follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #71
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aex90832 View Post
Alex's Dream Turbo:
Low PSI to avoid lag
Approx. 230whp
Smooth powerband
Discrete (no flashy tubing and OEM looking)
UEL header for the sound
No outrageous wooshy waste-gate sounds
Still compatible with most exhaust systems or a nice sounding exhaust as an option
Warranty
Placement like what AVO uses as that is what Subaru likes to do anyways
UNDER 4k including everything needed for installation

Im sure im missing something...but essentially an OEM+ setup..nothing that screams AFTERMARKET
Sounds good to me but I don't care about the header as long as it performs well.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #72
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I value a useable powerband over peak power.
The Following User Says Thank You to mact For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #73
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aex90832 View Post
Alex's Dream Turbo:
Low PSI to avoid lag
Approx. 230whp
Smooth powerband
Discrete (no flashy tubing and OEM looking)
UEL header for the sound
No outrageous wooshy waste-gate sounds
Still compatible with most exhaust systems or a nice sounding exhaust as an option
Warranty
Placement like what AVO uses as that is what Subaru likes to do anyways
UNDER 4k including everything needed for installation

Im sure im missing something...but essentially an OEM+ setup..nothing that screams AFTERMARKET
low psi isn't going to dictate lag, the size of the turbo will
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #74
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I'll be keeping a eye on this but I find it hard to believe that another company is going to out do - 1. AVO - long time makers of bolt-up turbo kits for subies , 2. P&L - a shop who makes amazing staged subie turbo kits for the normal guy or racer - also has the fastest subie in north America , 3. Accelerated Performance - experts on going fast - also home of fastest Supra in the world...

From what you told me you going to use a turbo no one has used before and it's better? AVO hasn't even announced what they're using yet.

I'm sorry there's only so many ways to make a turbo kit ...

John
I understand that you feel threatened by Thechopshop because of the big words they are throwing in here but I'd say stop questioning their intentions until you see the results.

I'm really excited about everything what has been said by them so far.
A custom turbo designed for this specific car is just amazing!

once again I'll believe this until I see it but for now I'll just keep very excited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subatoy For This Useful Post:
gosaints420 (09-02-2012), TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #75
subatoy

Chopshop,
Some dealers tend to be a bunch of ignorant people who talk a lot of BS based on assumptions, with that said and based on history u if with anybody moding cars I HIGHLY doubt that ANY dealer will allow warranty claims if a car has a turbo kit.

Even if you could take it off "easily" (which I find completely unrealistic)before a warranty claim that would be lying which I believe is ilegal.

I'm not sure what you guys are making but boosting an engine means the end of warranty unless the the kit comes directly from the factory and it has been installed by them.

make sure you guys get your research done before such claims.
I wouldn't make calims based on what 1 dealer said.

I love the sounds of what you guys are doing but I won't keep my hopes too high until I see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to subatoy For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #76
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
Chopshop,
Some dealers tend to be a bunch of ignorant people who talk a lot of BS based on assumptions, with that said and based on history u if with anybody moding cars I HIGHLY doubt that ANY dealer will allow warranty claims if a car has a turbo kit.

Even if you could take it off "easily" (which I find completely unrealistic)before a warranty claim that would be lying which I believe is ilegal.

I'm not sure what you guys are making but boosting an engine means the end of warranty unless the the kit comes directly from the factory and it has been installed by them.

make sure you guys get your research done before such claims.
I wouldn't make calims based on what 1 dealer said.

I love the sounds of what you guys are doing but I won't keep my hopes too high until I see it.
With what I have heard, there is a possibility for a warranty, based on the possible collaboration with one of the parties. I would bet they cannot go any further than this though
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #77
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
doinga little investigating has opened up some of your partners. I do like what I see so far. I think people will be very suprised if they see who the collab is with if my sources are correct on the project you are working on (meaning you are working with 4 companies, and should be done by SEMA)
ive tried to do some investigating havnt gotten far tho
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #78
Beardo

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What Baker said, pushing 100 extra horse power through the drive train invalidates the warranty on those components. Removing the addons after a failure is worth a punt but suggesting it has a factory warranty intact is a touch rich??

Regardless, sounds interesting, any partnerships outside of the US yet?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #79
subatoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
With what I have heard, there is a possibility for a warranty, based on the possible collaboration with one of the parties. I would bet they cannot go any further than this though
If thats the case then I love these guys EVEN MORE!
I'm honestly waiting for a great turbo kit before I purchase the car.
I've been watching AVO closely but they never give any updates.

TheChopShop,
please keep constant updates as this project develops, I don't appreciate the lack of updates from other tuners.
If I buy an FRS/BRZ might depend on this kit.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #80
TheChopShop

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6sp
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
You mean the factory warranty so they dont give me flak if they see it? I figured any FI would void the warranty. And I look forward to hearing the different sounds. Also, if a smooth powerband has been a major concern, why did you choose to go turbo instead of S/C? I'm still sorting out the pros and cons to both methods
We have more of a chance to make a very easily removable kit with a turbo, a supercharger would mean pulleys and possible engine opening. But I do have some experience with superchargers and 4 cyl, and 8 cyl engines.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #81
subatoy

Thechoshop, pay close attention at AVO's turbo location, i believe is the best because it mimics factory turbo setups for that engine.
just make sure to use UELs
The Following User Says Thank You to subatoy For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #82
TheChopShop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
Thechoshop, pay close attention at AVO's turbo location, i believe is the best because it mimics factory turbo setups for that engine.
just make sure to use UELs
Thank you. I will make sure they all take note of this. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #83
r0ma

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChopShop View Post
From what our local dealership has told us; as long as we don't alter the engine and ecu, warranty will stay intact. On the only condition that it can be returned to stock if a warranty issue arises.
So no internals, no harness cutting, no ecu soldering, etc.
We plan to keep this throughout the campaign as the number one rule.

And to answer, CARB has approved this turbo design for another project we completed. So the CARB approval shouldn't be too hard for this one. Couple things are different, but the emissions change should be minimal and gas mileage may improve *fingers crossed lol*
I find it extremely hard to beleive anyone will warrant the car with an aftermarket turbo kit. we have already seen clutch failures due to turbo charging. (you don't need to cut, solder, touch internals to blow the motor/gearbox/diff)

and define 'alter' the ecu, the ecu will be tuned at the very least for tc.

happy (& I hope) to be proven wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ma For This Useful Post:
TheChopShop (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #84
TheChopShop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
What Baker said, pushing 100 extra horse power through the drive train invalidates the warranty on those components. Removing the addons after a failure is worth a punt but suggesting it has a factory warranty intact is a touch rich??

Regardless, sounds interesting, any partnerships outside of the US yet?
I am hoping to answer your question and put some minds at ease with a little background of our trip with this AMAZING vehicle so far.....

When I went to SEMA last year I made a LOT of connections. My wifey (yes a very real car girl, 350hp 1990 240sx daily driven, being built for 600hp right now by her and me) and I arrived 2 days early to have our plan down. We did all our initial late night sightseeing the first night. The next day we spent walking everywhere we wanted to go. That night was the pre-party. We didn't have tickets but we went down anyways in a car we had rented for the trip. We must've looked the part as we were waved in on our initial pass to try and sneak a peek. The car we rented...A Chevy Camaro Convertible in Orange. We were never asked for credentials as the wifey had packed the car with our show badges already. We spent the next 3 hours walking, talking, and drinking with numerous company big wigs. Then the 4 days of SEMA we spent walking from open to close. Meeting, shaking hands, talking, and hanging out as long as we could. Strictly business in Vegas on those days. We emailed each person we got a business card from to say thank you each night. The last day we spent revisiting people we had previously met or bumped into outside the show. We spent 2 hours after the show had officially closed and hung out with companie execs as they mingled themselves. We were not supposed to be there, but each time as security would say something, someone would pipe in with the saving "they are with us" We made the best of our time, we kept in contact, and we knew what we were talking about. We may not have been a huge corporation, but our friends are. And I have the xmas cards to prove it, lol

So with those connections and conversations about what we wanted to do, in January we were invited by Scion to a special "measuring" session in Torrance, CA in March. In February I asked each dealership who would like to earn my business. Only one knew what I was talking about and seemed eager for the opportunity to learn what I knew so far. LOL. I told them the color and options I wanted and was told to wait until they could legally take my deposit. We flew out a few days early so I could show the wifey around my old stomping grounds. The morning we left on my way to the airport I dropped off my deposit on the vehicle.

Which brings me to this.....

While at the measuring session, we ran into a colleague who happened to work at Scion. He took us to a back room where we were able to see the FiveAxis concept vehicle up close and personal. Afterwards we spoke about the possibility of a turbo or sc. He didn't look happy, and said for this, his lips were sealed. When I told him I wanted to build a turbo kit for mine and possibly the masses, he lit up and started to help me. He asked what I needed. I told him everything. From then on I have been talking to him. No inside secrets have been exchanged. No special privileges. I just have as much info as I want, and questions on design go straight to the people who love this car as much as us. Toyotas names will be nowhere on this kit. I have no affiliation with them. Just a friend, who has some info. And everything he gives me is available to you.

I received my FR-S on May 31st. I drove it until I saw the magical 1000 miles. Loving every 1/10th of a mile along the way. At 1000.1 I went straight to the lot where I practice. I spun the car, I pushed it, I downshifted, I smiled. I knew it needed more and that we were on the right track.

And this brings us to now.

Hi, that was long. But I hope this helps when I tell you we are serious. We are here with the cars best interest in mind, and we aren't doing this from a closet in our mothers house.

As far as taking things off for warranty, the FR-S is advertised as being able to carry 4 wheels and tires in the rear. It has a limited slip, and is built as a daily driven track car. They know we are going to do things. They are prepared for this. Get in good with your dealerships. If they are not good to you, call Scion. They will help you find one that is good to you. And possibly "train" the "untrained" dealership. I will have all the logistics worked out before the official claim, but this is the number one focus of the build.

This is very long, and I am tired from the day, I have been home sick for a week now. Decided to brave the day, it beat me. But I am home and will answer any and all questions until I pass out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheChopShop For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-03-2012), F1point4 (09-08-2012), Lee358 (09-03-2012)

Closed Thread