follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With wider wheels and stickier tires you are going much faster at the limit and it can be much less safe to get there on a public road. I found that to be the case with all the suspension parts and bigger/wider wheels and tires on my own car. When I got it it was a blast and I could have the tires making noise at reasonable speeds. Then with better stuff it became a bad idea to push the car on a public road because at the limit of what the car can do I was going REALLY fast.

On the other hand, a wider, grippier tire gives you more grip in the form of a shorter braking distance and better cornering ability which is safer. In my opinion, put better tires on the car. You will have a bigger margin of safety. So what if you can't replicate the scion commercial under the speed limit.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I define fun a little differently... how about being able to get a little sideways without having to worry about damaging EXPENSIVE wheels. Sure, I love nice wheels, but if I am concerned about a little curb rash then I probably won't really be able to enjoy my car as much. My Rota's aren't the prettiest, or the lightest, or the coolest... but if I wrap one around a curb I won't cry either.

Just my two cents.
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Fun for me would mean it makes it's easier to kick out the rear at lower speeds.
Watch this video. If you want to drift the car here is your recipe. I've taken my spare out and you can make an offer

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY"]The Mercedes C63 AMG Experiment - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to digital_assassin For This Useful Post:
Neziah (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm a cone-dodger, so the fun has been greatly amplified with stickier tires. In ten hours I'll start the process of installing KWs. I wouldn't do this if it made the car less fun.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Its funny how all of you guys didn't buy into the hype that Toyota said all sports cars with sticky tires is boring. I was beginning to think all you guys were gigantic fanboys but its nice to see I was wrong.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Its funny how all of you guys didn't buy into the hype that Toyota said all sports cars with sticky tires is boring. I was beginning to think all you guys were gigantic fanboys but its nice to see I was wrong.
No worries. There are plenty of fanboys on here
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
It's fun for sure on the skinny stock tires. Feeling the car get up on it's toes and feeling the back squirming around a bit when you unload it certainly makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up.

I put on stickier tires because I don't necessarily want the hairs on the back of my neck sticking up when some fool in a giant sports SUV (think Porache Cayenne) is tailgating me on an onramp or offramp though.

In such situations light weight, grip, balance and the possibility of higher cornering speeds, taken with confidence, give me a bigger smile.

I'll be saving any explorations into the limits of adhesion for the track where there's cones or runoff areas. The higher cornering speed is also nice for that, and I still have the stock rubber as well if I just want to play.

If I had a bunch of isolated winding country lanes on my daily commute or a short drve away on the weekends I might think different but more grip works better for me on the roads I have.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote