follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
DFW-FRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
That's what I'm trtrying to figure out also....

They took my motor apart and crank case turned blue do to lack of lubrication and oil starvation.. my car had good oil level also.. no check engine lights btw..
My car had proper oil levels as well. MY CEL came on about one minute before complete failure.

I never got to see my engine in person either
DFW-FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW-FRS View Post
Car was somehow starved for oil and spun a rod bearing. The techs blamed it on my old 2012 factory tune. Apparently there was an ECU update that I never received.
I say the Techs are full of shit.
The Tune can in no way affect the oil pressure in the system (that I can think of).

The only exception would be a bug in the VVT AND a flaw in the system that would allow oil pressure to drop if the VVT was commanded to change position continuously (failed cam position sensor?)
Maybe (I doubt it) the VVT system can reduce pressure in the rest of the system if not commanded properly?

Now I'd like to see a detailed diagram of ll of the oil passages in this engine.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Bobblehead (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #17
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
The Tune can in no way affect the oil pressure in the system (that I can think of).

The only exception would be a bug in the VVT AND a flaw in the system that would allow oil pressure to drop if the VVT was commanded to change position continuously (failed cam position sensor?)
Maybe (I doubt it) the VVT system can reduce pressure in the rest of the system if not commanded properly?

Now I'd like to see a detailed diagram of ll of the oil passages in this engine.
I'm with you on this one. The tune shouldn't have anything to do with how much oil the crank bearings get. Something else had to have been at fault, methinks factory error.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
so on mine, rod 4 bearing spun due to lack of lubrication and oil starvation, but i have no oil leaks/no cel/good oil with 1179 miles on a changed oil..bone stock

this is what im trying to figure out...
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW-FRS View Post
I've had my FRS since July of 2013 and after 25,000 miles the rods started knocking and we discovered a spun rod bearing. The Toyota dealership said "they've never seen anything like it" lol. Anyways, I only had a K&N air filter and a cat back exhaust, which had nothing to do with the warranty. They agreed to replace my entire short block for free, updated my ECU, and put me in a 2015 Corolla S, which must have stood for "shit" because that thing has no business being called sporty. Not sure how I feel about my FRS now, but I've already broken in the new block with about 1,500 miles. If I wanted to blow up a boxer engine I would have gotten a WRX, but I digress.

Link to service receipt: http://i.imgur.com/R9kx0OW.jpg
What did your knocking sound like? My engine is knocking as well.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #20
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stock Motor is Toast (Spun Rod Bearing)

So to the guys who are experiencing or have experienced this noise, can you tell me if this is the same sound in my videos? For me it's been happening for about 8 months.

https://copy.com/qBQ0lSeoas9OFGSu
https://copy.com/JqSNPV1iHHENEg9Y
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #21
DFW-FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
So to the guys who are experiencing or have experienced this noise, can you tell me if this is the same sound in my videos? For me it's been happening for about 8 months.

https://copy.com/qBQ0lSeoas9OFGSu
https://copy.com/JqSNPV1iHHENEg9Y
That's exactly what mine began to sound like in the beginning before it got even worse. Although mine rattled, knocked, and blew all at the same time within five miles of highway driving. Not sure how it's lasted 8 months.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #22
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
you have knock.. on what engine/tune setup?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #23
DFW-FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoOgdMqUoQ"]subaru rod knock - YouTube[/ame]

Exactly like this guy's STI. You'll hear it at the 24 second mark.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #24
DFW-FRS

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'm with you on this one. The tune shouldn't have anything to do with how much oil the crank bearings get. Something else had to have been at fault, methinks factory error.
I will admit I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but I had a feeling the service writer was bullshitting me. I forgot to mention that when they replaced my engine, an o-ring was pinched somewhere and caused it to leak oil. I got home and parked the car and the next day I woke up to this: http://imgur.com/Zgkp8HL

It lost about a quart total from the drive home.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd like to see that too. I saw video of two guys from Australia discussing our engines and they said that if the Cams go out of sync, this can lead to oil starvation and ultimately failure of the engine. I am trying to understand how a Cam malfunction can reduced oil flow.

Anyone know?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For anyone who's curious about how AVCS works, here's an article from Subaru. I'm under the impression that the oil system would be properly sized to handle continuous camshaft timing changes without incessantly reducing oil pressure. But in any case, a properly functioning AVCS system only should use oil when adjusting timing from what I understand.

On another note, that crankshaft doesn't look messed up on first glance... The crank case doesn't blue since it's aluminum unless you meant the crankshaft, but the bluing you see on the counterweights is from the heat treating process. Cranks generally look like that. Scoring on the bearing journals is the sure sign of a spun bearing but the picture doesn't immediately show it. Hmm.
Lonewolf (02-01-2015), marky (02-02-2015), stugray (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #27
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I saw video of two guys from Australia discussing our engines and they said that if the Cams go out of sync, this can lead to oil starvation and ultimately failure of the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post
I'm under the impression that the oil system would be properly sized to handle continuous camshaft timing changes without incessantly reducing oil pressure. But in any case, a properly functioning AVCS system only should use oil when adjusting timing from what I understand.
Now that you get me thinking, I wonder if either a failed cam position sensor, or a bug in the software could cause continuous commanding of cam position?
The most basic code would say:
If cam_position_sensor_phase < commanded_phase then command_more_phase

If the cam position sensor stopped responding (or the cam got stuck), then it would just open that valve to command more phase and leave it open because the cam never reaches the target position.

I dont know if they have fault protection that would cover that case, but it is interesting.

On a related note, I know of two rockets that were lost because the system ended up using more hydraulic than expected.
On one of them one of the control system parameters was off by a bit (Delta-III).
The most recent was SpaceX's attempt to land on that barge.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #28
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Now that you get me thinking, I wonder if either a failed cam position sensor, or a bug in the software could cause continuous commanding of cam position?
The most basic code would say:
If cam_position_sensor_phase < commanded_phase then command_more_phase

If the cam position sensor stopped responding (or the cam got stuck), then it would just open that valve to command more phase and leave it open because the cam never reaches the target position.

I dont know if they have fault protection that would cover that case, but it is interesting.

On a related note, I know of two rockets that were lost because the system ended up using more hydraulic than expected.
On one of them one of the control system parameters was off by a bit (Delta-III).
The most recent was SpaceX's attempt to land on that barge.

Yes, they were saying something like that..... the cam would stay advanced when it shouldn't, causing oil starvation in the rest of the engine.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote