follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2023, 10:40 PM   #15
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This too from nasioc.

Well I just reinstalled the new clutch and FW with the stock PP and . . . . . . IT WORKS!!!!

I am currently in communication with ACT to see if they can figure out what went wrong, but it seams like the whole issue stemmed from a bad PP. I will keep you guys posted on what happens...

I also want to personally thank everyone for their input!!! It has been extremely helpful and I learned a whole lot about clutches and the system as a whole!!
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 11:53 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
How dare you call me a "shade tree wench". I've got a lot more class than that.

Well, actually, no I don't.

Went reasonably well. Installed cylinders, bled system to clear fluid, but it wouldn't go into gear. Lengthen rod, still wouldn't go into gear. I start contemplating ways to get the home to pull the trans when my supervisor and bleeding assistant (read wife) suggests another round of bleeding. The fluid looked clear but after that the car went into gear.

Now, the clutch doesn't engage until I let it almost all the way out. The rod is almost at the end of it's threads and there is no free play with my foot off the clutch pedal. Tomorrow is going to be cooler. I'll do some adjusting.
I keyed in on the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
That sounds like the opposite of my problem but what did you do to fix it.
It was indeed the opposite but I was mostly concerned about not compounding the issue. I already suspected it was the ACT clutch warping when it gets hot but,... one step at a time. Sounds like you leapfrogged over all the steps and left me in the dust.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #17
blsfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I keyed in on the above.
It was indeed the opposite but I was mostly concerned about not compounding the issue. I already suspected it was the ACT clutch warping when it gets hot but,... one step at a time. Sounds like you leapfrogged over all the steps and left me in the dust.
This failure seems so random. I last tracked the car in march. Since then, I've been dinking around with the oil pressure issue. The engine was out of the car for 2 months. I put it back together and 2-3 weeks later, this happens.

I was 1/2 way thinking of going back to a stock clutch when I put it back together but at the time I didn't want to spend the $518 (Amazon). That time the voices in my head were correct.
Ultramaroon (09-11-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #18
blsfrs

Act is giving me the finger

At least I know what the problem is.

Then, the Exedy kit from RockAuto had a 9 1/2 disc instead of a 9" one. I jumped through their hoops for the return label, we'll see what happens.

I'll find a vendor with real, live, honest to goodness, people and order another kit. Hopefully they can check it before shipping.
Attached Images

Ultramaroon (09-17-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 08:56 PM   #19
blsfrs

My FRS is back together with OEM Exedy kit, flywheel, and Redline 90 gear lube. It drives like a dream. I didn't realize how much I disliked the Act clutch and light weight flywheel.

I installed Cusco front shifter bushings. I attempted to install an Energy Suspension rear bushing but there was no way I could get the mofo to slide onto the shift rod. I did not remove the shifter from the car but now that it's back together, the shifter feels good anyway.

Rockatuo gave me a full refund on the kit with the wrong disc. Maybe I'll send the old pressure plate back to ACT and then they can tell me what's wrong with it.