follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #43
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
About 1/3 I come across wave which I return, another 1/3 will hoon like morons, and the last 1/3 is an ignore. If you are in the I5 corridor in OR and you drive like an idiot there is a good chance you are on my dash cam.
Haha.

This is fairly accurate.

I saw a decent-looking twin one night about a week ago. Dark purple or similar color wrap, exhaust, aftermarket tails, etc. Caught up to it, did the 3 hazard flashes to "wave" in the dark (that's what me and my friends do usually if we happen to be driving together and split up to go our separate ways at night).

The guy took that as me wanting him to catch back up to me, fall back, rev out his car, get a bunch of backfire pops/blasts, speed up, fall back, do the same, etc.

That's it.

Like.. okay I know you think that's the best part of your car but clearly you're just trying to compensate for something at that point.

But yeah the other 2/3 are either waves or ignores usually.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Haha.

This is fairly accurate.

I saw a decent-looking twin one night about a week ago. Dark purple or similar color wrap, exhaust, aftermarket tails, etc. Caught up to it, did the 3 hazard flashes to "wave" in the dark (that's what me and my friends do usually if we happen to be driving together and split up to go our separate ways at night).

The guy took that as me wanting him to catch back up to me, fall back, rev out his car, get a bunch of backfire pops/blasts, speed up, fall back, do the same, etc.

That's it.

Like.. okay I know you think that's the best part of your car but clearly you're just trying to compensate for something at that point.

But yeah the other 2/3 are either waves or ignores usually.

It is pretty much the mix for any "enthusiast" car regardless of make, model and year. Ran into the same thing with DSMs, Mitsubishis, Mopars and even the classic car crowd.
30% friendly wave
30% totally ignore (or not notice you)
30% want to race
10% for some weird reason actually appear to get angry that you acknowledged them

This is not a new or Twins specific thing.
HKz (01-16-2019), spike021 (01-16-2019), TachyonBomb (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #45
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
"Hello!"

I don't venture down that way but once every 1-3 months so no silver car hoonage on film.

Lots of blue, black, and white twins for some reason.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Leonardo (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #46
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
If coming toward me it is easy. If coming up from behind or beside me I usually hear them before I see them and look around for the car with the boxer engine. Obviously I find more WRX/STis than anything that way though. Should a quiet one sneak up on me I probably won't react in time to wave and they then get all dejected and post on here how nobody waves. Even when I do instinctively wave back I usually have my tinted windows up so they may see a slight shadow at best or think I ignored them at worst. The moral of the story is that anybody that wants a wave needs to have a loud enough exhaust so I can find them and get my window down.
Oh sound, between the road noise and the music I can't hear anything quieter than an ambulance or police siren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
Im sure most of us can tell by the dimensions of the car and headlights
I can spot one coming up behind me just by the headlight style
Yes, because there aren't at least half a dozen low slung modern sports cars out there. I have no idea how you could tell by the headlights, bright blindy things tend to be very hard to see when they are blinding you.

My area has enough of the douchey vape crowd that I'd probably intentionally ignore them anyways unless I knew their car specifically.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Oh sound, between the road noise and the music I can't hear anything quieter than an ambulance or police siren.

Yes, because there aren't at least half a dozen low slung modern sports cars out there. I have no idea how you could tell by the headlights, bright blindy things tend to be very hard to see when they are blinding you.

My area has enough of the douchey vape crowd that I'd probably intentionally ignore them anyways unless I knew their car specifically.
I don't play my music that loud anymore and as far as road noise goes it is probably in the top 5 quietest cars I have ever owned so it doesn't impact me much. Compared to some I had it is like riding around in a Rolls when it comes to noise.
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #48
why?

Quote:
I don't play my music that loud anymore and as far as road noise goes it is probably in the top 5 quietest cars I have ever owned so it doesn't impact me much. Compared to some I had it is like riding around in a Rolls when it comes to noise.
Yea it is relatively quiet stock, but I've removed everything behind the front seats. They didn't think of the acoustics at all in that situation, which is really odd. They are horrendous, every sound is thrown forward at you.
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Yea it is relatively quiet stock, but I've removed everything behind the front seats. They didn't think of the acoustics at all in that situation, which is really odd. They are horrendous, every sound is thrown forward at you.
LOL why in the world would they consider acoustics with everything removed?
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #50
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
..as far as road noise goes it is probably in the top 5 quietest cars I have ever owned so it doesn't impact me much. Compared to some I had it is like riding around in a Rolls when it comes to noise.
Same here, in fact when I get in a quiet car, I have a hard time driving it. I guess you could say a well insolated car "disconnects" me more from the driving experience like some feel about an AT.

The F150 I had last week was quiet to the point of distraction. I ended up having to roll the windows down to let in noise until I got used to it. About the only noise was the clunk of the starter when the start/stop function was turned on. Trucks, even more so than sports cars, are NOT supposed to be quiet.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #51
why?

Quote:
LOL why in the world would they consider acoustics with everything removed?
Because they made sure to market the car as a track ready bla bla bla. To think there aren't more than a few people using the car as a daily and still taking it to the track on the weekends and removing most of the interior is kind of silly. I'm sure some very slight changes if they were thought out would reduce the road noise significantly. For instance my Yaris was much quieter in the same situation.

Of course, they also might have done it intentionally so that their fancy ass over expensive useless sub sounded better.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #52
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Same here, in fact when I get in a quiet car, I have a hard time driving it. I guess you could say a well insolated car "disconnects" me more from the driving experience like some feel about an AT.

The F150 I had last week was quiet to the point of distraction. I ended up having to roll the windows down to let in noise until I got used to it. About the only noise was the clunk of the starter when the start/stop function was turned on. Trucks, even more so than sports cars, are NOT supposed to be quiet.
Don’t worry, that noise is on the way out too. Jumped in a ‘19 E53 Mercedes the other day, no starter. No belt or accessories either. You push the button and it’s running.

Welcome to the future. The hybrids are even worse.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Because they made sure to market the car as a track ready bla bla bla. To think there aren't more than a few people using the car as a daily and still taking it to the track on the weekends and removing most of the interior is kind of silly. I'm sure some very slight changes if they were thought out would reduce the road noise significantly. For instance my Yaris was much quieter in the same situation.

Of course, they also might have done it intentionally so that their fancy ass over expensive useless sub sounded better.
That is just it. They marketed it as track ready in stock form not with half of it ripped out. Should they also have studied the acoustics with every conceivable exhaust, tire and suspension change that could be made?
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #54
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Because they made sure to market the car as a track ready bla bla bla. To think there aren't more than a few people using the car as a daily and still taking it to the track on the weekends and removing most of the interior is kind of silly. .
Actually I would be willing to bet that this is a single % of the cars that are used this way. It's probably higher than most production cars, but even if its double, triple, or even 10 times as much we're probably talking 2 or 3% of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #55
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Don’t worry, that noise is on the way out too. Jumped in a ‘19 E53 Mercedes the other day, no starter. No belt or accessories either. You push the button and it’s running.

Welcome to the future. The hybrids are even worse.
I wasn't really even talking about engine noise but more road and traffic noise.

Besides, at low speed, that goes away in 2020 anyway as cars travelling under 18.6MPH will have to have pedestrian noise generators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...warning_sounds

I'm in the camp that thinks they all should sound like the Jetson car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #56
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Actually I would be willing to bet that this is a single % of the cars that are used this way. It's probably higher than most production cars, but even if its double, triple, or even 10 times as much we're probably talking 2 or 3% of them.
I will up the ante on the bet and say that more than half are probably bone stock or have very minor cosmetic mods only. Those people don't usually hang out on forums though so we only see the modified ones.
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)