follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2026, 04:26 AM   #1
hb.3@hotmail.com
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Drives:
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Car Won’t Start

Symptom:

* After a drive of about 20 minutes, I switch the car off, and when I try to restart it, it won’t crank.
* After waiting about 30–60 minutes, it starts normally.

What happens when it fails:

* The dash and all lights come on normally.
* The brake lights work when I press the pedal.
* The shifter moves between P and N normally.
* The green key indicator appears on the dash.
* When I press the start button, there is no crank, no click and no sound at all. It is completely silent.

What I’ve already tried:

* Replaced the key fob battery.
* Replaced the ST (Starter) relay with a new one — no change.
* Replaced the ST CUT relay with a new one — no change.
* Tried starting in both P and N — no difference.
* Kept the key fob away from my phone.
* None of these changed the problem.

Dealer:

They couldn’t find the fault and suggested replacing the whole wiring harness. I don’t think that is a real diagnosis, so I haven’t agreed to it.

Since the problem only happens after driving and disappears after waiting 30–60 minutes, I’m wondering if something is failing when hot and working again after cooling down.

Has anyone experienced this exact issue on an FR-S, Toyota 86 or BRZ? If so, what was the actual cause and what fixed it?

Any part numbers, fuse/relay locations, or diagnostic suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


أرسلت بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Tapatalk
hb.3@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2026, 09:34 PM   #2
Dake
Senior Member
 
Dake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,084
Thanks: 469
Thanked 841 Times in 424 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Do you have headers or something that raise under-hood temps? It almost sounds like the starter is getting heat-soaked. I had a similar problem in a different car and just wrapping the starter in a heat blanket fixed it.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2026, 06:40 AM   #3
hb.3@hotmail.com
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Drives:
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Do you have headers or something that raise under-hood temps? It almost sounds like the starter is getting heat-soaked. I had a similar problem in a different car and just wrapping the starter in a heat blanket fixed it.

Yes, the car does have headers, and they have had heat insulation since I bought the car a long time ago. I’ll definitely take your suggestion seriously, as heat soak could possibly be the cause, especially since the car starts normally again after cooling down for 30–60 minutes. Thanks for pointing this out.
hb.3@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2026, 10:29 AM   #4
blsfrs
Senior Member
 
blsfrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2013 frs base
Location: central Virginia
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 2,801
Thanked 1,486 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb.3@hotmail.com View Post
Yes, the car does have headers, and they have had heat insulation since I bought the car a long time ago. I’ll definitely take your suggestion seriously, as heat soak could possibly be the cause, especially since the car starts normally again after cooling down for 30–60 minutes. Thanks for pointing this out.
Do a through check on the battery cables.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2026, 10:35 AM   #5
hb.3@hotmail.com
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Drives:
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Do a through check on the battery cables.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll definitely have the battery cables, terminals, and grounds checked thoroughly, including a voltage drop test when the problem occurs. I appreciate your help.


أرسلت بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Tapatalk
hb.3@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2026, 09:34 AM   #6
smackrel
Full Throttle!
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 17 CBSP Limited PP
Location: TPA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 119
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How did it go? Find a resolution yet?
smackrel is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Auto won't start w Start/Stop button renzs1 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 2 09-24-2026 01:30 PM
Car won't start. Limited with push to start. uEih Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 22 01-06-2017 11:54 AM
Car won't start, won't crank, no ecu communication redlined600 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 10 07-09-2016 12:55 PM
Car Won't Start schtebie Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 25 10-15-2012 04:06 PM
Car won't start, no spark? #87 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 5 12-19-2011 12:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.