follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2026, 03:46 PM   #1
Jozy
Member
 
Jozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz Limited
Location: Arlington,Tx
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Steering Clunk at Dead Center

Starting a new thread I posted this in a other but it may be dead at this point.


I have a clunk coming from the steering wheel only when at dead center and moving left to right. Once past dead center I don't feel it. I'll list the parts I replaced below, though on my last work doing my tie rods. I grabbed the steering shaft right at the U joint twisted left and right and I could replicate the sound. It can't be EPS because I replaced x2 this last time I replaced with a Hyundai Rubber one and cut the nips of so it would sit flush. (When I replaced the oem coupler the 2nd time it was still in tact.)
If it's the U Joint what are my options as far as replacement or upgrade?
I found Perrin sells a damper lockdown but does not fit our platform.
Any insight or help is greatly appreciated, I'm going mad trying to fix this noise!!

Parts Checked / Replaced:

Inner Tie Rods (GKTech)
Outer Rods (Moog)
Control Arm Bushings (Whiteline)
Perrin PolyUrethane Endlinks (One bushing was shot perrin sent me another and replaced)
Perrin Steering Rack Lock Downs with STI Bolts (Retorqued)
EPS Coupler with Hyundai Rubber Version (Nips Snipped)
Stock Sway bar replaced bushings with (Whiteline)
Struts from 2017 still solid
Jozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2026, 01:51 PM   #2
blsfrs
Senior Member
 
blsfrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
Starting a new thread I posted this in a other but it may be dead at this point.


I have a clunk coming from the steering wheel only when at dead center and moving left to right. Once past dead center I don't feel it. I'll list the parts I replaced below, though on my last work doing my tie rods. I grabbed the steering shaft right at the U joint twisted left and right and I could replicate the sound. It can't be EPS because I replaced x2 this last time I replaced with a Hyundai Rubber one and cut the nips of so it would sit flush. (When I replaced the oem coupler the 2nd time it was still in tact.)
If it's the U Joint what are my options as far as replacement or upgrade?
I found Perrin sells a damper lockdown but does not fit our platform.
Any insight or help is greatly appreciated, I'm going mad trying to fix this noise!!

















































































































































































































































Parts Checked / Replaced:

Inner Tie Rods (GKTech)
Outer Rods (Moog)
Control Arm Bushings (Whiteline)
Perrin PolyUrethane Endlinks (One bushing was shot perrin sent me another and replaced)
Perrin Steering Rack Lock Downs with STI Bolts (Retorqued)
EPS Coupler with Hyundai Rubber Version (Nips Snipped)
Stock Sway bar replaced bushings with (Whiteline)
Struts from 2017 still solid
Can you post a video?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2026, 12:33 AM   #3
SmartalecBRZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: World Rally Blue Subaru BRZ
Location: PA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dude! Trust me, It’s the rack (steering rack assembly).

I went thru this rabbit hole over a year. New tie rods. New steering shaft. New EPS bushing. After a while it became an audible clunk. I disconnected the steering shaft from the rack and with my fingers could move the input shaft to the rack and it made the clunk. So I take the inner and outer tie rods off of the Driver side and spin the rack out so I can see the rack piece and sure enough that thing had so much play. I got a used low miles rack and pinion on eBay and problem solved.

TLDR; It’s the rack and you just have to trust me.

Last edited by SmartalecBRZ; 07-02-2026 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Spelling and Clarification
SmartalecBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top dead center? fableluke Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 09-26-2021 11:50 AM
2018 tS steering clunk Brz_racer Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 18 12-10-2018 01:05 PM
Clunk noise when turning steering wheel to right noonedoesnt Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 15 07-03-2018 09:14 PM
Thrust/pillowball mount bearing clunk while steering VacantSky Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 14 06-04-2015 12:43 PM
Steering clunk over rough roads 73TORANA! Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 39 12-05-2014 07:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.