follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone's grumpy.

I can assure you my exhaust system will not be quiet. That's what happens when the stock header is removed for aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
If you want quiet, go drive a Camry.
JoeBoxer (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #44
tisb0b

Drives: Grey GT86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you want quiet, go drive a Camry.
Is it wrong to want a nice sounding exhaust system that offers some decent performance gains over stock without making your car sound like a loud riced up POS?
tisb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tisb0b For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (04-23-2013), Mr Franky (04-23-2013), ngabdala (04-23-2013), transition (03-27-2014)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #45
Mr Franky

Drives: Vehicle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisb0b View Post
Is it wrong to want a nice sounding exhaust system that offers some decent performance gains over stock without making your car sound like a loud riced up POS?
Thank you tisbob. Living in Australia you would understand why someone would want something that doesn't sound like an Excel with a 3' cannon.

I personally enjoy the sound of the engine over exhaust. But to get more power, the exhaust is one of the first places to start, and with every manufacturer making something a lot louder than stock, buying aftermarket is quite difficult.

My favourite sound produced by a production car is from a 911. Mainly because it is so natural. If a manufacturer can come close to that, TAKE MY MONEY!
Mr Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Franky For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #46
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Your statement about proper inspection by a good QA department is absolutely correct - unfortunately I haven't seen many companies who do overseas exhaust procurement that have gnats-ass level QA requirements..........

Glad to read cold hard facts, thanks Jason!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #47
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
wall of text of awesome information
Alot of information I didn't know, and duly thank you for, but those systems you mentioned are not fully automated. It's been about 8 months now since "we" bought our new fanuc fully automated welder, mind you it's for R&D purposes but with it I can have a great idea, blue print it, choose the steel I want, upload it to the server and it will be waiting for me in the morning at work, it uses ultrasonic, X-ray, and photo sensors to choose the pipe/bar/(whatever the hollow square tubes are called) from the correct bin (each type of metal has its own bin) cuts it to my desired length/bend then uses its sensors to make the proper weld, it almost looks like a human weld except its perfectly straight, with out deviation, that machine is about 50' long but that's because of all the room need for the multiple arms, it's limitation is it can't weld stock greater then 1/2 inch, it can tact larger but can not flow it. Also only 5 pieces can be joined at once, if more it makes the time for completion exponential. I love the system, and I'm sure it cost the company a small fortune, but like I said earlier, we were having to many Ah Ha! Moments at night then the entire next day was spent on creation, our awesome welder kept his job, he does the NDT testing and maintenece on the machine, which it does require alot of.

The reason for all the words above are simple, the capability is out there now it's just a mater of time before it becomes affordable to the random garage owner.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisb0b View Post
Keep dreaming You will get less than 5 hp and 5 foot/lbs of torque gains. Then you will want to put 18x9 wheels that will look great but weigh more than stock wheels and you will find out that the car is actually slower than with the stock exhaust and wheels.
You guys might think i'm an A hole but I've owned the car since June. I bought the Greddy Evo3 and the Greddy Intake last September and got 16hp and 16 foot/lbs gains without changing the header. It might be loud for some but it is a deep throaty exhaust note which I like. I can hear the car over over the stereo. The car sounds like a real sportscar now and not like a Camry or Corolla. I also bought the Enkei 17x7.5 Fujin Wheels and shaved off 3lbs of wheel weight per rim and that also helped with the performance greatly.
If you want quiet, stick with the stock exhaust. The gains you get from a quiet exhaust is just a waste of money IMO. This car needs every gain it can get, so if loudness is a byproduct from real gains from an exhaust, so be it and enjoy the vroom vroom. At least it sounds like a real sportscar.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #49
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Someone's grumpy.

I can assure you my exhaust system will not be quiet. That's what happens when the stock header is removed for aftermarket.
I'm not grumpy. I just think who ever wants a quiet exhaust for a sportscar is a joke. Go drive a Prius, wimps!
Good luck on your header! I might get one after the warranty expires. Right now, I'm just digging my Greddy Evo3 exhaust and Greddy intake.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #50
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
is Nameless exhaust quiet too????
With the Helmholtz resonator, yes. It's very quiet at cruising speeds.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #51
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Your statement about proper inspection by a good QA department is absolutely correct - unfortunately I haven't seen many companies who do overseas exhaust procurement that have gnats-ass level QA requirements. Do you tell your customers that their back ordered parts just came in and failed QA because of some little nickel and dime issue that may result in failure and will certainly result in you eating an entire shipment of products or do you just ship the parts out and deal with the collateral damage down the line when the parts eventually fail? It's almost always the latter.

That being said, the fallacy of 'robotic welds' vs. hand welded by skilled craftsmen is that 99% of aftermarket overseas produced exhausts are not robotically welded. They are welded on an auto-tig which is basically a sewing machine for tig welding that requires the operator to rotate the tacked parts by hand aligning the seam with the arc/wire feed. In order to accommodate the imperfections in fitment between part a and b, the settings are cranked up to a high amperage with high wire feed which results in a weld convolution that has a crater in the middle of every single one of the 'dimes' in the weld. In order to make those craters go away and reduce stress risers/leak points in the welds, the speed that the operator rotates the part through the welder has to be very consistent in order to ensure that the next 'dime' in the stack fully overlaps the crater in the prior pulse in the weld convolution. If you look at overseas produced welds, you can usually spot 10-50 areas in a single exhaust where the part was rotated too fast and the crater in the middle of the weld convolution is exposed.

So even in semi-automated overseas TIG welding, you're going to get a reduction in quality and potential for weld failure. Additionally, often times the parts are MIG welded with mild steel wire prior to TIG welding over the tacks using 308 filler wire. Run a magnet along a weld seam from an overseas part and there's a very good chance that it'll stick to every spot where the parts were tacked. The other 'trick' that a lot of these companies employ is to mig weld the entire exhaust, then polish it, and then simply go over the welds with the auto-tig in order to make the welds 'look' like a tig welded joint. This effectively doubles the impact of heating/cooling the part and is one of the other reasons why overseas exhausts often do not fit the vehicle properly.

I've seen a lot of this, worked for companies who do work overseas and I've visited a number of factories where this type of exhaust construction work is done. And I'd never employ that technology again. That is exactly why our systems are hand welded entirely. Our guys don't give a shit if it's 4:30PM on Friday either. They take pride in their work and do a spot on job every time.

And if and when you ever have an issue with our parts, the value-add of a dedicated customer support team and commitment to our customers results in the best solution whether you've had the system for 3 minutes or 3 years.

Last point: I have NEVER seen any manufactured parts made in the USA get polished before TIG welding unless we're talking about fabricated Sched 40 exhaust manifolds. And yet, every overseas exhaust is made exactly that way. If you see shiny and TIG welds, don't believe the Made in USA hype.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason
Jason, will you marry me?

(Before you say yes I do have one condition..... free header!)
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chewie4299 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #52
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Keep dreaming You will get less than 5 hp and 5 foot/lbs of torque gains. Then you will want to put 18x9 wheels that will look great but weigh more than stock wheels and you will find out that the car is actually slower than with the stock exhaust and wheels.
You guys might think i'm an A hole but I've owned the car since June. I bought the Greddy Evo3 and the Greddy Intake last September and got 16hp and 16 foot/lbs gains without changing the header. It might be loud for some but it is a deep throaty exhaust note which I like. I can hear the car over over the stereo. The car sounds like a real sportscar now and not like a Camry or Corolla. I also bought the Enkei 17x7.5 Fujin Wheels and shaved off 3lbs of wheel weight per rim and that also helped with the performance greatly.
If you want quiet, stick with the stock exhaust. The gains you get from a quiet exhaust is just a waste of money IMO. This car needs every gain it can get, so if loudness is a byproduct from real gains from an exhaust, so be it and enjoy the vroom vroom. At least it sounds like a real sportscar.
I disagree with you.

Not everyone needs to min-max with their mods. I want to increase my cars performance, sounds, looks, comfort, etc. If I can buy a subtle sounding exhaust that still roars a bit when I step on it and gain 4-5hp or buy a different exhaust that gains me 8-9 hp but sounds like a riced out Civic with a raspy fart can guess which one I want to go with.

I bought the Perrin resonated catback. No, it doesn't save any weight over stock. Yes, they have great reputation, customer service, product quality, etc. No, it doesn't gain 10 hp. Yes, I am happy with it.

Performance is my primary concern but my buying decisions are still effected by my secondary and tertiary concerns as well. There are tons of folks on here with the same mentality. Otherwise, why is it that there are about 300 exhausts selling out there and not just the 'best' one? Because 'best' is subjective and everyone's own preferences matter.

I will track my car but I also love driving it all the time. I want it to be comfortable. As I said before, I'd rather have 260 WHP after all is said and done (we're never done, are we...} and have a car that looks good, is a pleasure to drive, and won't fall apart than have 300 WHP and a rough, raspy, droney, tiring, rusty piece of shit.

I might even add a 10" sub to my trunk. "BUT ZOMG WEIGHT SAVINGSZZSZ!!!"

Oh, wait, I can remove it for a track day.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chewie4299 For This Useful Post:
aceangel (04-24-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #53
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why am I sitting here online when I could be out driving ? See you guys later