follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else experienced an oil change ordeal?

I went back to my Scion dealer yesterday to get my first oil change. When the technician did the pre delivery inspection they put the oil change reminder sticker in the upper corner of the windshield for 3 months or 3500 miles. I had 3420 miles on my car so it was time for a oil change.

I drive up and request a oil change and the service writer asking how many miles are on the car so I tell him. He informs me it has synthetic oil in it and it does not need an oil change until it has 10,000 miles and for me to come back later. I then show him the oil change sticker and he restates it does not need an oil change until 10,000 miles. I tell him I believe the PDI technician probability has some training with the Subaru boxer engine and I wanted to follow his advice for the first oil change. The service writer then tells me he has been doing this job for 12 years and he knows about synthetic oil changes. I told it I still wanted a oil change and to stop being so difficult. He finally agreed.

They pull my car into the oil change booth with me standing outside keeping my car in plain view. He then comes over to me and says sorry but you will have to come back later because we do not have any oil filters down in the pit to fit the FR-S. I tell him I was afraid I would hear that but I had called the parts department yesterday and they verified to me they have 4 FR-S filters in stock. He walks over there to get one.

He brings a oil filter back and another technician is in tow. He tells me this is the first FR-S they have changed oil in and they have to take my car around back to do it. I did not want my car out of sight so I ask him why. He tells me it takes a special tool to remove the oil filter. I ask him what that special tool is because I to will change my own oil in the future. He claims he does not know. I tell him the oil filter location and we walk over to my car and I point it out to him. I ask him a second time about the special tool and reach over and remove the filter with my bare hand and hand it to him. He then tells the technician to just change the mans oil right here.

After they finish and the service writer gives me my oil change receipt he tells me the Scion Boost program only has 2 oil changes....one a 10,000 miles and the other at 20,000 miles and I now only have one free oil change left. After he had beat me down so I did not even respond.

Sorry for the rant but no one should go through this ordeal for a simple oil change.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would never go there again, what a complete retard. If a customer asks for an oil change, just do it then?! And the special tool, maybe he's just very weak....
I love how you already called the parts departement and checked.
Though I don't got a sticker saying change oil after 3months. Toyota dealer (in sweden) told me that i'll just come in when it's 1year or 10,000 miles.
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (11-02-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
With such crappy service I would try to find another dealer. Special tool for the filter? Doesn't even check the inventory for a filter? He's either an idiot and/or too lazy to work.

Check out this thread about the Scion Boost program: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9187

Looks like you get at least 3 services, not 2.
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I know the service writer was incompentent. I had a letter from Scion with me in my car that stated the Service Boost is good EVERY 5,000 miles or 6 months for:

1. inspect and adjust all fluid levels
2. replace engine oil and oil filter
3. rotate tires
4. multi-point vehicle inspection
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post
I went back to my Scion dealer yesterday to get my first oil change. When the technician did the pre delivery inspection they put the oil change reminder sticker in the upper corner of the windshield for 3 months or 3500 miles. I had 3420 miles on my car so it was time for a oil change.

I drive up and request a oil change and the service writer asking how many miles are on the car so I tell him. He informs me it has synthetic oil in it and it does not need an oil change until it has 10,000 miles and for me to come back later. I then show him the oil change sticker and he restates it does not need an oil change until 10,000 miles. I tell him I believe the PDI technician probability has some training with the Subaru boxer engine and I wanted to follow his advice for the first oil change. The service writer then tells me he has been doing this job for 12 years and he knows about synthetic oil changes. I told it I still wanted a oil change and to stop being so difficult. He finally agreed.

They pull my car into the oil change booth with me standing outside keeping my car in plain view. He then comes over to me and says sorry but you will have to come back later because we do not have any oil filters down in the pit to fit the FR-S. I tell him I was afraid I would hear that but I had called the parts department yesterday and they verified to me they have 4 FR-S filters in stock. He walks over there to get one.

He brings a oil filter back and another technician is in tow. He tells me this is the first FR-S they have changed oil in and they have to take my car around back to do it. I did not want my car out of sight so I ask him why. He tells me it takes a special tool to remove the oil filter. I ask him what that special tool is because I to will change my own oil in the future. He claims he does not know. I tell him the oil filter location and we walk over to my car and I point it out to him. I ask him a second time about the special tool and reach over and remove the filter with my bare hand and hand it to him. He then tells the technician to just change the mans oil right here.

After they finish and the service writer gives me my oil change receipt he tells me the Scion Boost program only has 2 oil changes....one a 10,000 miles and the other at 20,000 miles and I now only have one free oil change left. After he had beat me down so I did not even respond.

Sorry for the rant but no one should go through this ordeal for a simple oil change.
this is no (b.s.) right? i am not doubting your word,because why would you lie about something like this!.(w.t.f!) this is beyond words! report these clowns to corporate,and let the "man" come down on them! geeeeez!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Maybe you were the special tool they were looking for to remove the oil filter.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ft86Fan For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (02-07-2013), brz7400 (09-23-2012), canu_50 (11-02-2012), dhuang (08-04-2014), Flat Black VW (09-23-2012), FRSPirate (11-02-2012), GMT (11-06-2012), jmaryt (11-04-2012), LeeMaster (11-02-2012), Mochikomi (11-02-2012), Rawhyde (09-23-2012), Rayme (11-02-2012), russv (11-04-2012), ShoShin (12-06-2012), soconfoozed (11-02-2012), SPEEDGOD (11-06-2012), stanm (09-24-2012), Subie (11-04-2012), Turbowned (11-04-2012), whataboutbob (11-02-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
you are lucky they even did it... i was told 7500 and they wont do it until then. the dealer im dealing with now is really bad. so far they have scratched my paint, chipped the paint, killed my high beams(do not work), i had a service guy shout at me in the lobby in front of about 10 other customers and they drilled into my bumper and lied to me saying its mandatory yet a dealer 1 city away does not do it.

headquarters is taking care of me now. i will h ave to take it back to this dealership 1 more time to have the new ECU put it. while its there they are sending a corporate guy to the dealer to look at my car about the chirp. after that i will be driving 2 city's away to have my car serviced cause this place is really really bad.
travace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I would have told them to keep their filter. Better to pay $50 out of pocket than let those monkeys handle your car. Since they wanted to "pull it around back" to use a "special tool" they were probably going to joyride it. Since NO filter requires an in-place removal system, there's no reason to move the car. The only reason to move the car is to take it out of your sight.

Which dealership is this? That way other members in the area will know to stay FAR away from these monkeys.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I would have told them to keep their filter. Better to pay $50 out of pocket than let those monkeys handle your car. Since they wanted to "pull it around back" to use a "special tool" they were probably going to joyride it. Since NO filter requires an in-place removal system, there's no reason to move the car. The only reason to move the car is to take it out of your sight.

Which dealership is this? That way other members in the area will know to stay FAR away from these monkeys.
Or take it out of your sight, bring it back, and pretend they did an oil change.
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kwood9000 For This Useful Post:
blu_ (11-02-2012), czar07 (09-23-2012), Ingen (11-02-2012), terrypm (09-24-2012), whataboutbob (11-02-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwood9000 View Post
Or take it out of your sight, bring it back, and pretend they did an oil change.
This is why you should always discreetly mark your oil filter if you let someone else change it. Though on our cars it's so easy to change the filter they can spin a new one on and leave out the expensive oil.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This was a painful story to read. Sometimes people are impossible. I'm glad i do all my own oil changes.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Maybe you were the special tool they were looking for to remove the oil filter.
ehe! he! he! i was thinkin' the same! better be careful with these sh*tbags!
sounds like they wanted to "take it around back" so they could load it onto a "lowboy" and drive it somewhere to "cut it up!"..just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by travace View Post
you are lucky they even did it... i was told 7500 and they wont do it until then. the dealer im dealing with now is really bad. so far they have scratched my paint, chipped the paint, killed my high beams(do not work), i had a service guy shout at me in the lobby in front of about 10 other customers and they drilled into my bumper and lied to me saying its mandatory yet a dealer 1 city away does not do it.

headquarters is taking care of me now. i will h ave to take it back to this dealership 1 more time to have the new ECU put it. while its there they are sending a corporate guy to the dealer to look at my car about the chirp. after that i will be driving 2 city's away to have my car serviced cause this place is really really bad.
with the grief you took,can't help but wonder if scion makes 'em wait for the
money when they submit the service work!,either that,or they are just a**holes!,period!

Quote:
This is why you should always discreetly mark your oil filter if you let someone else change it. Though on our cars it's so easy to change the filter they can spin a new one on and leave out the expensive oil.
very true! the filter is very easy to take off,and if you go on "blind trust" that they have in fact changed the oil,then you will never check it anyway!..excellent point!

Quote:

car may have been bound for a ''chop shop" how can you really know what these people are thinking?

for sure! f**kin' place sounds like it's run by the "mafia!"
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
NeedsmoreCowbell
toyotas are practical :)

Drives: Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's up on the Toyota care? So is it every 5000 or 7500 miles? They told me the later... Just like you I had a sticker that said one mileage while the service tech said another...
NeedsmoreCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
This was a painful story to read. Sometimes people are impossible. I'm glad i do all my own oil changes.
am i hearin' this right? a beautiful woman like you changin'
your own oil? hmmm! well it IS very easy to do! that's for sure!
good on you,but i will wait before i do that,as i have an excellent,
''first class" dealer i bought from,so they will get it until the free services
are gone!
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (09-23-2012)