follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
cat94

Drives: '17 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it bad to have my ankle fully extended forward when pressing the clutch?

Hi,

I've been driving a manual transmission for all of 2 weeks and have finally found a comfortable driving position. The problem is, my ankle is extended forward pretty far when fully depressing the clutch.

I've read around on correct seating positions and have found that the ankle should be still when depressing the clutch. Most videos I've seen also reflect this. Unfortunately, if I were to move the seat forward any more, I would have to bend my right ankle [over the brake/accelerator] backwards (uncomfortably) at rest. I also feel that at this position, I have the most control over the clutch pedal at the friction zone (possibly due to the high engagement point?).

I started looking into this because I noticed that sometimes when I shift, the clutch has maybe 0.5 - 1cm of travel left that I'm not using and I don't want to end up unnecessarily damaging anything.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by cat94; 11-21-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
cat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #2
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat94 View Post
Hi,

I've been driving a manual transmission for all of 2 weeks and have finally found a comfortable driving position. The problem is, my ankle is extended forward pretty far when fully depressing the clutch.

I've read around on correct seating positions and have found that the ankle should be still when depressing the clutch. Most videos I've seen also reflect this. Unfortunately, if I were to move the seat forward any more, I would have to bend my right ankle backwards (uncomfortably) at rest. I also feel that at this position, I have the most control over the clutch pedal at the friction zone (possibly due to the high engagement point?).

I started looking into this because I noticed that sometimes when I shift, the clutch has maybe 0.5 - 1cm of travel left that I'm not using and I don't want to end up unnecessarily damaging anything.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Uhm idk if it's much use to you but I rises my seat so the ball of my feel has a height leverage when depressing the clutch, this allows you to basically sit far or close. If your leg is uncomfortable you slide the seat than use the steering wheel adjuster to match how far you slide back or forward
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
cat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
Uhm idk if it's much use to you but I rises my seat so the ball of my feel has a height leverage when depressing the clutch, this allows you to basically sit far or close. If your leg is uncomfortable you slide the seat than use the steering wheel adjuster to match how far you slide back or forward
Could you elaborate on the ball of your feet having a height leverage? I usually raise the height of the seat just enough for it to comfortably support my thighs, but not enough to make it feel like I'm leaning forwards.

Also, I just went on a quick drive and found that one click forward is more comfortable for the clutch, and one click back is more comfortable for the brake and accelerator.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
turtlefeeder

Hmm how to put this..

I slide my seat forward, so when I place my left foot on the clutch without depressing it my thigh are not resting on the seat, when I depress the clutch all the way down my thigh are resting on the seat and when I don't use the clutch I rest it on the dead paddle (helps not riding the clutch) . Mean while my right foot is comfortable with both brake and gas paddle. I pulled the steering wheel outward as I lean my seat backward so I can relax and the wheel is close for maneuvering
Old 11-21-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I wouldnt leave my foot over the clutch at rest anyway so scoot up a click and put your foot on the dead pedal unless shifting.

Or if you insist go to the diy section and learn how to adjust your clutch pedal so it sits lower

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 AM   #6
turtlefeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I wouldnt leave my foot over the clutch at rest anyway so scoot up a click and put your foot on the dead pedal unless shifting.

Or if you insist go to the diy section and learn how to adjust your clutch pedal so it sits lower

Yeah that's what I basically said about the dead rest. Leaving your foot on the clutch isn't a good habit lol. Adjusting the clutch could work too but seem like a hassle. Try if you will
Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 AM   #7
cat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
Yeah that's what I basically said about the dead rest. Leaving your foot on the clutch isn't a good habit lol. Adjusting the clutch could work too but seem like a hassle. Try if you will
Sorry, I may have been a unclear. What I meant by at rest was my right foot just barely touching either the break or the accelerator pedal. My clutch movement is like how turtlefeeder described.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
However is comfortable to YOU is the right way.
humfrz (11-21-2016), jasonojordan (11-21-2016), Muaddib (11-21-2016), p1l0t (11-21-2016), Ultramaroon (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
True, but in light of the O.P.'s point that he has a grand total of two weeks' experience driving a manual transmission, the points that some of the other posters made about NOT leaving your left foot on the clutch pedal are pretty important. Set your seat so that your right foot feels good to you on the accelerator and brake pedals, you have the back support and angle you like, and good visibility, then set your steering wheel to what feels best to you with your seat set properly. A good guideline is to put the wheel so that your wrist or the very bottom of your palm rests on the top of the steering wheel with your back against the back of your seat and your arms fully extended.

Note that I didn't say anything about the clutch. Compared to the wheel and the accelerator, you use the clutch relatively little. Keep your foot off the clutch unless you're in the act of changing gears.

I don't track my car, and don't race. I'm sure competition drivers would feel more strongly about an exact placement of the clutch pedal for that extra level of comfort, but even in spirited daily driving, it's really not an issue. The original phrasing of the question makes it sound like your left foot is always touching the clutch pedal, and that's a bad idea. If your left foot is on the dead pedal (the metal resting plate to the left of the clutch, just in case you're not familiar with the term, OP) unless you're in the act of shifting, you'll be comfortable.

Welcome to the world of manual transmissions.. it's a LOT of fun, and, IMHO, gives you one more level of connection to your car.

Best,

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I agree. As long as the clutch gets fully disengaged when shifting AND your ankle feels OK ...... it don't much matter.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't press it with your hands, because then you'll have a bad day as well as the others around you
Old 11-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
cat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
True, but in light of the O.P.'s point that he has a grand total of two weeks' experience driving a manual transmission, the points that some of the other posters made about NOT leaving your left foot on the clutch pedal are pretty important. Set your seat so that your right foot feels good to you on the accelerator and brake pedals, you have the back support and angle you like, and good visibility, then set your steering wheel to what feels best to you with your seat set properly. A good guideline is to put the wheel so that your wrist or the very bottom of your palm rests on the top of the steering wheel with your back against the back of your seat and your arms fully extended.

Note that I didn't say anything about the clutch. Compared to the wheel and the accelerator, you use the clutch relatively little. Keep your foot off the clutch unless you're in the act of changing gears.

I don't track my car, and don't race. I'm sure competition drivers would feel more strongly about an exact placement of the clutch pedal for that extra level of comfort, but even in spirited daily driving, it's really not an issue. The original phrasing of the question makes it sound like your left foot is always touching the clutch pedal, and that's a bad idea. If your left foot is on the dead pedal (the metal resting plate to the left of the clutch, just in case you're not familiar with the term, OP) unless you're in the act of shifting, you'll be comfortable.

Welcome to the world of manual transmissions.. it's a LOT of fun, and, IMHO, gives you one more level of connection to your car.

Best,

Barry
Yes, I definable do not keep my foot on the clutch other than to shift. What I was concerned about is that in the position where my brake and gas are most comfortable, my ankle (not on the ground) and my leg has to extend all the way to fully press in the clutch. This leads to there occasionally being about 1 cm of travel that I am not using when changing gears without thinking.

Edit: I just looked at the original post again and read it as if my left foot was resting on the clutch when not in use heh..

Last edited by cat94; 11-21-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Additional note
Old 11-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I drive barefoot for better feels

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,615 Times in 18,979 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I drive barefoot for better feels
I'm pretty sure it's against the rules but I don't know why.

On a road trip, my shoes don't last an hour.

That includes twisties.