follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
send them an email, there are two on the flyer.

i'm not organizing this one.
Heero (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just picked up my helmet!

See you guys there tomorrow! If anyone else is coming PM me
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went to this today, and it was a huge eye opener. I've always been a car nut, and I have always been a race fanatic, but I had never really gone out on a track until today.

HOLY CRAP I LOVED IT!

THIS MAKES LIFE WORTH LIVING!

THIS IS WHAT THE FR-S (and BRZ) WAS MADE FOR!

Very friendly atmosphere, and organizers. Great for novices, and those with lots of seat time.

A very big thank-you goes out to 7thgear for the original post. I wouldn't have know about it otherwise. And a huge thank-you to the guys at SPDA that were organizing it.

To those who missed it, keep an eye out for events like this. Cheaper than going to Canadas Wonderland, and ten times the fun.

Now, I just wish most of the events like this weren't held on Saturdays. Normally I work every Saturday, but we were closed today for the long weekend.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Now, I just wish most of the events like this weren't held on Saturdays. Normally I work every Saturday, but we were closed today for the long weekend.
very glad to hear you enjoyed yourself

it's always different once you arrive and drive, you can spend years reading about it but until you do it yourself you will never understand

time to fake illnesses on saturdays
Slartibartfast (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Heero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
very glad to hear you enjoyed yourself

it's always different once you arrive and drive, you can spend years reading about it but until you do it yourself you will never understand

time to fake illnesses on saturdays
Hah... ye it was fun! Only problem was that I sucked at it lol... got black flagged 3 times and only got a couple laps myself (my fault, I left early).

All that aside, got a lot of coaching time. I would love to try it again sometime... but I really need to get some practice before I go out again. Any suggestions for places to practice?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
Hah... ye it was fun! Only problem was that I sucked at it lol... got black flagged 3 times and only got a couple laps myself (my fault, I left early).

All that aside, got a lot of coaching time. I would love to try it again sometime... but I really need to get some practice before I go out again. Any suggestions for places to practice?
what is it that you need to practice?

nothing beats practice like going to the track. You can try autocross and other lapping days. Like anything else in life it takes time.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Great to meet you Saturday Heero.

You just need seat time. Keep an eye out for weekend courses, skid school, lapping sessions etc. (I'm sure 7thgear would have some advice about that) That's what I'll be doing as well.

I agree with Martin (the coach you were out with), spend the money you were going to use on "go-fast-goodies" on driver training. You'll find more speed behind the wheel, rather than under the hood. For now anyway.

Don't get discouraged, you have the PERFECT car to learn on.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe try AutoX to gain some confidence at the limits of the car.

Don't give up. It takes practice. What problems were you having?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Heero

Quote:
what is it that you need to practice?

nothing beats practice like going to the track. You can try autocross and other lapping days. Like anything else in life it takes time.
I think I just need to practice controlling the car... I spun out the first time (was going too fast) and then afterwards I got waved off for going too slow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Great to meet you Saturday Heero.

You just need seat time. Keep an eye out for weekend courses, skid school, lapping sessions etc. (I'm sure 7thgear would have some advice about that) That's what I'll be doing as well.

I agree with Martin (the coach you were out with), spend the money you were going to use on "go-fast-goodies" on driver training. You'll find more speed behind the wheel, rather than under the hood. For now anyway.

Don't get discouraged, you have the PERFECT car to learn on.

Nice to meet you too! Ye I'll keep at it. It was a fun experience for sure. I'll give some driving schools a call and inquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
Maybe try AutoX to gain some confidence at the limits of the car.

Don't give up. It takes practice. What problems were you having?
Yea I'll try autocross. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday!

I was just going too slow lol. I think it might have just been nerves because I spun out the first time.... I duno. I sort of just gave up after half the day. I'll give it a shot again for sure tho.

BTW... Why do ppl tape up their plates & lights? PPL at the event mentioned insurance, but is it really a big deal?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
BTW... Why do ppl tape up their plates & lights? PPL at the event mentioned insurance, but is it really a big deal?
No insurance in Ontario will insure you if you tell them that you take your car to the track

If your insurance company should happen to find out and prove that you are at the track they will most likely cancel your insurance

So people cover up or take them off in case photos or insurance spies ever make it out,

However this is conjecture as no one that I know has been nailed and there hasn't been a precedent in the past of anyone ever having their insurance canned.

Don't ask don't tell? I don't know... but I do know that our insurance regulation in Ontario is bullshit.

as for taping lights, some people do that so if they shatter (lolwut?) to keep the debris down, but no one makes glass housings anymore so they just do it for pimp looks.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

also never be afraid to spin out, just be glad your first spin was done in a safe environment and no one was hurt, including the car.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
engsr

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I think I just need to practice controlling the car... I spun out the first time (was going too fast) and then afterwards I got waved off for going too slow lol.
Out of curiousity, did you drive with the TC and VSC off from the get-go? Just a personal opinion, but I probably would have suggested driving with it on for at least the first session. Reason being is that the car will essentially stop you from over driving the car based on your inputs. I've found that you can drive this car pretty hard without kicking in the TC/VSC, so I would probably attest that if your inputs were smooth enough you could probably drive the car pretty fast, and you would only engage the TC/VSC if you did something "wrong".

Could be a good way to learn but I'm taking a guess here. When I drove the FRS during the Scion day at PITL, I basically drove it like a FWD (since that's all I've ever driven) and the TC/VSC kicked in a few times at the points where I'm normally being aggressive and there were times where it never came on at all. So I'm thinking that there is a way to "cheat" the system, if you will.

Anyway, I would have liked to come Saturday since that's stupid cheap for DDT lapping but I was at Mid-Ohio for ALMS and World Challenge.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
Heero

Quote:
No insurance in Ontario will insure you if you tell them that you take your car to the track

If your insurance company should happen to find out and prove that you are at the track they will most likely cancel your insurance
Ah ic... I might as well tape mine too. better be safe then sorry. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by engsr View Post
Out of curiousity, did you drive with the TC and VSC off from the get-go? Just a personal opinion, but I probably would have suggested driving with it on for at least the first session. Reason being is that the car will essentially stop you from over driving the car based on your inputs. I've found that you can drive this car pretty hard without kicking in the TC/VSC, so I would probably attest that if your inputs were smooth enough you could probably drive the car pretty fast, and you would only engage the TC/VSC if you did something "wrong".

Could be a good way to learn but I'm taking a guess here. When I drove the FRS during the Scion day at PITL, I basically drove it like a FWD (since that's all I've ever driven) and the TC/VSC kicked in a few times at the points where I'm normally being aggressive and there were times where it never came on at all. So I'm thinking that there is a way to "cheat" the system, if you will.

Anyway, I would have liked to come Saturday since that's stupid cheap for DDT lapping but I was at Mid-Ohio for ALMS and World Challenge.
Yes I took all the nannies completely off (despite the advice of my coach lol). I kept it on afterwards and did fine. I think I just had the car in third the entire course when I should have been in second the majority of the time.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
engsr

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^ Ok, just wondering. The DDT isn't an easy track as there are a lot of nuances and several different lines to take. I know I find it to be a good challenge every time I drive it.

Trust me, the speed and control just comes with seat time. There's a learning curve and I would imagine with our cars it will take a bit of time. I think after this weekend you'll have a better feel for your car.