follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Sean_IRL
Member
 
Sean_IRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: South Bay, California
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ProTEKt Skid Plate Install and Review

Got a set of ProTEKT skid plates for my 86 from Mitch T on here.

Great addition to my car, it's lowered on TRD springs so I had problems with scraping as you can see in the pictures. The skid plates were an easy install and took the pain out of scraping as the plates are now taking the strain and not my bumper.

Slight scraps all along the underside of the bumper:


First pick up a set of push pin pliers, I got mine for $10 from harbor freight and they made taking the pins in and out so much easier.

Take out all of the push pins and the ones with the philips head:


I left the push pins on towards the back of the plastic guard and just pulled down the front to get my hands underneath to install the bolts.

The first push pin on each side of the bumper is reused to hold on the skid plate on, so if you're looking at the car the first pin on the far left and the far right are reused. This helps align the skid plate correctly too. When I was aligning mine I followed the curves of the underside of the front bumper so everything was flush.


I used spring clamps to hold the skid plate in place while I drilled the holes. All the holes in the skid plates are countersunk so the nuts are protected from wear. Once all the holes were drilled I bolted the plate in placed and tightened the bolts. I then did the same for the center piece and other side.





Easy install and well worth it for the peace of mind I now have coming out of drive ways and parking lots. Very happy with them and wish I had them on my car much sooner.

The week after I installed these I gave my car to a valet, on returning my car to me the valet guy drove my car way too quick up a slight slope and I could hear a lot of scraping, I wasn't impressed with the valet but thankfully the scraping didn't damage my car thanks to the skid plates. Would definitely recommend.

You can pick a set up off of amazon $169.95 with free shipping.
Sean_IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
tehShirt
Senior Member
 
tehShirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 441
Thanks: 501
Thanked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks for posting!
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
MJones_RB
Senior Member
 
MJones_RB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 884
Thanks: 3,064
Thanked 551 Times in 320 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Link
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
RickyBobby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Location: Smokey Mountains
Posts: 433
Thanks: 57
Thanked 294 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There's a 6 page thread on the skid plates: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=protek

They maybe cheaper if you order them direct: http://protektskidplates.com/index.html
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #5
notout86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: GTS 86 auto
Location: Australia
Posts: 486
Thanks: 263
Thanked 127 Times in 99 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are they absolutely silent when you scrape on them? I hate being embraced when that happens.
__________________
GTS86 Auto (Australia)
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
Lonewolf
Senior Member
 
Lonewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: Moped
Location: CA
Posts: 4,300
Thanks: 4,905
Thanked 2,132 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
@mitch t
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protek Skid Plate Install whataboutbob Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 79 04-21-2017 03:01 PM
Installed My Protekt Skid Plate hapa_kcm Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 04-07-2017 03:26 PM
Always Replace Skid Plate Luftwaffel Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 10 01-27-2016 11:30 PM
Oil all over inside of Skid Plate HachiRo Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 28 12-09-2015 11:21 AM
FS: Protekt Skid Plate - BRZ harkbrz Canada Classifieds 1 12-10-2014 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.