follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #407
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe after they fix this issue, the dip in the torque curve will be gone? I hope they can find and fix the problem quick.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #408
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
I am in California, bought out of state. I have 1,500 miles and no issues so far.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #409
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
More idle issues on my FR-S today, but no CEL yet. My roomie had to use the car and when it was outside running, I could hear the engine idle going up and down quite a few times. I thought it was going to stall before she even drove away.

I'm at the point of being ready to go on the offensive. Winter is coming soon and I want a reliable vehicle. I also don't want to waste $ on winter tires for a car I am not keeping.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_g; 09-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #410
Mr.Roboto

Drives: White-Out FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
So, I can add myself to the CEL club. No issues or idle drops until today. I'm at 425 miles, my idle dipped, car shook a bit, then the car threw a CEL. I'm going to scan it when I get home, but I'm assuming it's the standard P0019 error.

Bummer.

SubieNate (or anyone else in Temecula)-
Is Toyota of Temecula doing anything for you, or are you going somewhere else for the repair?
Our is still at Toyota of EscondidoWe are still waiting for parts from Toyota! Something to do with cam gear!!!hopefully we will get our baby back soon.
Mr.Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Roboto For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #411
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The VVTi (or whatever Subaru calls it) control valve has nothing to do with fuel or octane. It basically regulates oil pressure to the specialized cam gear to advance /retard cam timing on the fly. The ECU uses the cam position sensor, along with the cam timing maps and the oil control valve to control cam timing with a feedback loop.

If the ECU tries to alter the cam timing with the expected amount of adjustment with the oil control valve, and sees a slower than expected response (via feedback from the position sensor), it means the control valve (or the cam gear) is possibly malfunctioning so the ECU throws a code.

I am in CA, use 91, have around 2000 miles, no issues yet.

Last edited by uspspro; 09-03-2012 at 03:36 AM.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uspspro For This Useful Post:
96z2 (09-03-2012), Mr.Roboto (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #412
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Roboto View Post
Our is still at Toyota of EscondidoWe are still waiting for parts from Toyota! Something to do with cam gear!!!hopefully we will get our baby back soon.
That's too bad. How long has it been with the dealer? I'll be dropping mine off at Toyota of Temecula on Tuesday.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #413
Mr.Roboto

Quote:
That's too bad. How long has it been with the dealer? I'll be dropping mine off at Toyota of Temecula on Tuesday.
How long did you drive your car for? We barely have over 650 miles on our baby and this is the second time she is at Toyota of Escondido. She has been at TofE for more than 2 weeks because of "shipping from Toyota." We decided to bring our baby to Tof E because we like TofE better than TofT!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #414
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
How long did you drive your car for? We barely have over 650 miles on our baby and this is the second time she is at Toyota of Escondido. She has been at TofE for more than 2 weeks because of "shipping from Toyota." We decided to bring our baby to Tof E because we like TofE better than TofT!
My CEL occurred at 425miles. I'm hoping with the other FR-S (SubieNate's) at ToT, they'll take our issues seriously. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #415
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
All of you guys affected by this problem should not be waiting 3-4 weeks for parts. If I ran Subaru I would be more concerned about inconveniencing the customers who had already purchased the car, and not the ones waiting for it.

With that said, I would pull the parts from the assembly line immediately and send them via expedited shipping so that the fixes could actually be made in a timely manner.

Then again, I'm sure this is not cost-effective, but it sure would display some loyalty and consideration for the consumers who have taken delivery.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (09-03-2012), Mr.Roboto (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #416
Mr.Roboto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
All of you guys affected by this problem should not be waiting 3-4 weeks for parts. If I ran Subaru I would be more concerned about inconveniencing the customers who had already purchased the car, and not the ones waiting for it.

With that said, I would pull the parts from the assembly line immediately and send them via expedited shipping so that the fixes could actually be made in a timely manner.

Then again, I'm sure this is not cost-effective, but it sure would display some loyalty and consideration for the consumers who have taken delivery.
I think that what Toyota/Scion is trying to do is to stall! They dont want to randomly replacing parts! With so many F-RS with this problem, they want to find a permanent solution. When we went to TofE to visit our baby, she wasnt there alone! There was another F-RS sitting right beside her
Old 09-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #417
Mr.Roboto

Quote:
My CEL occurred at 425miles. I'm hoping with the other FR-S (SubieNate's) at ToT, they'll take our issues seriously. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...
Yes please let us know how TofT takes care of you and SubieNate's k!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #418
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All the folks with cel issues need to team up, hire a lawyer, and put some pressure on a fix. This not cool, and not very Subaru or Toyota, it's clear they have a manufacturing or engineering issue, and I don't suspect it's gonna be a small fix. I'm under 2000 miles and it seems that's like the average mileage from these posts.

You can bet if I get a cel I will be calling my attorney, former nj governors brother and getting a list of vins that got this code from everyone on this board, then each of you retain him, and write a letter with a strategic angle. I'm so jersey...

It may be a great thread topic, just have folks post the date car given for repair, cel code vin and stealer ship it's at. Thats a thread a lawyer could use. I just created one under recalls, thanks
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #419
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Drives: Argento FR-S
suck everyone is waiting on part. I threw a p0017 code at 200 miles, fixed in one week. now at 1300 and no idle dip issues, just a little rough idle at cold start.

Hope things work out and you can get back on the road
siXXtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #420
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I think that what Toyota/Scion is trying to do is to stall! They dont want to randomly replacing parts! With so many F-RS with this problem, they want to find a permanent solution. When we went to TofE to visit our baby, she wasnt there alone! There was another F-RS sitting right beside her
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
All the folks with cel issues need to team up, hire a lawyer, and put some pressure on a fix. This not cool, and not very Subaru or Toyota, it's clear they have a manufacturing or engineering issue, and I don't suspect it's gonna be a small fix. I'm under 2000 miles and it seems that's like the average mileage from these posts.
My CEL came on on the way home from buying this car yesterday. I've been on this forum for a while but never took note that this was a big issue.

My personal opinion is it is too early to take it into be serviced and too early to be calling lawyers.

I speculate after reading the OP's blog that the local "techs" and corporate "techs" tearing the engine apart lead to the engine seizing not whatever is causing the CEL.

Hopefully the issue will be sorted and whomever screwed up will fess up and we can get past this. There are a lot of politics at play, the ECU and the car had to pass a lot of expensive emmisions tests and possibly the fix is going to mean a re-certification. Especially with EcuTek reporting a new firmware taking care of the issue. Yea heads will roll, corporate politics, troublshooting all take time and I'm guessing at least another month until we can drive in to have the dealer flash the ECU and be done in 30 minutes.

Until then I don't "see" the CEL. I'll check compression and the oil for metal every weekend but keep driving. Yea the idle is a bit lumpy, but thats what aggressive cams do at idle.

I read the Subaru TSB, and am not buying it, no way Subaru screwed up that bad in this day and age when engines commonly go 300k miles without even changing a belt.

Ain't nobody taking my engine apart for a freakin indicator light. Especially a Scion tech who has never seen a boxer engine before.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
czar07 (09-04-2012), FBaxteR-S (09-04-2012), wheelhaus (09-05-2012)