|
||||||
| Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2022
Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
I know it's been asked but p0018
Hi guys, I have a question. My car threw the p0018 code when I was backing out of a parking spot. The car went into limp mode and I've already looked up what's going on and such. And I already have seen the posts here about the timing and sprockets and ECU replacement. My car is a 2013 Scion frs and it is my daily. I really need this car to commute to my job it is a 40 minutes highway drive back and forth. I've read that this can be a pretty costly repair. My question is before I go ahead and tear everything down to check my timing to see if that's what the issue is, are there any faster/cheaper things to test first. It seems pretty prominent that it's the sprocket's and ECU that will need to be replaced just from what I have read but I want to rule out the easier cheaper things before I tear it down. And I'm going to reset the CEL first to see if it comes back. Just curious what the most cost efficient way to go about this is. I have always worked on my own cars but this one I have never had to do anything except check the oil so I am very unfamiliar with these cars other than driving. Thanks for any info
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Repair procedure for that is here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1378232133 Beyond that you are getting into bigger problems.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 | |
|
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2022
Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
I would start by removing the AVCS solenoid and working the valve with a screwdriver to see if it's jammed. Don't drive it like that. Hopefully, the learned value in that init table hasn't yet swung too far out of whack.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: 2014 scion frs
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 241
Thanks: 283
Thanked 247 Times in 122 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
Had this code show up with a low battery/loose negative connection.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
I wouldn't fuck around with it. The fewer starts with a jammed valve, the better. Once that learned initial value table is thrown too far out of whack, it's "Adios, ECU."
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Once those learned values are in there you are screwed and the ECU needs replaced.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
|
Is there any datalog values that can be looked at to confirm that the valve is jammed vs a sensor problem?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Yeah, you should be able to monitor cam position.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Yes. The current and duty cycle of that solenoid will be abnormally high as the system tries in vain to push the valve. Those values can be monitored in real time with techstream and with OBDLink software. Techstream can be used to test the servos by manually slewing the valve timing out of whack in both directions.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Asked to delete | TOYPARTS | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 8 | 10-24-2015 01:02 PM |
| Most annoyingly over-asked questions on FT86 forums | mit_peid | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 36 | 01-16-2014 02:48 PM |
| Have you ever Asked Yourself? | subwaynm | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 58 | 12-06-2013 02:11 PM |
| asked dealer service manager about aftermarket/warranty | NuckinFutsFR-S | Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB | 23 | 10-31-2012 08:24 AM |