offer tunes to about 80-95% of a dyno tune. We are always refining these tunes and as time progresses these numbers will increase. Being a new car it takes times.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
If you would like to tune yourself with EcuTeK and all the available features we tune with, this is what i would suggest: EcuTeK ProECU Kit and RaceROM Upgrade

We do not currently offer unlocked base maps at this time. The maps we have developed are designed to potentially be a complete tune for your setup. As we have stated we offer tunes to about 80-95% of a dyno tune. We are always refining these tunes and as time progresses these numbers will increase. Being a new car it takes times.

Cheers,
William Knose
Just thinking in text here; I wonder if there would be a market for tune it yourself base tunes from you and other tuners, that already have the tip in knock issues, and di seal issues fixed? Maybe include throttle mapping, improved idle, and other driveability portions of the tune to give people a jumping off point?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Just thinking in text here; I wonder if there would be a market for tune it yourself base tunes from you and other tuners, that already have the tip in knock issues, and di seal issues fixed? Maybe include throttle mapping, improved idle, and other driveability portions of the tune to give people a jumping off point?
The thing to consider is what is in it for the vender when distributing this map. As if they were to lock it, you cant edit it, and if they don't lock it anyone could use it so they would not gain any money for their extensive time put into building the base. This is what Bill does full time for a living. He needs to put food on the table somehow.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
The thing to consider is what is in it for the vender when distributing this map. As if they were to lock it, you cant edit it, and if they don't lock it anyone could use it so they would not gain any money for their extensive time put into building the base. This is what Bill does full time for a living. He needs to put food on the table somehow.
My thought was he could sell it for a reduced price. Not that this was a well thought out thought exercise.