follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Robert97

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jack Stand Placement

I have a floor jack and two jack stands and a very small one car garage. I'm trying to lift the left front and left rear wheels to rotate tires before the next track day.

If I jack say the front left front the car at the jack point (the crimp point on the sheet metal seam), where do I put the jack stand? The jack is holding up the car at the crimp point, so I can’t put the jack stand there. Same issue with rear.

I can't lift at the front or rear of the car because of space constraints a sloping driveway.

Any help appreciated.
Robert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,174 Times in 470 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Jack up one corner, remove wheel, put on spare, lower car. Jack up other corner, remove wheel, put rotated wheel on, lower car. Jack up first corner, remove spare, put on rotated wheel. Just don't put any body parts under the car, the jack should be fine to hold up the car for the minute it takes to swap one wheel for another.

Or hit up a Walmart parking lot, they're usually level and don't have an issue with people doing stuff like that.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert97 View Post
I have a floor jack and two jack stands and a very small one car garage. I'm trying to lift the left front and left rear wheels to rotate tires before the next track day.

If I jack say the front left front the car at the jack point (the crimp point on the sheet metal seam), where do I put the jack stand? The jack is holding up the car at the crimp point, so I can’t put the jack stand there. Same issue with rear.

I can't lift at the front or rear of the car because of space constraints a sloping driveway.

Any help appreciated.
Place the floor jack just behind the actual jacking point. It should be strong enough to support the weight. The car is stiff enough that the entire side of the car comes up no problem. Use a jack pad if you're worried about pinching or marring the rail. Then place the jack stands onto the normal jack points.

You can see in the below photo that the rear of the car is lifted (there isn't a stand there yet; you can count the one under the front pinch weld and the other 3 stands along the wall), even though the floor jack is pretty far forward. Obviously it's not safe to leave it this way, so place a jack at the rear position once you're raised
Attached Images

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 03-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-08-2022), Ultramaroon (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
Robert97

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Place the floor jack just behind the actual jacking point. It should be strong enough to support the weight. The car is stiff enough that the entire side of the car comes up no problem. Use a jack pad if you're worried about pinching or marring the rail. Then place the jack stands onto the normal jack points.

You can see in the below photo that the rear of the car is lifted (there isn't a stand there yet; you can count the one under the front pinch weld and the other 3 stands along the wall), even though the floor jack is pretty far forward. Obviously it's not safe to leave it this way, so place a jack at the rear position once you're raised
Thanks. I will try this.
Robert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I used to lift the front of the car and then rear. I do one wheel at a time now with a scissor jack and impact. If you can't find one with a socket head you can get an adapter. I still place a jack stand under before changing a wheel.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/1-2-Inc...RD2F988BHQRUW3

Simple, light and easy.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote