follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2026, 12:10 PM   #1
TStafford
Member
 
TStafford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2015 FR-S Ultramarine Metallic
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 86
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PCV and oil cap question

I had the smell of oil dripping onto the exhaust after driving my car. After not finding any leaks or oil on the exhaust, I thought maybe it was the PCV. I replaced the PCV, but as part of the testing process, I removed the oil fill cap and noticed that air was puffing out of the opening when the engine was idling. Is that normal? This happened before and after the PCV replacement. The hose is not blocked.
TStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 02:05 PM   #2
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStafford View Post
I had the smell of oil dripping onto the exhaust after driving my car. After not finding any leaks or oil on the exhaust, I thought maybe it was the PCV. I replaced the PCV, but as part of the testing process, I removed the oil fill cap and noticed that air was puffing out of the opening when the engine was idling. Is that normal? This happened before and after the PCV replacement. The hose is not blocked.
Any time a fluid (gasses and liquids) has multiple ways to escape a high pressure location it will take an "all of the above" route. I haven't observed this specifically, but it makes sense that you would notice this happening.
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2026, 04:15 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Just to add onto this, is your car a manual? May be the rear cam plate. Passenger side rear of the engine, run a rag under there and I bet you'll find the source.
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2026, 09:39 AM   #4
TStafford
Member
 
TStafford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2015 FR-S Ultramarine Metallic
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 86
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The car is a manual. I will check the location you suggested for oil leakage.
The smell of oil seems to be gone.
The question is this: Is it normal (with a good or new PCV) for air to puff out of the oil fill tube when the engine is idling? This is tested with the cap removed.
TStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2026, 03:05 PM   #5
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStafford View Post
The question is this: Is it normal (with a good or new PCV) for air to puff out of the oil fill tube when the engine is idling? This is tested with the cap removed.
Yes, it is normal.

Engine produce pressure, no engine is designed to be run with the oil cap off.
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2026, 11:32 AM   #6
TStafford
Member
 
TStafford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2015 FR-S Ultramarine Metallic
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 86
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The funny thing is, I got the idea from a YouTube video on how to check your PCV status.
I did what I think is the correct check, which was to shake the valve and see if it was stuck. Also, did it rattle like the new PCV?
The old one would rattle, but it was sluggish. Given the price of the new one and since I had to remove the old one to check it, I planned to swap it either way.
The car has about 50,000 miles on it.
SU003-06103 = $11.40
TStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2026, 10:04 PM   #7
ZC6_STi
Senior Member
 
ZC6_STi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue #709
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Thanks: 57
Thanked 73 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStafford View Post
The funny thing is, I got the idea from a YouTube video on how to check your PCV status.
I did what I think is the correct check, which was to shake the valve and see if it was stuck. Also, did it rattle like the new PCV?
The old one would rattle, but it was sluggish. Given the price of the new one and since I had to remove the old one to check it, I planned to swap it either way.
The car has about 50,000 miles on it.
SU003-06103 = $11.40
Yep, its suppose to rattle brand new. Sluggish rattle is a symptom that it is about to fail. If it doesn't rattle, then the internal value isn't operating correctly. PCV is required to be replaced every 30,000 miles to fix the rough idle, and if there is a distinct oil smell. I replaced it with the WRX/STi PCV since it holds better pressure compared to the BRZ/GT86/FRS version.
ZC6_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubber cap next to PCV valve? FRS10Series Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 4 11-15-2023 08:54 AM
SARD CF Intake Pipe, SARD Oil Catch Can, TRD Oil Cap, Rad Cap, Battery Clamp Trojan_SC Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 19 03-28-2018 07:52 PM
Mishimoto PCV catch can and PCV valve nearvincent Forced Induction 7 08-01-2017 04:58 PM
TRD oil cap, radiator cap, gas cap, shift knob GodSays Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 3 06-08-2015 05:39 PM
86 oil cap > grimspeed oil cap! Sexyeve Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 24 09-10-2013 12:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.