follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #127
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ahhhh that makes sense!
He can only say what the marketing folks tell him he can say until the official releases are out there. That is the whole problem with people that believe articles written based on "interviews". The interviewers take something and spin it to what they want even if that wasn't what was meant.
Absolutely and that's why it's tough for me to believe what he says. Are the fake vents really functional? Toyota has been doing it for a while now; Tacoma hood scoop, Lexus and Camry bumper teardrop vents and now the Supra vents.

He is beloved here by many 86 fans but with the Supra, the spot was even bigger. Unfortunately the Supra went from Legendary to most hated car of 2019-2020.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #128
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,189 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Really? I don't think so. The MT is alive and well in Europe and Asia.

The USA will be the death of the MT not it's savior.

And here we go again. That may be true for the average appliance car, but the US enthusiasts are the ones making the most noise, time and time again, about sports cars coming without manual transmissions. It's the only reason the V10 M5 had a manual option, and it's the reason the GT3's manual option returned.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #129
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Absolutely and that's why it's tough for me to believe what he says. Are the fake vents really functional? Toyota has been doing it for a while now; Tacoma hood scoop, Lexus and Camry bumper teardrop vents and now the Supra vents.

He is beloved here by many 86 fans but with the Supra, the spot was even bigger. Unfortunately the Supra went from Legendary to most hated car of 2019-2020.
It isn't what he said that bothers me it is what is reported that he said.
Was there an error in translation?
Was the comment out of context from the rest of the conversation? This is a big one!
Did he misunderstand the question?
Did he even say the comment at all?
Was there some journalistic liberties taken during editing?

I have an almost pathological distrust of any journalist from a website that depends on clicks to make money. They have far to much interest in getting those clicks so stories are often of dubious quality when it comes to real information. Now, whoever the "insider" was that was updating the Supra forum they were almost bang on the money with everything they said.
Dadhawk (01-28-2019), HachiRokuX (01-28-2019), RRnold (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #130
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
And here we go again. That may be true for the average appliance car, but the US enthusiasts are the ones making the most noise, time and time again, about sports cars coming without manual transmissions. It's the only reason the V10 M5 had a manual option, and it's the reason the GT3's manual option returned.
That segment is under 1% of the total sales. They may have success on some models but will not save the MT all on their own no matter how vocal they are.
Europe and Asia aren't making noise because the MT still rules there.

Keep in mind that I am one of the guys that want to keep it alive and will be sad when it is gone.
Dadhawk (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #131
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Really? I don't think so. The MT is alive and well in Europe and Asia.

The USA will be the death of the MT not it's savior.

I meant although you used to have more AT cars around the world until now, every new sport car exported to USA is usually manual contrary to what European drivers prefer last few years, serial, ECVT or automatic gearboxes.
For example Porsches, BMW M or other German cars won't have MT versions for EU although US drivers can buy them with MT.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #132
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,145 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Thanks for so much insight! Who knew? Of course, Tada would never have done such a foolish thing, like no MT. That is of course superiors ... no no ... dark powers! We should act and show this is not acceptable.

Let's all shout together, we want our MT!

ok? We get you don't care about MTs, so why bother posting? Tired of reading folks clinging onto ancient technology?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #133
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is why the original first iteration of the 86/BRZ will never happen again. The committee has retook the company.

Either that or Tada has become senile.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #134
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,042 Times in 687 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
ok? We get you don't care about MTs, so why bother posting? Tired of reading folks clinging onto ancient technology?
Fanaticisim, I guess ... so annoying. Otherwise, I have no problem with people who like MT. Drive whatever you want. But don't tell me that MT is the only way to enjoy driving. Actually, just the opposite is true for modern high-performance sports cars.

“The only people who ask for manual gearboxes are two or three diehard British car journalists,” said Nicola Boari, the head of product marketing at Ferrari. Ferrari stopped selling sticks in 2011.

“We develop our cars to have class-leading levels of performance, grip, and handling,” Boari said. “For the technological level of integration our cars offer, a manual gearbox would reduce the performance capabilities—which, for Ferrari, is unacceptable.”

“These days, people are educated to the fact that it’s faster to drive with paddle shifters or the DSG gearbox, especially people who have been buying sports cars for a long time,” said John Paolo Canton, spokesman for McLaren in North America.

Read the rest, if you care, there
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #135
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
European drivers prefer last few years, serial, ECVT or automatic gearboxes.
You sure it's European Drivers or the European Union?

I mean they can't even buy incandescent light bulbs over there.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #136
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,369 Times in 8,676 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

“We develop our cars to have class-leading levels of performance, grip, and handling,” Boari said. “For the technological level of integration our cars offer, a manual gearbox would reduce the performance capabilities—which, for Ferrari, is unacceptable.”
Translated, we have to make them as easy to drive as possible for the unskilled buyer.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #137
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Translated, we have to make them as easy to drive as possible for the unskilled buyer.
Sigh! Don't you get it? It is not humanly possible to drive one of those cars at their performance level while stirring that stupid stick. If that stick is more important to you than the car's performance, you are not a sports car enthusiast, you are just a fanatic fixated to that stick. Performance driving is fighting against the laws of physics, not acrobatics between a pedal and stick.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #138
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,369 Times in 8,676 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Sigh! Don't you get it? It is not humanly possible to drive one of those cars at their performance level while stirring that stupid stick. If that stick is more important to you than the car's performance, you are not a sports car enthusiast, you are just a fanatic fixated to that stick. Performance driving is fighting against the laws of physics, not acrobatics between a pedal and stick.

Getting .002 second faster lap time is not the priority of most owners, it is the experience. Go hang with a bunch of Ferrari club guys and ask them how they feel about no MT being available these days, and how their older MT Ferraris values are going thru the roof.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #139
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
It is not .002 seconds. Go check 911 difference between manual vs PDK. BTW, I would love to own a classic manual Ferrari too.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #140
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
It isn't what he said that bothers me it is what is reported that he said.
Was there an error in translation?
Was the comment out of context from the rest of the conversation? This is a big one!
Did he misunderstand the question?
Did he even say the comment at all?
Was there some journalistic liberties taken during editing?

I have an almost pathological distrust of any journalist from a website that depends on clicks to make money. They have far to much interest in getting those clicks so stories are often of dubious quality when it comes to real information. Now, whoever the "insider" was that was updating the Supra forum they were almost bang on the money with everything they said.
I understand your distrust as I feel the same way with the mainstream media in the U.S. However, this question of a manual transmission availability is a direct question that language barriers would not be an issue; yes or no? If it was in the pipeline, it would have been announced. That guy lost some cool points with me when he said he didn't like the NA/NA2 NSX, Skyline GTR's and TE37's.

I still want to believe in good old Toyota fashion, just like the MKIV, the MKV Supra will also be built for an easy conversion.

Another example, Tada-san talked about the vents and their function. The way I interpreted it was that the vents are fake (non functional) until you pop off the covers and "kustomize" it when you "because race car" as least for the door and hood vents.

I really hope they go as far as Porsche where they offer functional vents or offer the proper ducting that mount to the body and look OEM.