follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #477
86'ing

Drives: Raven 6-MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
865 miles scion frs raven got engine light as well

hey similar issue i was on the freeway then caem to a city stop! went to nuetrual all of a sudden car started shaking violetaly, before hand i did smell a certain burning smell didnt think of it much, now my engine light is on and slip light as well. just call the dealership to come get a tow truck to get it simply cuz im afraid of driving it. WORST FEELING EVER, my brand new baby alreadey sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
86'ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #478
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'ing View Post
hey similar issue i was on the freeway then caem to a city stop! went to nuetrual all of a sudden car started shaking violetaly, before hand i did smell a certain burning smell didnt think of it much, now my engine light is on and slip light as well. just call the dealership to come get a tow truck to get it simply cuz im afraid of driving it. WORST FEELING EVER, my brand new baby alreadey sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interestingly I had exactly the same burning smell (almost a burning oil/rubber smell) just minutes before my CEL came on. Now I'm convinced I wasn't imagining it. Items that were replaced on my car included the oil control valves, the cam sprocket assy, the ecu, and surprisingly the oil. Now I'm wondering if the dealer noticed chips or damage that warranted an oil change...or is it just standard practice for this type of repair.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #479
86'ing

Garage
thank god i wasnt the only one to smell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
Interestingly I had exactly the same burning smell (almost a burning oil/rubber smell) just minutes before my CEL came on. Now I'm convinced I wasn't imagining it. Items that were replaced on my car included the oil control valves, the cam sprocket assy, the ecu, and surprisingly the oil. Now I'm wondering if the dealer noticed chips or damage that warranted an oil change...or is it just standard practice for this type of repair.
yeah, i did hear like a thump and then the smell came but it was super faint, nothing that alarmed me at first, but now that i think about it the oil change could help and prolly the same type of repairs u got, whats the status on ur car now it was fixed? and how is it running? and how did it take for it to get fix? lol btw im stuck in a toyota matrix.......as a loaner FML!~
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #480
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'ing View Post
yeah, i did hear like a thump and then the smell came but it was super faint, nothing that alarmed me at first, but now that i think about it the oil change could help and prolly the same type of repairs u got, whats the status on ur car now it was fixed? and how is it running? and how did it take for it to get fix? lol btw im stuck in a toyota matrix.......as a loaner FML!~
Car is repaired for now and runs fine, but I've only put about 70 miles on it since then. I got it back after 15 agonizing days in the shop.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #481
86'ing

Garage
Quote:
Car is repaired for now and runs fine, but I've only put about 70 miles on it since then. I got it back after 15 agonizing days in the shop.
yeah, tbh i only had 878 miles on my car til thuis crap happened, shitty thing is i had my turbo kit from greddy on preorder, now after this idk if its worth getting it and losing my 5 year warranty, plus the new vertex body kit i was planning on putting over 7 thousand on this car and make it a performance car i use to drive a 2010 porche but i sold it to get this one to trick it out, i love the drifting feel and heritage sense of this car. justr funny i went from porche to frs to lol matrix hahahah, after the weekend though ill be driving a better car from enterprise gonna get a camaro lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #482
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm in a Yaris... quit yer bitchin.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #483
86'ing

Garage
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAh i feel much better about driving in my bright red MATRIX lol
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #484
Shizzaw

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
UPDATE: I got my car back. So far I've put another 100 miles on her and no CEL. So far so good. Now to see how Scion will compensate me. I will update again when I hear from them.
Shizzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shizzaw For This Useful Post:
Mr.Roboto (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #485
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
To replace the vvti gears they have to remove the entire front of the engine so the oil change just kinda goes with it. They did it on mine too. Kinda sad but they had to get in there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #486
Mr.Roboto

Drives: White-Out FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzaw View Post
UPDATE: I got my car back. So far I've put another 100 miles on her and no CEL. So far so good. Now to see how Scion will compensate me. I will update again when I hear from them.
Please do update us because our Scion customer care dude is really a pompous *€£....let's see what they will do because honestly if we wanted to buy a car to send it straight back to the dealer as soon as we drove it off the lot ....we wouldn't have bought a TOYOTA/SCION! We are almost so afraid to take it on a trip because we don't really have trust in our baby anymore since she has been taking apart since day 1
Mr.Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Roboto For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #487
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
The chirp is not a defect, it's a normal operational noise when using ethanol/methanol fuels. Does not affect operation or longevity...can't fix what isn't broken...
I reject this explanation for reasons I've already explained. Whether or not the noise reflects normal operation is just utterly irrelevant. The problem isn't that the car does make a noise, the problem is that the car began making a noise, and in this way, I was willfully misled as a consumer. Period. A big part of the reason one buys a car like the twins is for what it sounds like, and had the cricket sound been present on the lot, I could have made a conscious choice: yes, I accept this noise, or no, this is ridiculous, I'm going down the street to buy $OTHER_CAR. When I fired up my BRZ for my test drive, before signing the papers, the sound was beautiful...and so it remained, for the first 2,500 miles. Now it sounds like it's slipping a belt. My brand new car sounds like it's broken, all the time.

This may be normal operation, but that doesn't make it okay, much less honest business practice.
eurospeed (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #488
86'ing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
I reject this explanation for reasons I've already explained. Whether or not the noise reflects normal operation is just utterly irrelevant. The problem isn't that the car does make a noise, the problem is that the car began making a noise, and in this way, I was willfully misled as a consumer. Period. A big part of the reason one buys a car like the twins is for what it sounds like, and had the cricket sound been present on the lot, I could have made a conscious choice: yes, I accept this noise, or no, this is ridiculous, I'm going down the street to buy $OTHER_CAR. When I fired up my BRZ for my test drive, before signing the papers, the sound was beautiful...and so it remained, for the first 2,500 miles. Now it sounds like it's slipping a belt. My brand new car sounds like it's broken, all the time.

This may be normal operation, but that doesn't make it okay, much less honest business practice.
i can understand your point and tbh from what the dealer has told me it seems to be a fuel pump issue, so as of right now i have the CEL, the buzzing noise from the rear, Mr. cricket going off, and not to add they have a we owe ticket open for my paint job, all this at only 876 miles and i owe my first car note on the 18th of this month for a car thats going to be in the shop for the next month!!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #489
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
So anyone who has had their engine 'fixed', do you still have idle dip or not? I am surprised as I seem to be in a minority here as I've had many idle issues and an actual stall one time, but no CEL (auto tranny). I've been waiting weeks for any news of a repair here in Canada.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #490
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post