follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2023, 12:07 AM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Endlink making contact with lower control arm

SO, I have had AST 5100 suspension since November of 2022, and because my end links were too long (stock), I was running without end links for a while. About a month ago I was able to put my Whiteline end links on, which was purchased from the guy who had the AST suspension. He had no problems with it at all and hadn't touched either since taking them off of his car, but when I put them on they are clunking really bad, and are making contact with the lower control arm (when I was finally able to take a look at them). I know this because the paint is clearly removed on the control arm. I am also running TRD sways (USDM red ones). Now, as for a solution, do they have to be shorter or longer because it is a change in sway bar height, or is there something I am missing. Any help helps. Thanks!

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:23 AM   #2
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,529 Times in 6,205 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Pictures would help. Some sway bar and strut combos need shorter endlinks and some need longer. Try to get a picture from inside the wheel well with the car on the ground and steering straight (might not be possible). Also, a picture of the control arm where it's hitting.

When does it clunk? Did you adjust the endlinks to remove preload at all? Is it hitting on both sides or just one?
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Pictures would help. Some sway bar and strut combos need shorter endlinks and some need longer. Try to get a picture from inside the wheel well with the car on the ground and steering straight (might not be possible). Also, a picture of the control arm where it's hitting.

When does it clunk? Did you adjust the endlinks to remove preload at all? Is it hitting on both sides or just one?
Will grab a few photos when I have some time (been a bit busy with school). As for when does it clunk; it clunks when turning and when hitting bumps (Michigan roads, so a lot of bumps). With turning, it varies when it clunks, as sometimes it get close to lock to lock without clunking, other times 45º makes it clunk, but it clunks less when moving in terms of turning. Also, I am not 100% sure it is making contact on both sides, but it seems to sound like it is coming from both sides. As mentioned, the end links/suspension were not touched at all between being removed from the previous owners car and my car, and the steering was straight when they were installed, so sway bars should not have been loaded.

T RD, Verus, Ace
Old 04-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,011 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I had a similar problem with the WL front end links and a WL front sway.
You'll want these (https://www.splparts.com/products/fr...t-version.html) to solve your problem.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #5
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,529 Times in 6,205 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Will grab a few photos when I have some time (been a bit busy with school). As for when does it clunk; it clunks when turning and when hitting bumps (Michigan roads, so a lot of bumps). With turning, it varies when it clunks, as sometimes it get close to lock to lock without clunking, other times 45º makes it clunk, but it clunks less when moving in terms of turning. Also, I am not 100% sure it is making contact on both sides, but it seems to sound like it is coming from both sides. As mentioned, the end links/suspension were not touched at all between being removed from the previous owners car and my car, and the steering was straight when they were installed, so sway bars should not have been loaded.
Yeah, my guess is you will want to go shorter to get the ends of the bar above the control arm. Just not too short because then you will start hitting the body. You might be able to get away with shortening the endlinks you have through adjustment, or you may need to get shorter endlinks.

If you have a different bar than the seller, then what worked for his car may not work for yours. Clearance is tight in the wheel well, a millimeter or two can make the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Bergycheese348 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #6
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I had a similar problem with the WL front end links and a WL front sway.
You'll want these (https://www.splparts.com/products/fr...t-version.html) to solve your problem.
Actual contact between the end link and control arm? I have heard they have had issues with the nuts coming loose and causing clunking, but have notheard of actual contact, which I would think is the main issue.

T RD, Verus, Ace

Last edited by Bergycheese348; 04-24-2023 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,460 Times in 7,451 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Actual contact between the end link and control arm? I have heard they have had issues with the nuts coming loose and causing clunking, but have notheard of actual contact, which I would think is the main issue.
Almost all aftermarket endlinks have this issue. I always recommended double nutting them. I blocked my car up and measured strut to swaybar with no end link attached and ordered one from WL that fit. The standard one was too long on my car with T2's.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:21 PM   #8
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,017 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
This is what you need....thinest, strongest adjustable endlinks for the 86 chassis
https://www.hotchkis.net/product/hot...13-subaru-brz/
Old 04-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #9
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,011 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

No, the excessively long end link puts the sway bar in a position where the control arm and sway come into contact. The SPL part is shorter, which solved this problem for me.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #10
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I had the same issue with stock end-links. As an additional option, the Racerx endlinks worked well length-wise with RCE T2 struts.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:55 PM   #11
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
No, the excessively long end link puts the sway bar in a position where the control arm and sway come into contact. The SPL part is shorter, which solved this problem for me.
Hey guys what is the neutral position for the OE front swaybar since it as a curve at the end? Is the imaginary "A" line suppose to be parallel to the ground or is the the "B" line suppose to be parallel to the ground. Rear sway bar doesn't have the bend so its easy to asses the neutral position

Also does the above recommendations for SPL / Hotchkis front end links work with a 1" lowered Tein FlexZ and OE sway bar as well?
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:51 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A is parallel-ish, bar bends over steering rod. It is currently approximately 180 degrees out from where it should be in your picture.
Attached Images

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (04-29-2023), whataboutbob (04-30-2023)