follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Recommended Alignment Settings?

I'm going to be installing a set of Tein Flex Z's and SPC LCA's tomorrow, looking to lower the car 1"-1.5". Is there a range of camber/caster/toe settings that is generally recommended for a DD with occasional spirited driving? Or is the stock alignment fine? I would like to have an idea of the settings I need before I set the appointment for the alignment.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Front: -1.5 degrees / 0 toe (a little out if you want)

Rear: -1 to -1.5 degrees / 0 toe (a little in if you want)
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyler_win_photo For This Useful Post:
BFIFE22 (12-25-2015), Teseo (12-25-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:48 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,370 Times in 4,133 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
Front: -1.5 degrees / 0 toe (a little out if you want)

Rear: -1 to -1.5 degrees / 0 toe (a little in if you want)
You give this answer like there is only one setting to be had. What does "a little in/out if you want" actually mean? You haven't explained what having zero toe at the rear or toe out at the front does to the steering.

@BFIFE22
Have a read of this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...nment+settings
Alignment, like a lot of other things, is a compromise. I'm on 6k/6k springs, the same as Tein Flex Z for the triplets, and I'm running -3.2/-2.7 camber. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. I am not suggesting you go with -3.2/-2.7 camber; I'm just saying it depends.
Having 0 toe at the rear makes the rear less stable. That is, more prone to wander but it also makes the car easier to induce over-steer. I have settled on 0.3mm toe-in/side but it took 2 alignments to arrive at this figure.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
You give this answer like there is only one setting to be had. What does "a little in/out if you want" actually mean? You haven't explained what having zero toe at the rear or toe out at the front does to the steering.

@BFIFE22
Alignment, like a lot of other things, is a compromise. I'm on 6k/6k springs, the same as Tein Flex Z for the triplets, and I'm running -3.2/-2.7 camber. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. I am not suggesting you go with -3.2/-2.7 camber; I'm just saying it depends.
Having 0 toe at the rear makes the rear less stable. That is, more prone to wander but it also makes the car easier to induce over-steer. I have settled on 0.3mm toe-in/side but it took 2 alignments to arrive at this figure.
That's a pretty aggressive alignment. Are you running that on street? What kind of camber wear are you getting?
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
That's a pretty aggressive alignment. Are you running that on street? What kind of camber wear are you getting?
Probably very minimal
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,370 Times in 4,133 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Aggressive? My alignment doesn't try to pick fights lol. As for camber wear I get bugger all but as I said earlier because compromise. My alignment is biased for track use especially now I've gone back to softer (6k/6k) springs.
The OP mentions "occasional spirited driving" so there probably isn't too much need to take tires into account.
As I have tried to emphasize there is no one right answer.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-27-2015), Ultramaroon (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post

@BFIFE22
OP was asking for recommendations based on his driving style, so I gave him a recommendation.

A little toe in in the front makes the car more stable in a straight line, toe out will make the car slightly less stable in a straight line but will have quicker turn in.
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote