follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
GC86

Drives: Ft86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post

What do you recommend?

Try rotating the tires. It is simple, free, and you would be surprised how much of a pattern your tires could have adopted in a short while.

Ground Control
GC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
Unequal toe in on the front wheels isn't really important. It will just result in the steering wheel being off centre when driving in a straight line.
umm... no.

unequal toe also affects how a car behaves in a turn, and how it turns. Toe is not static throughout a vehicles steering arc.

Unequal toe also affects how a car behaves when it hits a bump. As these are cars with a steering rack, unequal toe results from the tie rods being unequal length, which will result in slightly different bump steer (yes the car has bump steer, and no, you can not ever get rid of it) characteristics. Though honestly the change will likely be so subtle not many would even notice it.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Accathla

Drives: WRB Pearl BRZ
I just posted in the BRZ section about the steering feeling loose and wondering if thats normal after some break-in. But reading your description it does sound like a floating feeling. The steering just moves so much easier then before. One week everything was great the next I was wondering what is with my steering.

I do a good 30-40minute drive on the turnpike every day to work. Straight line going 80 and constantly feel like i'am adjusting for movement the car is doing like it was windy outside pushing the car around a little. The resistance the steering had the last couple months just disappeared. Even shifting just casually was no issue before sometimes will pull the car to one side now.

I've owned the Car since August 1st and has 3200 miles on it. All stock car and just had to put air in the tires today my back driver side tire was very low while the rest were fine.
Accathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #18
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accathla View Post
I just posted in the BRZ section about the steering feeling loose and wondering if thats normal after some break-in. But reading your description it does sound like a floating feeling. The steering just moves so much easier then before. One week everything was great the next I was wondering what is with my steering.

I do a good 30-40minute drive on the turnpike every day to work. Straight line going 80 and constantly feel like i'am adjusting for movement the car is doing like it was windy outside pushing the car around a little. The resistance the steering had the last couple months just disappeared. Even shifting just casually was no issue before sometimes will pull the car to one side now.

I've owned the Car since August 1st and has 3200 miles on it. All stock car and just had to put air in the tires today my back driver side tire was very low while the rest were fine.
This guy knows how I feel!!!

That is perfect to what it is like. :S
JMon85 (05-11-2017)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
IMO everyone should get the OEM camber bolts and have the car aligned once they get the car. Makes a huge difference and those bolts are dirt cheap. I don't trust factory alignments anyway.

I'm not convinced that's the problem here though...I think the FR-S is just really soft up front and the chassis moves around a bit. Super soft springs and squishy bushings.

- Andrew
Do you feel that the stock BRZ front springs are much more stable? What do you think about just swapping the front FR-S springs with the BRZ's?

And do you have the part number for that camber bolt again? Is it actually recommended by Subaru to use for that reason? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Do you feel that the stock BRZ front springs are much more stable? What do you think about just swapping the front FR-S springs with the BRZ's?

And do you have the part number for that camber bolt again? Is it actually recommended by Subaru to use for that reason? Thanks.
Yes, I think the BRZ front springs are better. But I think our RCE Yellows springs with included shortened bumpstops are better still. But yes I prefer the BRZ feel to the FR-S....it's just too soft up front, too much movement and you roll onto the bumpstops easily.

I'm at home (thanks hurricane sandy) so I don't have the part number for the OEM camber bolts but it's posted somewhere on the forums. We can get them for you if you need them and can bundle them with our RCE springs. I'm honestly not sure why Subaru/Scion didn't make them standard. There really aren't any drawbacks to them.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (10-30-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
I have noticed that my steering is getting a lot loser.

As I can move the wheel <---&---> more before i can feel turn in... how do i fix this!?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
It could be tires, or alignment, or loose parts. My bet would be the alignment.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEnd For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (11-02-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
Tunz

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Tunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dump Prius tires
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accathla View Post

Funny that you wrote this, as I was just logging on to try to explain this exact same feeling (mostly while driving in a straight line, and at freeway speeds). Kind of like the rear is planted, but the front not so much, and a VERY similar feeling to other cars I've owned moving around, but that would be on a windy day.

Strange feeling that maybe I'll get used to, but reading all the reviews about how balanced the car is, and planted, I was beginning to think something was wrong.

I've also got the little bit of play in the steering wheel before the car actually moves left to right (as in I can do a little left right left right jerk to the steering wheel a few degrees, and the car will stay straight).

Strange indeed.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
JPM Coachworks

Drives: Honda S2000, Subaru STI
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JPM Coachworks
Problem with the steering rack bushing perhaps?
JPM Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=Burrcold;570103
I've also got the little bit of play in the steering wheel before the car actually moves left to right (as in I can do a little left right left right jerk to the steering wheel a few degrees, and the car will stay straight).
[/QUOTE]

Why are you jerking the wheel left to right?

Think about that real hard then realize that it's a good thing that the car is compensating for your silliness by not actually doing what you want to do.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
86•BRZ

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Why are you jerking the wheel left to right?

Think about that real hard then realize that it's a good thing that the car is compensating for your silliness by not actually doing what you want to do.
the steering is electrically power assisted, it is not steer by wire, if you move the steering wheel, the wheels should move too! the car doesn't "compensate"
86•BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote