follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #29
red1993sol

Drives: 2013 white BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just enjoyed the power my Sti had and looking up get around the same area with my brz. Not trying to race the car just looking to make it more enjoyable and visit has stations more
red1993sol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red1993sol For This Useful Post:
DocCola (04-30-2014), SirBrass (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 AM   #30
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
OP was talking a stage 2 (TBE and protune + supporting mods) STI, which with a good tuner can get close to or meet 300 AWHP.

So, us, probably 275 RWHP to match that. Except here's the kicker: we'll be getting power much earlier (STI's and WRX's don't make those power curves till the turbo kicks in at 8+ psi, which is 3500 rpm at the earliest), and making it longer (stock turbo WRXs and STIs have turbos which do NOT build power all the way to redline in stock configuration). So, they may have AWD capability and bigger peak, but we'll have better power to weight and area under the curve.

Just don't blow your tranny (b/c unlike STIs, our transmissions aren't darn-near bulletproof).
^^
agree, i'm at 275 on a mustang right now and I can get a 2011 sti that is stage 2 as explained once I get into third, the sti is only ahead in 1st and 2nd.

I had an 05 sti before and you're looking at the same price for a new sti once you put the turbo money into a brz, but in the end it is much more fun to drive than an STi.

also.. if you have e85 available that will be your key to the torque you loved in the STi
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
yohan04

Drives: Your sister
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
OP was talking a stage 2 (TBE and protune + supporting mods) STI, which with a good tuner can get close to or meet 300 AWHP.

So, us, probably 275 RWHP to match that. Except here's the kicker: we'll be getting power much earlier (STI's and WRX's don't make those power curves till the turbo kicks in at 8+ psi, which is 3500 rpm at the earliest), and making it longer (stock turbo WRXs and STIs have turbos which do NOT build power all the way to redline in stock configuration). So, they may have AWD capability and bigger peak, but we'll have better power to weight and area under the curve.

Just don't blow your tranny (b/c unlike STIs, our transmissions aren't darn-near bulletproof).
While I agree with most of your statement, STi will def. have upper hand in corner exit speed (AWD, tiny VF turbo and TMIC does help with a meaty mid-range). The center diff. on the sti does wonders...point and floor mid-corner ftw....esp on the street where power understeer is less stressful than driving a loose, 270+whp short wheelbase car such as the twins.

Just a pic of Cobb's OTS stage 2 graph for reference.

yohan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #32
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It needs that power to pull its heavy bulk out. The twins (which are incredibly stable, not loose) use their momentum to effectively sling themselves through corners.

Awd vs rwd is a difference in driving styles & which drive train suits which style better.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
yohan04 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #33
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I can't say i've driven a 270 rwhp twin, so I don't know how much power understeer is an issue. (Granted this is with the appropriate supporting mods and a nice square set up on the wheels/tires).

But SirBrass, myself, and yohan seem to be in an accord that 270+ is where you need to be at to keep up with a stage 2 sti.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #34
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Understeer is definitely an issue with the STI. It means your mid corner speeds have to be much lower. That's why the most popular suspension mod for a WRX or sti is a stiffer rear sway bar. It really helps fix that problem & give some real agility to the car. Stock, though? The twins would thrash it in the corner given equal power to weight.

I'd say 270 peak with a linear power band is more than enough given proper adjustment of the suspension to deal with the increased cornering forces you'll get with the stickier tires you'll need. 250 is probably adequate too.

With the twins more so than with the STI, the real key factor won't be horsepower but how well tuned the nut behind the wheel is.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote