follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Zoomie

Drives: VW R32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Been down this road before?

Well,
I guess as you get older you see stuff more than once. For instance, along time ago I bought a Mazda Miata when they first came out. Lots of hype, lots of rumors and lots of screwed up dealers trying to milk the last nickel out of customers. Fast forward a few years Lotus Elise, same thing. Fast forward again to the Porsche Croc S, VW R32 and now the BRZ. I walked into my local dealer and after i introduced myself and provided the car I was interested in, the rep immediately went to limited availability. I headed for the door. The guy asked where I was going? Out I said. Why he asked? i said that within 150 miles of this dealership there are 6 dealers who have slots for cars. Limited availability affects you, not me. If you don't sell you don't make money simple as that. If your manufacturer or distributor is throttling availability or production it's on you, not me. I then left. Guys, don't get wrapped around the axle over this car. I think this going to be a fun little car. It'll be a breath of fresh air, but ultimately a car and the dealers need to sell them to make money. Be positive, be firm, but be ready to walk away if there are shananigans. Yes, I have a deposit for a Satin White Pearl, MT with Limited package and yeah, I can't wait!But guess what? Next year Subie and Yota will have the new improved version. Bank on it, and if not them somebody else will...
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zoomie For This Useful Post:
aethelwulf (05-20-2012), Brett (05-20-2012), exmayol (05-20-2012), Guff (05-20-2012), Lighting Red (05-20-2012), Lonewolf (05-20-2012), MF_DEUCE (05-22-2012), ngabdala (05-20-2012), NWIguy (05-20-2012), Sonex51 (05-20-2012), Subaruwrxfan (05-21-2012), thill (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Most important thing is being able to walk away, it will say more than almost anything you say with your mouth.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well said OP. The hype machine is at work right now, next year they will be far more readily available and improved no doubt (much to my chagrin as a first year buyer though...)
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
AshWilliams
Groovy

Drives: GMC Sierra
There's one on ebay for 40,000 buy it now price.

There are idiots everywhere.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Well said OP. The hype machine is at work right now, next year they will be far more readily available and improved no doubt (much to my chagrin as a first year buyer though...)
I'm starting to think I'll be a second year buyer, if only because it seems like my dealership is never actually going to get any.

Maybe I need to start perusing out of state dealerships with available allotments... New England road trip perhaps?
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Well,
I guess as you get older you see stuff more than once. For instance, along time ago I bought a Mazda Miata when they first came out. Lots of hype, lots of rumors and lots of screwed up dealers trying to milk the last nickel out of customers. Fast forward a few years Lotus Elise, same thing. Fast forward again to the Porsche Croc S, VW R32 and now the BRZ. I walked into my local dealer and after i introduced myself and provided the car I was interested in, the rep immediately went to limited availability. I headed for the door. The guy asked where I was going? Out I said. Why he asked? i said that within 150 miles of this dealership there are 6 dealers who have slots for cars. Limited availability affects you, not me. If you don't sell you don't make money simple as that. If your manufacturer or distributor is throttling availability or production it's on you, not me. I then left. Guys, don't get wrapped around the axle over this car. I think this going to be a fun little car. It'll be a breath of fresh air, but ultimately a car and the dealers need to sell them to make money. Be positive, be firm, but be ready to walk away if there are shananigans. Yes, I have a deposit for a Satin White Pearl, MT with Limited package and yeah, I can't wait!But guess what? Next year Subie and Yota will have the new improved version. Bank on it, and if not them somebody else will...
Awesome. If only more people did stuff like that...instead of saying, oooh, it's super rare and new, here's an extra 5K for your ridiculous markup.

I still remember the last time I went car shopping with my dad in 2008. We walked into a Mini dealership. My dad drove a Cooper S and liked it, so we went inside to talk numbers. The salesperson brought out the foursquare worksheet () and then talked about how rare and limited the car is, and how they're marking it up 2K. I said get get outta here with that bs, and we walked out. We went next door and bought a BMW without much haggling instead.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Limited availability affects you, not me. If you don't sell you don't make money simple as that. If your manufacturer or distributor is throttling availability or production it's on you, not me.
I agree. If there is limited availability of the BRZ in the first model year it's Subaru of America's fault. If that happens dealers should be complaining about SOA's questionable judgment and inability to supply cars. Personally I was a big fan of the 300ZX, and while the 350Z had rather healthy initial US sales, it sort of fell off after initial demand. This car is cheaper than the 350Z, and slightly more practical, so in spite of my opinion that this forum generally overvalues of the car, I think it's possible SOA could have underestimated initial demand. Of course one difference against other cars that I've followed is that Scion is basically selling the same car, so if I was a dealer I wouldn't be pleased by the reportedly higher Scion supply.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alluringreality For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
OP is speaking truth! In a dealership, nothing speaks louder than your feet. Though I think that the dealers have some leverage with this car.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm prepared to walk even if they pull some bullshit after I test drive my car and love it. I'll find one somewhere else or I'll get another fun car. Maybe an EVO