|
||||||
| Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 190
Thanks: 37
Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
Street tire recommendations
It’s that time again to buy tires. I’m looking for some input on what to run this season as a street tire, capable of track use and autox.
My past tires have always been geared towards competitive autox use, RE11A, Star specs, RT615s, RS3s. If I was looking for a slalom only tire, I’d be buying RE71Rs. This year, however, I’m looking for something that isn’t an autox killer tire. I won’t be racing competitively in slalom, and instead would prefer something more suitable for street use. I have Hoosier R7s to use at the track, and I won’t be shooting for top times in autox. Initially, I was pretty well set on getting Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I’m not sure these will present me with the best value though. The cost to performance ratio might not be the best. I am fairly hard on my street tires, and slide the car quite a bit. I like a tire with predictable behaviour at the limit. Not a “grip grip grip, then suddenly no grip” tire. Something in the ~ 340 treadwear area, that likes a decent bit of camber and has reasonable stiff sidewalls is what I’m looking for. I run ~ -3 fr/-2.5 rr, even on the street. The car is a Scion FRS running 245/40r17s on 17x9 Wedsport TC105s. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance ![]() Coles notes: -Need tires -Ideally cheaper than Pilot Super Sports which seem well suited to my needs -No 180-200 treadwear autox tires -Ability to hold grip without heat cycling out (lots of power on oversteer) -Stiff sidewalls for good turn-in |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 3,209
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
I have RE760s on my frs. They have a 340 treadwear (UHP), relatively stiff sidewall and found them fairly predictable even in the wet. Im not sure they would make a great track tire though. I have heard they don't like too many heat cycles.
MPSS run about 200 bucks a tire and these were about 160-170 CAD a piece for a 225/45R17. 225/45R17 compared to the OEM tire.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 190
Thanks: 37
Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
The RE760s are apparently very similar to the new Firehawk Indy 500s which are almost criminally cheap lol. Both are worth considering.
This link is a good read comparing those two against the MPSS http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...p-Michelin-PSS |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Location: Cottage Grove MN
Posts: 1,049
Thanks: 162
Thanked 511 Times in 326 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
|
I have continental DW's 245 40 17's are apx $145 a tire.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 190
Thanks: 37
Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
|
Cheapest I can find the MPSS for is $260ish a tire (in Canada). I actually have the DWs on now (they came with my used TC105ns). They're probably a few years old now, so they're a bit hard and dicey.
Thanks for the mini review D_Thissen
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 3,209
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
Toyo T1 Sport
__________________
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
|
I had a set of these sized 225/45r17 loaned to me for one autocross day last year. I found they are very comparable to the Primacies in ultimate grip but tended to break away more suddenly. If you are interested in a step up from OEM, this isn't it but I'm sure they are fine to have a bit of fun with.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | ||
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
Are you sure we're talking about the same tire? Toyo Proxes T1 Sport? It's a 240 treadwear tire, it's not even comparable to the stock tires.
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...e-summer-tires Quote:
__________________
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
Wow that is really surprising to me. I have the T1 Sport in 245/40/17 and it provides me with insane levels of mechanical grip. Sorry your experience with them was less than ideal.
I also didn't know the Primacies were a 240 tw tire, my bad.
__________________
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Time Traveller
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Location: So Cal - Orange County
Posts: 3,705
Thanks: 9,534
Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
|
@mhiscott
You're looking for exactly the same thing I was a year ago. After quite a bit of research I ended up going with BFG GeForce Sport Comp-2s (longest name ever). This has turned out to be a terrific street alternative to MPSS at a great price. Keep in mind the BFGs run WIDE at the tread. TireRack's test results are here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=192 As far as value goes, for the size you're looking for they're currently $164.00 CAD each at 1010 Tires. The same size MPSS is $230 CAD ea at 1010. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/BFGoo...t+COMP-2/55411 |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
|
I guess I should be fair as well, mine were worn WRX take offs that I was just borrowing for the event and I have no idea how they were used before I got them so it's possible they were heat cycled out. My feeling though was that they held onto grip better until they snapped loose. On the Primacies, I could feel the car start to slide a bit sooner before they totally lost grip. In the end, I felt that point you completely lost grip was very similar on both tires. Also as you mentioned, you're on 245s which are definitely going to have a grip advantage so it's hard to say really.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,746
Thanks: 131
Thanked 1,411 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
|
I ran the Hankook V-12 Evo2 last year and was quite happy with them.
I am running the Yokohama Advan V105 this year but only have one track day on them so far so I don't have a full impression yet. They are very nice on the street though pretty quiet no squirm. I switched to these because they are asymmetric so I can corner rotate the tires, and are a 240 wear compared to the Hankook which were 340. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| General C Street build recommendations | kravi | Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting | 26 | 07-05-2016 11:58 AM |
| Tire Recommendations | soulreapersteve | Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack | 28 | 08-20-2015 03:38 PM |
| tire recommendations? | jarviz | Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack | 16 | 11-29-2013 04:51 PM |
| Tire recommendations | Shenks | Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack | 22 | 09-24-2013 11:46 PM |
| Tire Recommendations | Re~Mix | Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack | 10 | 09-16-2013 11:06 PM |