follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #99
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Fixed that for you. 04-07 STI rear rotors are different than the 08-12 STI rear rotors. Pretty much everyone sells the DBA dual-drilled rotors.
Yes if you have been following the thread back we were referring to the front rotors.

KNS doesn't only sell the expensive DBA rotors though. They also sell the dual drilled Centric Premiums and they also know a ton about brakes and brake setup. While one can go on Amazon or Ebay and pickup parts, those resellers on there generally know 3 things about their parts:
1- Part Number
2- Price
3- Margin

When you deal with KNS or other Authorized Resellers or installers, you get quality help even though you may pay a little more for the parts they are the folks out here giving input and helping out the community.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #100
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
So am I correct in saying that our hubs are 5x100 and the 08-12 STi hubs are 5x114, meaning that I'd have to buy new rotors anyways?
Yes.

All WRX are 5x100
All Legacies are 5x100
04 STi is 5x100
05-12 STi is 5x114
Tribecca is 5x114
BRZ is 5x100

So you would want optimally:
05-12 Front 5x100 coupled with 08-12 Rear 5x100 STi Rotors.

If the BRZ uses the same knuckles and parking brake setup as the 08+ WRX then you should be able to use 04-12 Front STi Calipers and 08-12 Rear Calipers, but since we haven't actually done this swap on a BRZ yet, I am not 100% sure on how that all will bolt up.

-Mike Paisan

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #101
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet! I just picked up a set of 09 STi brakes (calipers, lines, and rotors). So I guess I'm going to have to grab some new rotors tho.

Next question is since the caliper will bolt up to the knuckle cleanly, what rotor size can I fit given the STi calipers (both height and width)?? Thnx in advance
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #102
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
Sweet! I just picked up a set of 09 STi brakes (calipers, lines, and rotors). So I guess I'm going to have to grab some new rotors tho.

Next question is since the caliper will bolt up to the knuckle cleanly, what rotor size can I fit given the STi calipers (both height and width)?? Thnx in advance
You will want to get 05-12 STi Front Rotors which have been drilled to 5x100 and 08+ Rear STi Rotors which have been drilled to 5x100. This setup works on the 08+ WRX, but we haven't verified that it works on the BRZ in the flesh.

-Mike Paisan

Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #103
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
You will want to get 05-12 STi Front Rotors which have been drilled to 5x100 and 08+ Rear STi Rotors which have been drilled to 5x100. This setup works on the 08+ WRX, but we haven't verified that it works on the BRZ in the flesh.
A couple swaps have been done and while there really haven't been details...since the WRX went to the STI parking brake setup it's fairly reasonable to think the BRZ has the same 190mm hat (assuming they lifted the WRX suspension and used it for this platform).

Quote:
When you deal with KNS or other Authorized Resellers or installers, you get quality help even though you may pay a little more for the parts they are the folks out here giving input and helping out the community.
I exclusively buy brakes from KNS, even if it's a bit more expensive. The man's always answered my questions and is a pleasure to deal with.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #104
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
A couple swaps have been done and while there really haven't been details...since the WRX went to the STI parking brake setup it's fairly reasonable to think the BRZ has the same 190mm hat (assuming they lifted the WRX suspension and used it for this platform).

I exclusively buy brakes from KNS, even if it's a bit more expensive. The man's always answered my questions and is a pleasure to deal with.
Ken is just great. We've been good friends since about 2000 and he has never steered me or any of my customers wrong.

-Mike Paisan

Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #105
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If this is OT I'm sorry, I'll move the topic to a new thread, but I appreciate the knowledge here, you guys know a LOT more about this stuff then I do. What abooot WRX/GC 4 Pots? The ones branded with Subaru. An example-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-S...16e8e2&vxp=mtr
I feel like these (not this pair in particular, just some 4 pots) are a nice, inexpensive alternative to doing maybe fronts only? Especially if they clear the 17s, or with a small spacer clear. Rear brakes from what little I know don't do hardly anything anyhow, and are apparently rather adequate on our vehicles, so why not just do a mild upgrade to the front? I'll be honest, I am pretty crazy about the aesthetic value of some big reds. Yes, I know there's a subie emblem, but I've seen them shave before, in fact there's a pair painted black with shaved emblems on ebay right now. I just need advice on the quality of these brakes, and would it really be an upgrade? I mean for the price some sell at, seems like a sweet deal. I know a bunch of WRX guys go to STi or larger brakes and sell theirs so are also a bit more available.

Last edited by zohare; 01-12-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I'm an ADD moron and forgot to add something.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #106
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
What details do you want? I used 100% 08-12 STI parts on my swap other than the BRZ brake lines, and my parking brake works identically to how it worked on the BRZ. The hats are the same.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #107
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I wasn't specifically talking about you, good sir.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #108
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
If this is OT I'm sorry, I'll move the topic to a new thread, but I appreciate the knowledge here, you guys know a LOT more about this stuff then I do. What abooot WRX/GC 4 Pots? The ones branded with Subaru. An example-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-S...16e8e2&vxp=mtr
I feel like these (not this pair in particular, just some 4 pots) are a nice, inexpensive alternative to doing maybe fronts only? Especially if they clear the 17s, or with a small spacer clear. Rear brakes from what little I know don't do hardly anything anyhow, and are apparently rather adequate on our vehicles, so why not just do a mild upgrade to the front? I'll be honest, I am pretty crazy about the aesthetic value of some big reds. Yes, I know there's a subie emblem, but I've seen them shave before, in fact there's a pair painted black with shaved emblems on ebay right now. I just need advice on the quality of these brakes, and would it really be an upgrade? I mean for the price some sell at, seems like a sweet deal. I know a bunch of WRX guys go to STi or larger brakes and sell theirs so are also a bit more available.
The rears won't work. The fronts should work, but you have to reverse the bleeders since the BRZ has the mountings on the front side of the rotor as opposed to the rear.

Theoretically the rotors should be the same size, so you aren't gaining a whole lot in terms of surface area, but you will get better pedal feel and a wide array of pads available for the 06-07 WRX front calipers. (same as 300zx)

-Mike Paisan

The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
zohare (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #109
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The rears won't work. The fronts should work, but you have to reverse the bleeders since the BRZ has the mountings on the front side of the rotor as opposed to the rear.

Theoretically the rotors should be the same size, so you aren't gaining a whole lot in terms of surface area, but you will get better pedal feel and a wide array of pads available for the 06-07 WRX front calipers. (same as 300zx)

-Mike Paisan

Sweet man thanks a ton. Only planning on fronts. From what I gather, FR-S rotors are the same size correct? Or do I still need new rotors? I definitely like the idea of getting away from floating calipers, odd wear, etc, and getting a wider variety of pads to choose from. I love the pedal feel already, I can hardly wait if it improves XD XD XD
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #110
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
Sweet man thanks a ton. Only planning on fronts. From what I gather, FR-S rotors are the same size correct? Or do I still need new rotors? I definitely like the idea of getting away from floating calipers, odd wear, etc, and getting a wider variety of pads to choose from. I love the pedal feel already, I can hardly wait if it improves XD XD XD
In theory the rotors are the same so you won't need replacement rotors.

The only thing that concerns me is if you can reverse the bleeders on the 06-07 4-pots, I'm not 100% certain you can do that.

-Mike Paisan

Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #111
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
The 06-07 4 pots are not differentially bored so you can swap/flip and be okay.

IIRC those will shift bias rearwards a bit on their own but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I'm wrong on the bias change, the rear FHI 2 pots shift bias forward. Front FHI 4 pots have no effect on bias.

- andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 06-07-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #112
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The 06-07 4 pots are not differentially bored so you can swap/flip and be okay.

IIRC those will shift bias rearwards a bit on their own but I'm not sure.

- andrew
Very nice to know. You are always a font of great information!

-Mike Paisan

The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-13-2013)

Tags
brakes, caliper, sti, swap