follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2023, 09:16 PM   #1
nlenn

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bricked ECU (OFT) - What are my options

Back in February I tried to flash the original file back onto my 2019 BRZ. I made a post asking for some advice back in February. Some good suggestions but ultimately nothing worked. I've been going back and forth with OFT support for the past two months trying to fix the issue and they finally said there's nothing left they can do.

I seem to be the total anomaly for this issue - everyone that's had a similar problem and posted about it seems to find a resolution. I've tried a lot these past two months with no luck. Dealer quoted $1500 for new ECU. Not sure if I would take it to the dealer but I figured I'd make one last desperate post asking for suggestions.

Truthfully I'm very disappointed with OFT. I've been using it for years and it's been great but this time around it really screwed me over. I always made sure to keep everything absolutely still while flashing and I was very familiar with the process (owned OFT for 2 years), my guess is battery could have been low when I started but that is a total assumption.
nlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:45 PM   #2
macuser27

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlenn View Post
Back in February I tried to flash the original file back onto my 2019 BRZ. I made a post asking for some advice back in February. Some good suggestions but ultimately nothing worked. I've been going back and forth with OFT support for the past two months trying to fix the issue and they finally said there's nothing left they can do.

I seem to be the total anomaly for this issue - everyone that's had a similar problem and posted about it seems to find a resolution. I've tried a lot these past two months with no luck. Dealer quoted $1500 for new ECU. Not sure if I would take it to the dealer but I figured I'd make one last desperate post asking for suggestions.

Truthfully I'm very disappointed with OFT. I've been using it for years and it's been great but this time around it really screwed me over. I always made sure to keep everything absolutely still while flashing and I was very familiar with the process (owned OFT for 2 years), my guess is battery could have been low when I started but that is a total assumption.
Replace your ECU with an eBay one using these instructions?
macuser27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:36 AM   #3
oversteering

Drives: Toyota GT86 MY2017
I have got a similar problem flashing a tune with OFT due a cable connection problem, I have resolved flashing back original tune using Tactrix openport and ecuflash, have you tried this?
oversteering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
nlenn

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
Replace your ECU with an eBay one using these instructions?
This is what I will probably end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteering View Post
I have got a similar problem flashing a tune with OFT due a cable connection problem, I have resolved flashing back original tune using Tactrix openport and ecuflash, have you tried this?
I'm not sure if this will work as I can't communicate with the ECU in any capacity; can't read or write data.
nlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:19 PM   #5
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,174 Times in 470 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1 for giving a Tactrix a try. See if someone will lend you one locally . If you were close to YYC I'd offer mine up.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
oversteering

Drives: Toyota GT86 MY2017
On my experience ecuflash unlike OFT skips some initial checking procedures related to the calibration id so you can write the tune.
oversteering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:37 AM   #7
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had that same error code when attempting to flash back few years ago. Resolved it by cleaning out the pins on the cable, OBD port, and the pins on the tablet with compressed air. It was not making proper contact.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:38 PM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Everything these people say is true. Believe them, from pins to using Tactrix.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:28 PM   #9
softail

Drives: GT86 2013 E85
I also had connection problems with OFT. I'm on my second cable. The cable is often the weak link. Before switching to Tactrix, try cleaning the contacts or else buying a new cable.
softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:02 PM   #10
toyota_86

Drives: Toyota 86 (old) / GR86 - (current)
thats unlucky, i have had mulitple corrupted flashes like my laptop battery die while flashing the ECU, or laptop crash while flashing and it was fine. Normally even if the flash is corrupted you can always just reflash.

Maybe go to someone local with a Tactrix cable and ECU flash and ask them to have a try, with ECU flash i never had a problem after a failure.
toyota_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:52 AM   #11
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlenn View Post

ECU is pretty easy to replace if you get one from same year car same transmission

Otherwise you can reflash the replacement ECU with tactrix

Oft is not good at recovery tactrix is a bit better but brzedit or ecutek is best at recovery but much more expensive

I've flashed lots of ECU with various systems oft is not good at recovery

I've recovered a few on the bench if you mailed me the ECU im pretty sure I can recover it but would be couple of weeks in transit

Or buy used ecu

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AussieBRZ For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-17-2023), Teseo (06-17-2023)