follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Weigaldo
Senior Member
 
Weigaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Location: Chicago
Posts: 114
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Newb's first attempt reducing cold start volume with RomRaider

The preamble of this post won't necessarily be in the spirit of the software tuning thread, so you can skip to the bottom if you're here for the RomRaider part... But I just felt like I should give some backstory for anyone else out there who is just getting into cars. It may be embarrassing, but you've gotta start somewhere! Forums like these are filled with great information from knowledgeable people to get you started.

**********

When I got my first car, I only cared about tinted windows, cool rims, loud sound systems, spoilers, and of course stickers. I was a "ricer" doing things I thought were cool. Yes, I had a GTR badge on a Hyundai for a few months.

Eventually I grew past that and started caring about performance. I had a local shop install a catback exhaust without issue. Next I took my car in to get an intake installed and this mechanic must have been new because he messed something up. After checking forums, I asked him if the maf sensor was installed backwards causing it to bog. Of course being such a newb, he didn't take my question seriously and told me it was a garbage intake and I should get my money back (Takeda). I took it upon myself to install the intake. I bought some tools and did it myself without issue. Then I installed an intake plenum on my own. After enjoying the car for a couple years, I got in an accident and eventually got rid of it. Flash forward to the FRS!

After reading threads on this forum for hours upon hours (and watching countless YouTube videos), I began thinking about what I wanted to do to my new FRS. I spent a few hundred dollars on tools and tens of hours working on installs since then. I started out with a catback exhaust. Simple enough. Next was an OFT and intake tube. After that, a front pipe. And finally UEL headers and an overpipe. Now we're here, trying to quiet down my screaming exhaust setup on cold starts...

TL: DR - When I see "ricer" mods, I admit I chuckle sometimes, but I'm not going to sh*t talk anyone for it. I think everyone has to find their own identity as a car enthusiast.

*****THE ROMRAIDER PART*****

If someone more experienced than me could please review my tables, it would be appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/uuPYp

I uploaded the XML from the file that came with the V2 tunes for my calid (F00D). I tried opening the V3 2+ tune I've been using, but got a checksum error and then countless errors for tables not matching. I decided not to mess with it... Then I opened the image for the Stg 2 UEL 91 tune. I didn't get any checksum errors (or any errors in general). I went through the tables and changed them per the other posts on the forum. I then opened the original image to confirm the tables that were changed. I only changed 7 tables despite there being 9 on the screen because two were already at 1200rpm for the highest value. My only concern was that the colors didn't match what people had previously posted. I'm hoping I did everything correctly and can flash this tomorrow morning and see how it sounds!
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
rt
@rayhere
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 65
Thanks: 13
Thanked 89 Times in 35 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looks fine to me. Just remember to turn off the P050B code or you'll get a check engine light.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Weigaldo
Senior Member
 
Weigaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Location: Chicago
Posts: 114
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It worked! It was so quiet it was startling. Now this has reminded me of my issue pre-V3 tune... I don't have a template for my calid that displays IAM/MAF Voltage properly. My FLKC was also at 2.14 at startup when I always see 0 on the V3. I flashed back to the V3 tune for now. I'm going to look into the errors I previously saw when trying to modify it and see what they are. Thanks again all for your help!
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Wayno
Senior Member
 
Wayno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,129
Thanks: 453
Thanked 896 Times in 424 Posts
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Looks heavy-handed to me, but that's just opinion.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Dr. BRZ
Senior Member
 
Dr. BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Location: Oklahoma City, OK.
Posts: 756
Thanks: 44
Thanked 217 Times in 149 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don’t need all of that, come on peeps. It’s simple, turn on car, reverse for 3 seconds, boom cold start gone, quiet down. EASY.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Kodename47
Senior Member
 
Kodename47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: UK GT86
Location: UK
Posts: 3,040
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Don’t need all of that, come on peeps. It’s simple, turn on car, reverse for 3 seconds, boom cold start gone, quiet down. EASY.
Or you could say that going through all that every time is more of a pain than the 2 mins it takes to adjust the tune once. I definitely appreciate mine doesn't have any real form of raised cold start despite the fact I reverse out my driveway.
__________________
.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold start JG Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 8 08-29-2015 02:55 AM
Newb question for RomRaider with Openflash efactor84 Software Tuning 16 07-17-2015 02:15 PM
Cold start rattle after header,op,fp installed by a newb aristo Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 5 10-28-2014 07:28 AM
White Smoke cold start up in Cold Weather (turbo cars) whitefrs Forced Induction 17 09-25-2013 05:05 PM
Cold Start Exhaust Volume SilentMike Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 15 04-04-2013 10:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.