follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
zac8

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS black and 2007 impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me find the best process and products for waxing a black BRZ Ts

Any opinions or methods are welcome. its been a year since i've had my tS and I figured i should give it a fresh wax. Should I use specific black paint wax? Specific black rim wax? Any steps other than the usual wash down before I wax it? Should I use a sealant before waxing? Any specific items for applying the wax?

Sorry if this is already a thread. I have never waxed a car before so I really have no idea what i'm doing with this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by zac8; 07-16-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
zac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i suggest locating a local automotive detailer. or watch a lot of how-to video's on autogeek, or any of the other dozens of youtube channels. car detailing can be a fun way to make your car pretty and is a nice hobby.

generally, the process that i take is:

wash, dry(just like normal), clay bar(to remove contaminants, and level the paint surface), then generally a polish(to remove swirls and scratches), then the wax.

there's a trillion different products, techniques and extra processes, but this is the methods i use because it's the fewest steps with the best results.

the most important thing to remember is that unlike other products, cost of the product does not equate to how nice it is, or how long it will last. the $20 carnuba wax at autozone is going to last just as long as the $300 specialty carnuba wax that smells better from autogeek.

different waxes have different components that can help highlight specific colors, or in your case, help black paint hide blemishes longer. what you're paying for is the specific package of components. some use oddball expensive stuff, some use common stuff.

i generally use wolfgang products for no particular reason other than i like them. my coworker uses a lot of chemical guy's. i don't feel my selection is any better than his, it's all just a preference.
humfrz (07-18-2019), wolffbite (07-18-2019), zac8 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
If you don't know YouTube it.
Simple as that.

It is a physical labor job. If you don't like that kind of work pay someone to do it. FYI it's not cheap.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Joveen (07-17-2019), Leonardo (07-17-2019), soundman98 (07-17-2019), zac8 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #4
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I choose Gtechniq Crystal Serum + EXO cause it's the only ceramic coating that lasts 3-5 years if applied by yourself or 7-10 years if applied by a professional, it's cost is reasonable and quite easy to work with!
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
zac8 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
Windycitystig

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Watch the Junkman YouTube videos. It’s more about technique and process than products.
Windycitystig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycitystig For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-17-2019), zac8 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac8 View Post
Any opinions or methods are welcome. its been a year since i've had my tS and I figured i should give it a fresh wax. Should I use specific black paint wax? Specific black rim wax? Any steps other than the usual wash down before I wax it? Should I use a sealant before waxing? Any specific items for applying the wax?

Sorry if this is already a thread. I have never waxed a car before so I really have no idea what i'm doing with this.

Thanks in advance

I've been using McGuire's quick spray wax, and my '13 looks great still. I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs. Whats great about this stuff is it is easy to apply: spray rub in, then rub it around with a dry cloth and your golden with a great coat of wax. Also gives my asphalt color an amazing shine and works great with black as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G175...gateway&sr=8-9
^trust me this stuff is super easy, you can do the whole car in 30 mins and the wax will feel as good if not better than it was when brand new at the dealer.

also to mention

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4NC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

^This isn't just wax but it offers a pretty solid protection and finish but you gotta do it once every week or two.

*Edit: you want to wash and dry the car before waxing, the waxing process takes less than 30 mins, but you get a thick layer comparable to expensive wax jobs.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
zac8 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This topic is always a can of worms... good luck!

Here is what I personally use on my DGM paint:
(1) Coat of Jescar Powerlock Plus paint sealant
(2) Coats of Collinite 845 insulator wax
Top coat of P&S beadmaker after every wash.

Yes I am a fan of Obsessed garage lol... It might be overkill but I love the results and it has been an excellent combo for me. Collinite would work well by itself as a single coat and one bottle should last you many years. It is also very easy to apply and remove with lots of examples on youtube.

Youtube is a great resource for how-to's but keep in mind that many of the larger channels around detailing will be pushing their own product lines, so their opinions will usually be biased towards trying to get you to buy their stuff or products they shill from their sponsors. One that immediately comes to mind is chemical guys... I use their VRP for my tires and plastics but that's about it. They are probably the most obnoxious about pushing their premium priced but average performing products.

Here are my results from an intensive detail I posted back in March after owning the car for about 2 years (~40,000KM):

Full wash with high pH soap (2 bucket method on paint, 1 separate bucket for wheels)
Claybar
Iron-X decontamination
1-step polishing
1 Coat Jescar Powerlock+
2 Coats Collinite 845 wax
CarPro Flyby Forte to windshield
Full interior clean/detail
Switch back to summer wheels/tires

Was it really worth all of that effort and 25+ hours of work? To me absolutely yes... but most people think that is crazy. Without going to this extreme, after proper preparation a single coat of wax can be applied in about 30 minutes and should work just fine for the average person.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-18-2019), RToyo86 (07-27-2019), soundman98 (07-17-2019), zac8 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs.
ironically, i usually get comments about how clean it is only after i haven't washed it for weeks and driven through rain storms.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #10
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
Youtube is a great resource for how-to's but keep in mind that many of the larger channels around detailing will be pushing their own product lines, so their opinions will usually be biased towards trying to get you to buy their stuff or products they shill from their sponsors. One that immediately comes to mind is chemical guys... I use their VRP for my tires and plastics but that's about it. They are probably the most obnoxious about pushing their premium priced but average performing products.
exactly the point i was trying to make, but you made it better

Quote:
Was it really worth all of that effort and 25+ hours of work? To me absolutely yes... but most people think that is crazy.
whew! that makes my full week, 4hrs/day detail job sound less crazy!
wolffbite (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
now, THAT is just waaaaaaay too simple -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This topic is always a can of worms... good luck!
I see a smudge on your garage floor - I think you should get on that -

(nice shine on your car - )

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
wolffbite (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #13
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
sealant/wax is basically the same, though wax GENERALLY implies carnauba (natural) and sealant implies synthetic. but this isn't consistent across marketeers. so no, you dont apply a sealant and then a wax

I dont see a reason to use carnauba based wax these days but some still swear by them. For a daily driver just use a simple, easy to apply synthetic sealant like Meguiars Ultimate. It lasts half a year and shines up as good as anything else.

black paint doesn't require special wax or anything, but buy some NICE soft microfiber towels so you don't add swirls and mar your paint. dont cheap out on this step. also use the "2 bucket" system to minimize rubbing dirt into the paint when washing.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I've been using McGuire's quick spray wax, and my '13 looks great still. I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs. Whats great about this stuff is it is easy to apply: spray rub in, then rub it around with a dry cloth and your golden with a great coat of wax. Also gives my asphalt color an amazing shine and works great with black as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G175...gateway&sr=8-9
^trust me this stuff is super easy, you can do the whole car in 30 mins and the wax will feel as good if not better than it was when brand new at the dealer.

also to mention

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4NC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

^This isn't just wax but it offers a pretty solid protection and finish but you gotta do it once every week or two.

*Edit: you want to wash and dry the car before waxing, the waxing process takes less than 30 mins, but you get a thick layer comparable to expensive wax jobs.
that quick spray wax is freakin awesome. it lasts for months. great to use in between "real" waxing.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
DandoX (07-18-2019)