follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bilstein B6 + RCE Yellow vs. CSG-spec Tein Flex A

Just like the title says, I'm torn between these two options. I use my car mainly for DD, lots of spirited driving with the plan to track it 1-3 times a year. Only plan to lower about one inch and nothing more.

Right now, leaning towards the CSG-spec coilovers because in case I find the bilstein b6 + rce yellows too soft, I can dial it in a bit more, but my question is if the bilstein b6 damper is superior to that of the tein flex A since it sacrifices versatility.
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That is a very tough question to answer. I find myself in the same boat and after riding in a car with B8 dampers with Eibach springs, it brought more confusion to the mix. The B6/RCE yellows will more than capable for spirited driving and comfort. You will be surprised at the versatility of this kit. It has no camber plate, though.

Whereas the Tein Flex A CSG Is cut out more on the side of sportiness than comfort, though it is very capable on the streets, or so i have read so far.
The only down side is the waiting time to get a kit. But then since its back ordered all the time means its a really good kit.

Now throw into the mix, RCE SS1, with nice camber plates and made for street use with some track use in mind. It has the versatility needed and can be adjusted to your liking. Meaning you will only use one setting for the street but can be adjusted for track use. And it comes with KW quality.

In my opinion, if the main focus is DD then you can't go wrong with Bilstein B6 and some nice springs. Someone recommended going with the STI pinks springs for max comfort and neutral behaviour. And add some camber bolts and you should be good.

But if you are looking for some adjustability and future [more] track use then its better to get coilovers. Any two of the above won't break your bank and still fulfil your needs. All the above is my opinion [research] only and others will no doubt chime in with more views.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thefalls For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-09-2021), Tanstin (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalls View Post
That is a very tough question to answer. I find myself in the same boat and after riding in a car with B8 dampers with Eibach springs, it brought more confusion to the mix. The B6/RCE yellows will more than capable for spirited driving and comfort. You will be surprised at the versatility of this kit. It has no camber plate, though.

Whereas the Tein Flex A CSG Is cut out more on the side of sportiness than comfort, though it is very capable on the streets, or so i have read so far.
The only down side is the waiting time to get a kit. But then since its back ordered all the time means its a really good kit.

Now throw into the mix, RCE SS1, with nice camber plates and made for street use with some track use in mind. It has the versatility needed and can be adjusted to your liking. Meaning you will only use one setting for the street but can be adjusted for track use. And it comes with KW quality.

In my opinion, if the main focus is DD then you can't go wrong with Bilstein B6 and some nice springs. Someone recommended going with the STI pinks springs for max comfort and neutral behaviour. And add some camber bolts and you should be good.

But if you are looking for some adjustability and future [more] track use then its better to get coilovers. Any two of the above won't break your bank and still fulfil your needs. All the above is my opinion [research] only and others will no doubt chime in with more views.
Sounds like a pretty solid summary. I'd add too that if it's mostly or only a DD car, coilovers would offer you a little more wheel options in terms of sizes/fitment.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalls View Post
I agree with all your points and these are all systems which i have considered. However, i do have doubts about "KW quality". This is by no means knocking on RCE as they have been a really helpful resource on this forum with suspension knowledge. However, i owned a set of KW V3 for my S2000 and two of four shocks started to leak within less than 6k miles. I did buy the set used but the first owner was my friend hence i know the history of the setup. Maybe i had bad luck with my particular set but i have read similar stories online. I have owned Teins, Buddy Clubs, Apexi and Spoon coilovers and none of them leaked in my ownership. In any case, i will give them another shot and will sent them in for a service this spring but just some food for thought.

Another point to consider, only the Bilstein from the list is a monotube design which is supposedly superior when it comes to motion control with a larger piston. And i think rebuild is far easier with Bilstein with lots of options including revalve, not so much with the other 2.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
We do have a couple sets of RCE SS1 in stock and Bilstein B6. I wish I still had mine on my car...both because I'm really hating the stock suspension I have on temporarily and because I could give you a ride. I will have Bilstein B6 on my car shortly but not with RCE Yellows (I'll have our rally springs on which are pretty different lol).

If you're definitely planning on 245 tires and/or 9 inch wheels, you'll want coilovers.

The Bilsteins really are great and a super fun all-around set up with RCE Yellows.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 03-09-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Tanstin (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I was faced with the exact same decision to make. I’m one of those people that doesn’t like to have to adjust stuff other than camber and my sway bars. I went with the B6’s. I already had H&R springs and Verus camber plates. I mainly track my car however some drives to the track can be 8 hours. This setup performs extremely well both on track and on the street. I felt putting the money into really good dampening was important. Coils can be good or they can suck.
If you go the coil route strike up a convo With CSG Mike. He’ll point you in the right direction.

The thread below makes me think I made the right decision

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144426

Last edited by TommyW; 03-09-2021 at 02:02 PM.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
We do have a couple sets of RCE SS1 in stock and Bilstein B6. I wish I still had mine on my car...both because I'm really hating the stock suspension I have on temporarily and because I could give you a ride. I will have Bilstein B6 on my car shortly but not with RCE Yellows (I'll have our rally springs on which are pretty different lol).

If you're definitely planning on 245 tires and/or 9 inch wheels, you'll want coilovers.

The Bilsteins really are great and a super fun all-around set up with RCE Yellows.

- Andrew
I am REALLY interested in seeing the results of the B6/rally spring marriage.
Racecomp Engineering (03-09-2021), Spankopotomous (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
wil5bart

Drives: '16 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm very pleased with my B6's. These bilstein shocks provide a firm ride but not harsh at all. The rest of my suspension components are stock but I'm thinking of replacing the springs.
wil5bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Really happy with Bilsteins and Swift SpecR springs (1.25" lowering, a bit stiffer than RCE Yellow, about same as RCE Tarmac) for street and track on my car. That said, over biggish whoops at speed the rear can get "bounced" off the rear bump stops. I'm thinking about getting rear shock mounts that give more bump travel like these:
https://diftech.com/products/shock-u...-s-brz-86-rear
https://raceseng.com/products/shock-top

Anybody have a recommendation between those two or other?
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Really happy with Bilsteins and Swift SpecR springs (1.25" lowering, a bit stiffer than RCE Yellow, about same as RCE Tarmac) for street and track on my car. That said, over biggish whoops at speed the rear can get "bounced" off the rear bump stops. I'm thinking about getting rear shock mounts that give more bump travel like these:
https://diftech.com/products/shock-u...-s-brz-86-rear
https://raceseng.com/products/shock-top

Anybody have a recommendation between those two or other?
Neither of those are designed for OEM style shocks unfortunately. I think you'd lower the car and not change bump travel...with a coilover that had adjustable spring perches would then raise the spring perch to get back to your previous ride height and get some bump travel back.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ZDan (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #11
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Neither of those are designed for OEM style shocks unfortunately. I think you'd lower the car and not change bump travel...with a coilover that had adjustable spring perches would then raise the spring perch to get back to your previous ride height and get some bump travel back.
Ah, I haven't examined the design closely, assumed the idea was to move the top shock mount upward while keeping spring perch at same height.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote